Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: autopilot nav and approach modes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default autopilot nav and approach modes

hey all
    whats the difference between autopilot nav and autopilot approach modes...do they use the same frequency?
    thank you

The NAV and APP modes are modes, or methods of operations, not frequencies. Among other things, they are sensitivity settings, so that APP mode is four times as sensitive as the NAV mode -- after all, you're generally closer and tolerances of being on course are tighter -- so basically NAV is used for enroute (VORs) and APP is used for instrument approaches, especially the localizer approaches and ILS approaches.

Localizer signals are on 40 odd-numbered* navigation frequencies between 108.10 MHz and 111.95 MHz, while VORs are on the even-numbered frequencies# in that range AND ALSO on all the other frequencies up through 117.95 MHz. Above that (118.0 to 136.95 MHz) is for radio communications with ATC, Unicom, air-to-air and more.

You can get a tremendous amount of information about this and other subjects from the FAA web site: faa.gov but there are instrument flying lessons built in to the sim and Wikipedia is also a wonderful resource, whether you are looking up NDB or aileron or stringer.

#Actually it's the first digit AFTER the decimal point that must be even.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

hmm... a bit to much to chew,,,a simpler answer will be appreciated.
    dont think I dont thank your help tho.

Quote Originally Posted by pollito View Post
    hmm... a bit to much to chew,,,a simpler answer will be appreciated.
    dont think I dont thank your help tho.
    As I said above: "The NAV and APP modes are modes, or methods of operations, not frequencies." The NAV radios have frequencies but the modes are part of the autopilot, NOT of the navigation radios.

Your question seems to say that you're not aware that autopilot and radio receivers are separate pieces of equipment that tie into each other.

If it's still not clear, then please specify what the actual confusion is. But Nels' answer is the simplest possible.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

ok, ok...Im just a poor ol fart who doesnt know crap about flying a plane.
    what I thot was, that if I approached an airport with autopilot and ILS set, the plane would turn when, the ils signal was engaged.
    and when the approach autopilot was set, the plane would not only turn towads the strip but would aslo glide down to land,
    let me put in more simple terms:
    my plane is sitting in migs field in chicago facing north.
    I want to be able to land in chigaco ahaire by just clicking full throat and when approachin the strip only lower the speed.
    what do I do to do that?
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pollito View Post
    I want to be able to land in chigaco ahaire by just clicking full throat and when approachin the strip only lower the speed.
    what do I do to do that?
    thank you
    Hand fly the plane for the 5 minute flight.

If you don't know the basics, maybe you shouldn't skip ahead like this...

Using an autopilot and doing an ILS approach are considered advanced flying skills. If you try to do those without learning the basics first, you're just setting yourself up for frustration.

Most of the sims have lessons built right in. There's also a wealth of online information that can be used to learn how to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nels_Anderson View Post
    If you don't know the basics, maybe you shouldn't skip ahead like this...

Using an autopilot and doing an ILS approach are considered advanced flying skills. If you try to do those without learning the basics first, you're just setting yourself up for frustration.

Most of the sims have lessons built right in. There's also a wealth of online information that can be used to learn how to fly.
    As Nels suggests, Don't try to use autopilot and ILS if you haven't yet mastered the basics.
    Learn to fly first, then come back after you've flown and mastered the lessons Nels suggests... You are so out of touch with the simulator there is no poiint in us advising you at this point...

All airport runway ILS frequencies also emit a MORSE CODE identifier that you will hear, providing that you have the NAV1 audio button engaged.

Example: KSFO runway 28 right ILS freq is 111.700. The Identifier is IGWQ. Those 4 letters are broadcast in MORSE CODE.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

what do I do to do that?
    Quick and simple, you don't. Read Nels' post again. And don't expect auto-takeoff or autoland, since it won't do that.

First, you need to set up the avionics (radios, etc.) for your specific situation, which requires some understanding of radio navigation and aircraft systems. Then you have to do some hand flying for takeoff, engage the autopilot in the proper mode to take you to O'Hare, then finish raio setup for the ILS approach, then manually fly the airplane for the last little bit of the approach and land the aircraft.

And just as another hint, you DON'T land an airplane by forcing it on the ground. Instead, you get it just above the runway at the proper airspeed and, with much reduced power, try to keep it off of the ground.

So let's go back to what Nels said: "If you don't know the basics, maybe you shouldn't skip ahead like this..." "Using an autopilot and doing an ILS approach are considered advanced flying skills." "Most of the sims have lessons built right in."

So use those lessons to learn the basics. There is a reason why it requires a bare minimum, legally, of 40 hours (in the air) of flight training, plus a considerable amount of time and effort for ground school JUST FOR THE PRIVATE TICKET. Then there is another bare MINIMUM of 40 hours of flight training and an even more difficult ground school in order to get an instrument rating. So it is possible to get through that much, typically, in about 100 hours of flying and many, many, many hours of ground study, and at that point you're just barely qualified to do some of the least demanding instrument flying.

Having said all that, there are many ways to do things in the sim that take a lot more knowledge and skill in the real world, but it's still not a 10 minute instant pilot rating. You still need to start with some of the basics, such as straight and level flight, turns, climbs and descents, plus traffic pattern, finding the runway, speed changes and landing, to oversimplify it a bit, and that does take a fair chunk of time and effort.

And you didn't even indicate which aircraft you're trying to use, which also makes a difference since different aircraft have different handling characteristics and different systems - not a one-size-fits-all.

So at this point you really need to spend some time with the basic lessons in your sim.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast