A Couple of Annomolies Observed in MSFS2020 for Comment and Consideration

When using either SIM Brief or the built-in flight planner in MSFS2020, it seems if a standard terminal departure is entered into the plan discontinuity will result in the first leg which prevents the plan from being created or flown. The discontinuity can neither be cleared or modified. Not setting a departure procedure in the plan will eliminate this error.

It's also not uncommon to find another discontinuity along the route which however can be cleared from the plan enabling full normal process of the plan to the destination runway. Hopefully, these are fixes in progress.

At times during the flight with established cruse speeds below the maximum of the plane, suddenly the airspeed will increase beyond the maximum allowed for that altitude triggering the over-speed warning requiring immediate intervention.

I have primarily fly the CRJ-4 with its Collins FMS. Perhaps this is something connected with this mod, otherwise the I have had no issues but these. The FMS works perfectly and would seem as close to real world as possible except for the items above. I also use RNAV approaches regularly without issues which provide glide path accuracy dead on down to and below minimums at the runway threshold before taking over control from the auto pilot. It's quite interesting to watch both azimuth and vertical guidance steps along the plan and at the approach. Much thanks to CorporatePilotDad for some excellent videos and assistance!

Is there a native flight recorder in MSFS2020? If so, can it be started and stopped at anytime along a flight? If it there is one but it's limited can someone recommend a one with this capability. Thanks

Processor 11th Gen Intel® Core i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

Nvidia Geforce GTX 2060

Is there a native flight recorder in MSFS2020? If so, can it be started and stopped at anytime along a flight? If it there is one but it's limited can someone recommend a one with this capability. Thanks

The built-in Xbox Game Bar can record video, the keyboard shortcut is Windows + G.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Are you flying the WT CJ4 or the MSFS stock version? Whatever, I'd strongly recommend the WT version which is currently as near to real life as anything else in MSFS.

The "discontinuities" you're seeing when putting in a SID are actually normal, although it doesn't happen everywhere. Basically what it means is the aircraft is expecting to be told what to do when it reaches that point - IRL you would be given radar vectors to your next waypoint. And, yes, you can't clear a disco after a "Vectors" leg.

I let the aircraft fly the plan to the vectors point then do a "Direct" to the next waypoint, not forgetting to "Execute" of course, as the sim ATC currently can't handle vectors. If you do nothing the aircraft will continue on its last heading until you do do something, such as manually turn it (using "Headings" if you want) back to the next waypoint where, by ensuring you have NAV selected, it will carry on with your flightplan.

As to fluctuating airspeed, the CJ4 does not have autothrottle so you need to watch airspeed yourself and control it accordingly. I've never had it suddenly jump although I have heard that crossing a sim weather boundary sometimes affects indicated airspeed and may cause the overspeed warning you are seeing.

Finally I have a programme "Flight Recorder" which I think I got on Flightsim.to which seems to work very well, although I've not had much use of it. There is a good Utube review but, sorry, can't provide a link. Search Utube maybe?