C-172 Is Too Slow

I am flying the default Cessna 172 in FSX. Usually, my airspeed is in the low 80’s yesterday I managed to get up to 90 nine-zero not even nine-one. At full throttle, I was flying at 5,000 feet ASL, in straight and level flight, after trimming, and yes I have already calibrated my controls including Throttle.

A placard in the cockpit reads “Maneuvering Speed 105 Knots” (I never ever got that fast).

And google says …

“The cruising speed of a Cessna 172 Skyhawk is 122 knots”.

It feels like I am missing something :(

I think that it feels like a configuration problem.

Thanks for your time

JD

P.S. I recently read about “AutoMixture” and it was already enabled (found in Settings / Realism / Engines).

A placard in the cockpit reads “Maneuvering Speed 105 Knots” (I never ever got that fast).

And google says …

“The cruising speed of a Cessna 172 Skyhawk is 122 knots”.

Maneuvering speed is a structural limitation speed, not a speed for some maneuvers- basically that is the maximum speed at max weight at which it is safe to abruptly apply full back elevator pressure without damaging the aircraft.

Cruise speed is stated as TRUE airspeed, and I suspect you are looking at INDICATED airspeed, which is different, depending on altitude, temperature and barometric pressure. Are your flaps up? Are you keeping the aircraft coordinated (ball centered)? What was the temperature at altitude? Are you having the same problem near sea level? What was your weight, compared to max gross?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Maneuvering speed is a structural limitation speed, not a speed for some maneuvers- basically that is the maximum speed at max weight at which it is safe to abruptly apply full back elevator pressure without damaging the aircraft.

Cruise speed is stated as TRUE airspeed, and I suspect you are looking at INDICATED airspeed, which is different, depending on altitude, temperature and barometric pressure. Are your flaps up? Are you keeping the aircraft coordinated (ball centered)? What was the temperature at altitude? Are you having the same problem near sea level? What was your weight, compared to max gross?

Try flying at realistic altitudes as well as listening to Larry and following his advice: The Cessna is NOT turbocharged so aim to max cruise speed at 6,000-8,000 ft, and don't try taking off from any altiports... The structural limiting speed is NOT EVER an `aim` to aspire to!

Wow – I really missed the meaning of Maneuvering-Speed,

I thought that it meant you should be going that fast before practicing turns to not stall,

kind of like a kid must be 48 inches tall to safely go on the roller coaster.

Ok, it means that you can break the airplane with a strong maneuver when going too fast.

Yes, flaps up

Yes, coordinated ball centered

Yes, not climbing nor descending

Temperature at altitude? I will check tomorrow

My weight? Default with magic full fuel tanks, I will check tomorrow

* Regarding Hot-And-High

I asked google for yesterdays weather where I was flying.

KVNY Van Nuys Airport (northern Los Angeles)

Elevation 802.1 ft

Date 05July2022

Time(pdt) 15:51

Wind(mph) S 13

Temp(ºF)Air 85

DewPoint 57

RelHumidity 39%

Pressure-Altimeter(in) 29.89

Pressure-SeaLevel(mb) 1011.1

Google pointed me to a couple “True-AirSpeed” Calculators.

Thanks for pointing me in a new direction

JD

If I recall correctly, you can change the instruments to show actual airspeed.

Been a while though, so I could be wrong.

I used to have a 1967 C-172. I considered myself lucky to make 110mph indicated. My indicator was marked in Mph. I think 110mph is about 95kts. N3760R was a good little plane. We sold it. Then that guy sold it and the guy that bought it didn't handle a crosswind gust and wrapped it into a ball on the way home with it. He lived, but I'm sure he was pretty upset.