I miss Flight simulator X

As good as the graphics are in Flight simulator 2020 I have to say some thing are better in Flight simulator X, The new one just seems very empty , I still have fun flying Airwolf or even the Jupiter 2 in the old version ,and So so many add ons for the old version, also the price of Aircraft in the new one is ridiculous! maybe I'm getting old !

My computer can run MSFS 2020 (barely), but I uninstalled it for the time being and back to enjoying FSX. Flight sims are all about the addons (pay or freeware) so you can make the sim your own and focus on the things you enjoy. MSFS is still maturing and last time I used it there was just not the degree of fun or personalization I can have with FSX, even though the visuals are spectacular. Hopefully that will change by the time I get a better computer.

“ I might be stirring up a flame war here, but P3D runs rings around MSFS2020. Even more so if you put some work into it.”

Not by me, no.

Everybody’s entitled to their opinion. I have an ex-shipmate who built himself a full 737 cockpit and P3D is ALL he flies.

He swears by it. Which is fine.

Myself, personally, coming from FSX to MSFS, was akin to going from FS 2002 to FSX.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Flame War Avoidance Disclaimer: This post is 100% my subjective opinion. It's only intention is sharing a part of me, not trying to convince anyone to change his/her preference/opinion regarding Flight Sim.

FSX will be the chronological end point for my flight simulator collection. My first exposure to the hobby was FS4 on a tiny black and white Mac back in the early 90s. I was 12. I remember painfully longing for the IBM version with all it's amazing add ons, and a machine that could actually run it smoothly in color. I also distinctly remember the first time I saw the bundled Sublogic ATP with the USA East/West scenery. It was in the Cherry Creek Mall in Denver. The entire US modeled in one place, what an innovation! Then ATP 3DAGS with the first attempt at an FMS/Moving Map, unbelievable!

I finally got my first PC, A Compaq Presario running a P75, in 1995. Flight Simulators were my first exposure to aviation and ended up being the inspiration for my professional pilot career. Regrettably now, I ended up donating all of it to my high school science department when I was in college. Until 2017, the last time I had anything to do with FS was a dabble with FS2002 after I got furloughed following 9/11.

After many years of exclusively doing the real thing, I was caught off guard by how much my curiosity was re-peaked in 2017 when I randomly came across a sealed copy of ATP/USA East/West on eBay. I never ended up getting it before, so I bought it, along with a 486 DX4 100 I found to run it! Over the last five years I have been on a time-compressed FS collection journey of acquiring/reacquiring simulators and PCs. The journey has ranged from FS4 to FS9, including almost every civilian simulator in between. After recently building my first custom PC for FS9, a Windows XP P4 670, the final frontier is FSX.............along with another custom build for it

For all the reasons you all are mentioning, FSX is looking like my final sweet spot in the hobby. Nothing against P3D, X-Plane, or even MSFS, but there is something magical to me about FSX that the others are missing. For whatever reason, my niche in the sim is mostly the world of commercial aviation, circa the 90s and early 2000s. I like to see the aircraft/airlines/airports represented in a sim as they were then. Hah, again everyone, COMPLETELY subjective here I also like a sim to leave at least a slight delineation between the real world and sim world. That blurring really accelerates with P3D, more so with X-Plane, and is officially gone with MSFS. It's understandably inevitable in the progression of the hobby......so be it. But despite the technological achievement, it's meh for me. Even with allllllllll the scenery add ons, FSX still manages to look like a cartoon...................but at an amazing level of detail. So cool.

With the exception of a few true pieces of garbage along the way, most sims have their place in the world. I much prefer the boxed versions of things and have been incredibly lucky to eventually find almost everything I've ever wanted on eBay. As an aside though, I'm surprised at how many crucial patches are no longer available.....would think they would have ended up in a centralized repository on some site by now. Thanks to all on forums who share what they have. Anyway, it's great for all of us to have the ability to pick and choose what suits us best. The cool thing about FSX for me, at this moment in time, is that I get to tackle it with mass developer support, full add on availability, reasonable prices, an established user history, and modern hardware. After six months of research, I'm surprised at how much debate there still is about FSX performance, namely it's multi-core capability. I look forward to answering that question for myself in my new modern build soon!

Thanks for all the posts and to those of you who continue to educate me!

What you have to do, both in FSX and in P3D, is to adapt its configuration file to your particular system.

As this file (fsx.cfg or prepar3d.cfg) comes out of the box, it is pretty much a one-size-fits-all.

There is a sticky on the top of this forum by Kosta, for FSX, and for P3D you go here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/getting_help/advanced_configuration.html

and here:

https://simmershome.de/prepare3d-v5-einstellungen/

For P3D's AffinityMask, go here:

http://izn-flightsim.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/affinity.html

Jorgen

PS: Sorry, a little off topic for the forum....

I'm surprised at how many crucial patches are no longer available.....would think they would have ended up in a centralized repository on some site by now ...

I'm curious, what crucial patches for what sims are you referring to? FSX is my main sim and I've not had to search for anything essential for my rig during my last rebuild. Nothing that couldn't be readily found online, nothing crucial gone - not yet anyway. What have you found to be missing on the great vast Internets of flight sim things?

Edited by ftldave
fix txt