Indestructable telegraph poles

hjwalter

Hi Guys,

Some time ago I downloaded and installed the rather well made WMKN (Sultan Mahmoed) airport situated along the East coast of Malaysia. The apron and immediate surrounding area was rather sterile looking, as well as the area around the airport itself. So, I added quite some static apron vehicles, many palm trees, tropical forests, static aircraft in local paints, along with some local AI flight plans, etc. etc.......BUT.......when I wanted to take off there myself, I found a whole row of telegraph poles right in the middle of the taxiway leading up to the RWY 4 hold short point.

Try as I may and by using all my trusted "exclude" procedures, I was not able to get rid of these poles but after much "trial and error work" I found that these poles were being positioned by the default file: RD974300.bgl (22Kb) in the default "Asia" folder.

According to my Scasm disassembly program the file contains: "FS2002 terrain data of textured polygon type" but that's it, no further possibilities for finding and deleting these poles. De-activating the whole file does solve my direct problem at WMKN but then also seems to no longer display roads in the area either.

Does anyone of you technical experts out there know of a way to find and delete ALL such telegraph poles from this default file...... please ?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Hans

Telegraph poles are autogen and require an exclude .bgl file to remove them. I would recommend the freeware SBuilder by PTSim: https://www.ptsim.com/index.php/downloads1

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Sorry, gotta chime in here. Telegraph poles were made by AT&T (American Telephone & Telegraph) company circa 1885 ("Great Scott!") and these poles you are now seeing are phone/electric.

Or someone's idea of a good time... (Bring lots of money :D).

I only mention this because I wrote about it on my website.

Sorry, gotta chime in here. Telegraph poles were made by AT&T (American Telephone & Telegraph) company circa 1885 ("Great Scott!") and these poles you are now seeing are phone/electric.

So do you think I have to reinstall them in my GW3 again?:(

Bernard

Thanks Bernard and Tim for your sugestions.

I began with Bernard's link because for me that was the way of the least resistance and it actually worked as well, no more (AT&T or other brands of) poles visible. Thanks also to Tom Gibson for having solved this seemingly structural FS9 issue at an earlier date and against which I had now also bumped myself.

However, I needed to be very careful here because during the TNW (The Natural World) scenery installation procedure, some automatic edits had already taken place in the terrain.cfg file and it's for this reason that I did not copy/paste/overwrite Tom's complete file over my existing one but have instead edited it by using his individual edits, as given in the second half of his readme file.

Tim, I am no SBuilder expert (yet) but I'm learning. I had also downloaded the instructions file but it could somehow not be opened.

Thanks again Guys.

Hans

Tim, I am no SBuilder expert (yet) but I'm learning. I had also downloaded the instructions file but it could somehow not be opened.

Try downloading the file again, it will open if you allow it when the "Open File - Security Warning" window pops up.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Hans,

Certainly Tom's terrain.cfg has been modified. I compared it with a default file, but couldn't find any substantial changes. Maybe Tom will be able to give you more informations. He does frequently posts here. I hardly can imagine placing excluding rectangles in the whole world!

Bernard

Hi Hans,

Certainly Tom's terrain.cfg has been modified. I compared it with a default file, but couldn't find any substantial changes. Maybe Tom will be able to give you more informations. He does frequently posts here. I hardly can imagine placing excluding rectangles in the whole world!

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

I compared my original terrain.cfg with Tom's as well but all I could see was that the generation densities of autogen poles and large advert boards, were being structuraly reduced from 95 to zero, most probably even world wide. Therefore no mondial exclude rectangles, which evidently do not effect autogen scenery objects anyway.

However, my TNW (The Natural World) installation process had even increased some of these "95" autogen densities to 100 but I reduced those to zero as well.

Anyway and as the saying goes: All is well that ends well.

Regards

Hans

I already have quite some experience with making ground texture polygons via the SBuilder program but am still trying to figure out how to specify the (autogen) exclude areas, which would do the same thing as decreasing their densities to zero in the terrain.cfg file, but now only for very specific areas.

Upto now it seems that only rectangular exclude areas can be specified and I've even got as far as producing technically correct exclude BGL files of which their generated names begin with 00 (zero zero) .... BUT ..... they don't seem to want to work, at least not with my (now test) autogen telegraph poles.

Can any of you SBuilder "experts" turn my nose into the correct direction because I must be doing something wrong somewhere and especially after clicking the "exc" tab. The main difficulty seems to be specifying the correct exclude area, which I expected to be more or less the same as specifying a ground polygon. Also, I would appreciate it very much if any of you can confirm that my developing hunch is correct about autogen objects being SBuilder-exclude-proof.

Thanks in advance.

Hans

I found this tip on the FSDeveloper forums: "If you need to remove autogen trees and buildings, the best way is to create an airport background in SBuilder using one of the default textures that automatically excludes autogen."

I found this tip on the FSDeveloper forums: "If you need to remove autogen trees and buildings, the best way is to create an airport background in SBuilder using one of the default textures that automatically excludes autogen."

That may well be true but it doesn't deal with the pole routes, which is the question here.

The only solutions I am aware of are to edit the terrain.cfg file as previously detailed, or to turn down realism settings. Either way it is an "all or none" solution.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

The problem with these lines of telephone poles is that you must exclude the "origin" of the road to get rid of them. Just excluding them in the airport area may not remove them (as Hans has found) - you must exclude an area sometimes miles away from the airport. That took way too much time to search for, so we chose the cfg file route.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

O.K. Guys, thanks for all your reactions/comments but as far as the SBuilder program being directly able to delete autogen poles or not, was for me just a way of trying to bend my learning curve a little further. What I have now and finally learnt though is that editing the autogen densities in the terrain.cfg file, seems the better way to go, even although it's a very "heavy handed" method, which effects autogen pole densities around the whole world.

Thanks again Guys.

Hans