New graphics card upgrade (??)

I have (hopefully) convinced the boss (wife) to allow me to get an upgraded graphics card for MSFS and my VR system. I am currently getting 15-18 FPS with my settings mostly medium (none are high). I would like to get an increase of FPS to around 30 so my VR is smoother and if possible, get my ingame settings to High. I have tweaked my system the best I can by watching You Tube videos, running Open XR toolkit, latest drivers etc.

I am currently running an NVidia 1660 TI (6 gigs vram).

Here is my motherboard-ASRock B660M-ITX/ac DDR4 Mini ITX, ARGB, WiFi, GbE LAN, 1 PCIe x16, 4 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe (also have a 600 watt power supply

The rest of my system is in my specs. What I cannot do is change out my motherboard, or any other components. I know the 3090 would probably be the best one to get, but I cannot afford $1200 and up on a graphics card

I have watched enough You tube videos that I am so confused about which is better etc.....

So, which graphics card would be the best to get based on my system.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I think your power supply , if not upgradable, will limit your choice of GPU. That being said, you'd need to stick to the lower end of the 3k nvidia cards. A 3060, or 3060 ti might be your best bet. They have lower power requirements. The newly release 3060 with 12gb of vram would give you very acceptable fps in addition to supporting VR. You may have to dip into the 3050 cards depending on the power requirements of the 3060's. The 3070 and up require a minimum of 750w powers supplies.

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

Thanks! As I was looking, learning etc., I feel my power supply might be an issue. It is currently at 600, the card I am considering needs 650. Not too handy at mechanical things, might have to go to Geek Squad to replace, however, I have watched some You Tube videos on how to do it, seems straight forward enough.

Ok-just ordered a 850 watt Corsair, and got a friend who will put it in for me :)

Going to put in a 3070 Nvidia, only problem is, I hope it fits, if my measurements are correct, it should :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Well, upon closer inspection of my power supply (was going off of paperwork), I noticed that I had an 800 watt ALREADY installed.

The new one coming tomorrow, will be cancelled, now all I need to do is to see if the new card will fit, it will be close :)

If you have a standard tower case, you should be ok. If you have a 5 1/2" hard drive rack in the front of the case, many times they are removeable with just a screw driver.

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

Turns out, I had to remove (briefly) the front case cover and fan to maneuver the card into place. Once everything was reassembled I fired the card back up. Still fine tweaking things.

My current graphic card is the same as yours (overclocked, certainly) and my CPU is slightly below yours, and I'm perfectly happy at an average of 60 FPS with my standard 1080p monitor (MSFS settings at High-End).

I think your screen is much larger and you also use VR, so I'm curious to know how much you improve your FPS with your new card.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

My current graphic card is the same as yours (overclocked, certainly) and my CPU is slightly below yours, and I'm perfectly happy at an average of 60 FPS with my standard 1080p monitor (MSFS settings at High-End).

I think your screen is much larger and you also use VR, so I'm curious to know how much you improve your FPS with your new card.

After doing a lot more reading on different forums I found an interesting setting which I did not think about before "Off screen terrain pre-caching" set to Ultra.

Did not make much sense but I figured why not, lol.

The results were night and day!! I went from the low 20's to 40+ FPS. Looking around was very smooth. Yes, I still have some stuttering, but it has been diminished. I also tested it at night flying over Chicago, 30-40 for FPS, flew by the downtown area, was nice!

0102.jpg

After doing a lot more reading on different forums I found an interesting setting which I did not think about before "Off screen terrain pre-caching" set to Ultra.

Did not make much sense but I figured why not, lol.

The results were night and day!! I went from the low 20's to 40+ FPS. Looking around was very smooth. Yes, I still have some stuttering, but it has been diminished. I also tested it at night flying over Chicago, 30-40 for FPS, flew by the downtown area, was nice!

Interesting, will look into it.

So you're not changing cards, after all?

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Interesting, will look into it.

So you're not changing cards, after all?

I have changed cards. The weird part is, I got a marginal increase with the new card (was not really fine tuned), but when I did the Off screen terrain pre-caching and changed it from low to Ultra the results were incredible!

I even put back my old card (1660 TI) and there was a noticeable difference, not enough to send the new card back. I am keeping it :)