Remembering FS9 Pioneers

pilotposer

There are still a few that haven't been mentioned yet and have retired from FS9 and given up further creations. I am thinking, for example, of John Young (JYAI). And that's quite symptomatic.

You have listed numerous names of very appreciated persons here which have supported and promoted the further development of FS9 with decisive contributions. With a few exceptions, unfortunately we can no longer count on their cooperation.

Therefore my simple but very apprehensive question: who will follow? If any. I don't think anyone has seriously understood and noticed the latent impoverishment of FS9.

Bernard

The late Gary Russell for some excellent aircraft. His unfinished but still useable Bristol Superfreighter and Canadair CL-44 are well worth having. Also the late Leon Louis who gave us a large number of fictitious but very enjoyable Quebec airfields sceneries. Finally Don Grovestine ,maker of superb British Columbia airport scenery, who's recent death was announced earlier in this thread.

There are still a few that haven't been mentioned yet and have retired from FS9 and given up further creations. I am thinking, for example, of John Young (JYAI). And that's quite symptomatic.

You have listed numerous names of very appreciated persons here which have supported and promoted the further development of FS9 with decisive contributions. With a few exceptions, unfortunately we can no longer count on their cooperation.

Therefore my simple but very apprehensive question: who will follow? If any. I don't think anyone has seriously understood and noticed the latent impoverishment of FS9.

Bernard

Who will follow? Hard to say; it's a foregone conclusion that whomever picks up the mantle, it's purely for the love of the Sim. You're not going to see new content from the big Payware companies; as long as they can make top dollar on their existing offerings (they can thank the online Retailers for that), they'll keep selling them, regardless of how long ago they were 'made'. To them, FS9 is obsolete.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Don't forget the absolutely massive amount of mind boggling brain-, research- and developement work performed by strongly dedicated FS teams at Microsoft and which resulted in ever more sophisticated versions of FS, including the production of extra software for developing/supporting decentralized FS extension/addon activities by growing hoards of enthusiastic FS users and commercial companies the world over.

Hans

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a stupid I am. How could we forget Manfred Jahn? We wouldn't have a really good DC-3 without him!

Don't worry... I'll remember more.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I'm sure I have said this before somewhere in this forum, but it's worth saying again in this context. The freeware builders of both aircraft and scenery have turned FS2004 into, I think, much more than MS ever imagined when they first put the software together. Many thanks to them all.

For me, Jordan Moore HoverControl Thanks for all the choppers!

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I miss these guys, they always brought excitment to the hobby.

Mike Stone- the king of good basic aircraft

Milton Shupe- creator of the finest freeware

Melvin Raffi- Boeing 777 master

Ken Mitchell- his panels are timeless

Gary J. Smith- Gary's enthusism was unmatced

Opa Marshall- was the Man

Finally the Flightsim Developer Awards

I think we must add Vincent V/D Hof, Hiroshi Igami, Warren C. Daniel, and every member who worked at freeware models made by Project Opensky, and even by Tenkuu Development Studios.

For Hevy Jet Soundsets: Mike Maarse and Christoff Petersen.