Copying FS2004 from to a NEW PC

btbenoit

I did the copy and paste method, and everything went smooth except my addon scenery. It's in the folder, just not in the game. I'm having to re add the scenery. Did I forget to copy/paste something? Windows 10

Thanks

Should be in the root folder of FS9. You may have to enable "show hidden and system files".

With a few exceptions you can put scenery files anywhere on your computer and as long as the path in scenery.cfg is correct the sim will find them. (Mine are on a different HD, so one drive can read the program while the other reads scenery.)

Should be in the root folder of FS9. You may have to enable "show hidden and system files".

With a few exceptions you can put scenery files anywhere on your computer and as long as the path in scenery.cfg is correct the sim will find them. (Mine are on a different HD, so one drive can read the program while the other reads scenery.)

Did that, I still don't see it. Even tried to do a file search from the main FSP folder. Nothing?

There is a searching tool named "Everything". Install it and it will literally find everything in your system.

BTW, I would highly recommand to evrybody to do regularly special backups of the actual scenery.cfg. It's just a well-intentioned advice!

Bernard

Edited by leuen

There is a searching tool named "Everything". Install it and it will literally find everything in your system.

BTW, I would highly recommand to evrybody to do regularly special backups of the actual scenery.cfg. It's just a well-intentioned advice!

Bernard

I have a backup on 2 different hard drives from a few years ago and both of those don’t have the Scenery.cfg either.

Bernard

I found it!! C:\users\(Name)\appdata\local\virtualstore\programfiles(86)\microsoftgames\flightsimulator9

That is a nifty tool. Thank you Leuen

Location probably depends on your OS and system configuration. Backing up scenery.cfg, fs9.cfg, and the logbook is almost mandatory, all are known to get corrupted (my method is simple and keeps the backup in the same folder ready to use - right click on the file and "add to zip", need to restore, right click on the zip and "extract here").

Everything is good, and fast, due to maintaining a database of all files, but this also makes it a resource hog for what it does; on my system with merely two 500gig drives Everything uses over 300meg RAM constantly.

As you're successfully using the Everthing tool, you should search for 'traffic bgl'. If you don't get any results, it means that you haven't create any AI traffic. Anyway, you should be more precisely about what you have done up to now. Otherwise nobody would be able to support you with helpful advices.

Bernard

As you're successfully using the Everthing tool, you should search for 'traffic bgl'. If you don't get any results, it means that you haven't create any AI traffic. Anyway, you should be more precisely about what you have done up to now. Otherwise nobody would be able to support you with helpful advices.

Bernard

Ok, sorry. I'm new to this forum stuff. So basically what I did is install FS2004 from my disc to My laptop. Then I copied and pasted all the Flight Simulator 2004 files from C:\program files (86)\flight simulator 2004.

Also on my laptop I dont have C:\users\(name)\appdata\roaming\ to put fs9.cfg in

Where do I put traffic.bgl?

Edited by btbenoit

What AI? Is it an addon? If so, which?

I wish I could be more specific. I have a lot of add on scenery where AI aircraft fly to. A lot of the MAIW scenery also. A couple I flew yesterday is the MAIW Pensacola NAS and New Orleans NAS and Louis Armstrong airport.

Edited by btbenoit

Bernard

So from what I'm seeing, all my traffic bgl files are there

Flight Simulator 2004>scenery>world>scenery

Guys, I want to apologize. I'm sure I'm making things confusing with the questions and answers, so if it's ok, I like to start over. I will refer to Flight Sim 2004 as FS9.

I did a complete new install from the fs9 disc's to my laptop pc w/ Windows 10. C:\Flight Simulator 9

Installed the fs9 update

installed the fs9 no cd patch

I copied the folders and files from C:\program files (x86)\flight simulator 9 FOLDER ONLY!! from my old pc (it has been installed on for many years)

Pasted the folders and files in C:\Flight simulator 9 on laptop pc

I right clicked fs9.exe, changed to windows service pack and run as administrator and created a short cut to the desktop.

I'm hearing a lot of you saying, and I'm seeing files in other areas, so I'm not sure if I have everything.

I'm not sure where to put fs9.cfg

The AI aircraft from add on scenery that I have installed are not showing up. None flying or on the ground. Traffic BGL seem to all be in the right place.

Thanks for all the help

I'm not sure where to put fs9.cfg

The AI aircraft from add on scenery that I have installed are not showing up. None flying or on the ground. Traffic BGL seem to all be in the right place.

The file fs9.cfg would have been created when you installed from disc. In Windows 10 it will be at a location similar to this:

C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\Micxrosoft\FS9

The files at such locations are hidden by default, you may need to "show hidden files" to see them.

I would advise against copying the old fs9.cfg across. This file contains settings specific to your computer. As you are moving files from a different computer you could find some of the settings are unsuitable.

The file Traffic.bgl is for the FS9 default AI traffic. If you have created your own custom AI traffic you will have created traffic files under other names. These are usually located in Flight simulator 9\Scenery\World\Scenery .

If both the aircraft and traffic files have been copied from your old installation, they should be working. Check your FS9 settings: Settings > Traffic > Air Traffic.

John

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!