Installler's VS Regular Downloads!

CTarana45

Yesterday I downloaded a plane from Flightsim.com that was a total mess! nor502.zip by Jean-François Martin The gauges didn't show up the panel and the sound was Aliased to another folder! I ended using the default DC-3 panel and sound! I find using straight .zip files is easier then the shotgun approach installers use! --F Minus for Click Team! I'm sure they read French better than I do! My skills are Zero! In the future I'll delete any Non-English installers! :confused:

Christopher Tarana

The simple trick to any of those "Auto-installers" is to have them install to a temp folder on your computer. Then pick it apart to see what's there before it's put into your Sim.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

In all games, and most "productive" software, I loathe installers unless the software is so complex (requiring registry entries, files added to system, etc.) that an automated install is preferable. I especially detest msi installers as these will create registry entries by default, no matter how simple the installed file, and add entries to the "Programs and Features" list which cannot be removed. There is no need for either when the install is merely "move the extracted folder to that location".

Also, many installers will make changes to your game or system without warning; changes which may take you hours to track down and revert.

A simple way around these, for most games (doesn't help with msi), is to create a dummy game install - the basic folder structure and maybe the main exe - and point the installer there. Once it's done you move the files/folders to the actual install.

Another unacceptable practice is those sites where you do not download a file but rather get a small "downloader/installer" exe which you are expected to run ...with no idea of what it will actually do. I delete these immediately and move on.