FSX Build Capability

Hey All,

Wondering if this FSX SE build is capable of 50-60 FPS in 4K at a complex airport, in a complex aircraft, with decent AI traffic, in weather.

Aorus Z490 Master Waterforce

i5-10600K overclocked to 5.2

GTX-1080Ti

32GB DDR4 3200 14-14-14-34

Samsung 970 Evo NVMe

Windows 10

DX10 with Steve's compatibility files

Thanks as always for the input!

Edited by Ottersphere

Regarding holding it back, it will be running FSX exclusively for a couple years at least. If I ever decide to go P3D, I’ll put a 10900K and 3090 in it once prices have come down. No desire to ever go beyond P3D.

Then you should be good to go. Just don't think P3D will ever fly on that rig. But with options down low enough, it should work.

Just ensure good power supply. I recommend at least 900 watts with such a setup

Not sure if you are grasping what we are telling you. In your first post you listed your computer specs and what you wanted to achieve using FSX. The answer is No, you will not be able to do all of that list in FSX at those frame rates because this video card will not be able to do all that.
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

you will not be able to do all of that list in FSX at those frame rates because this video card will not be able to do all that.

My 1070 wouldn't even ramp up to full clocks at 1440p using FSX. A 1080Ti will be fine.

Cheers!

Why the need for 50-60 fps in the first place? The latest released movies run at 24 fps. They run very smooth right? So set your frames at 30fps max and allow the saved resources to be used elsewhere in the sim.

i7 8086K @ 5.2 GHz, H115i Pro Cooler, GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7, 8GB GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz, 250GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 500GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 1TB WD Black, EVGA 650watt SuperNOVA G3 80+ GOLD, Corsair Black Obsidian Series 750D case, LG Ext Blu-ray/CD/DVD, Win 10 64bit, Samsung 32” Odyssey G70B 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync

Why the need for 50-60 fps in the first place? The latest released movies run at 24 fps. They run very smooth right? So set your frames at 30fps max and allow the saved resources to be used elsewhere in the sim.

Movie and computer frame rates work a bit differently. While movies look smooth at 24 FPS (thanks to things like motion blur and a frame rate that doesn't change), games and sims can feel far less smooth, especially as they are rendered on the fly and more dynamic. Slower rates may not bother some people, especially if you're just cruising along in an airliner, but for others, the slower rate is very noticeable. Indeed, the 24 FPS used for movies was in part chosen because it was the minimum rate required for motion to appear smooth, not that people couldn't see faster rates.

The answer is No, you will not be able to do all of that list in FSX at those frame rates because this video card will not be able to do all that.

I'm not sure why so much emphasis on the graphics card with FSX. With P3D and FS2020 it makes a huge difference, but FSX doesn't do much with the GPU.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I'm not sure why so much emphasis on the graphics card with FSX. With P3D and FS2020 it makes a huge difference, but FSX doesn't do much with the GPU.

How about at 4K?

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

You’re right loki, in the end, the perception of smoothness is what matters, not the exact fps number. The question was just to get a rough idea of performance expectations.

And Inuss, yes I always thought any limitation in FSX would come from the CPU too. I guess with 4K though, the GPU could become a bottleneck too. We’ll see. And it’s not the end of the world if I have to stick with 1440p for a little while. With all the real life going on, it will take me months to get everything loaded and tweaked anyway. Can always upgrade the GPU if need be. First World problems, it’s all good.

Edited by Ottersphere