Hello everyone! Brand new to flight sim. I don't have software or hardware yet. Help!

Roger Jolly

If I am on the wrong forum, please direct me to the proper place. Thanks

Here is what I DO have:

I-7 4500 CPU 2.4 Ghz Laptop

600 GB of free disk

8GB RAM

GT 745M GeForce Video

2GB VRam

Windows 10

My question is, which FS should I purchase? I wish to learn to simulate flight well enough to be able to graduate eventually to "B-17, The Mighty 8th".

Also, what do I need with the software in way of stick/yoke, throttle, etc. to learn to do the above. Thanks for your help!

Not enough computer power for the newer Sim! Maybe FS2004 or FSX-SE for your laptop.

I concur. Not enough horsepower for a `modern` sim. FSX - SE would be my recommendation.

But updating the GP would be my first choice, followed by more RAM.

Welcome aboard!

Unfortunately, don't known if your current rig will do justice to any current flight sim? Perhaps you should consider a lower-end gaming PC to start with that includes at least some minimum specs (as listed on the sim you choose).

Thanks everyone! I've decided to bite the bullet and get a new gaming laptop to use FS 2020+. Any recommendations for a specific build or stock laptop? What system requirements do you recommend to give me the most enjoyment with FS?

Thanks UPHILL3

I have bought a new gaming laptop which has all the hardware I need to do well with my new FS 2020+. I just started to use it for beginning the flight instruction phase. I can only go so far, but I get stuck on going through the instruments. Once I get to the clock setting, it will not let me move on to the next voice prompt by the "training pilot". Any thoughts about how I can fix this? Or do I have bad software? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
I see Mr Zippy snuck in again with what I suspect is the equivalent of a flight sim butt dial. Hey Zip! I checked out your June endorsement of the Logitech joy stick and found it to be on sale at amazon for a ridiculously low price. So I bought it. It is terrific. Thanks for the heads up!

I have the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro, bought new maybe 10 years ago Australian $50. Well made, have hardly used it as I find it too 'sharp', i.e. reactive in its movements, but then again I didn't spend much time to fiddle with the settings in my FS2002 setup. Then I came across an old yoke, which was much more gentle and responsive to small movements. When I get a chance (that damn stuff keeps interfering - life, work, wife, household chores etc. etc.) would like to revisit it.