Am looking for advice on best gpu

To help you with this we will need your FULL system specs, motherboard, RAM, power supply (yes, that is important, if you have a PS that is near the max output and you add in a big GPU then you could suffer undercurrent which can affect performance.
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

ok i have on oreder intel I7 2700k cpu MSI Mag wifi z690 17oo socket

GameMax RGB 1050W Modular 80+ Gold PSU

ssd 2tb

MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R V2 240mm AiO

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x 8GB)

Patriot P300 256GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 x4

to run windows 10 i have a coolermaster scout case and a veiwsonic monitor 1080p

many thanks

your machine is very similar to mine.

I am using a Nvidia 2070 video card with 4 display ports. Using all 4 ports, with two 17" monitors, 27" monitor and a Samsung 49" curved monitor. I have just about every setting at ULTRA, and I am getting decent FPS -20-30 at low alt and 40FPS up high where the heavens are. There are definitely better cards today, mine is about 18 months old. If it ain't broke, why replace it.

Hobbitrocks

I don't have a founders 3080 (just too much $ when I had my PC built in late 2020). There was and I guess still is a scarcity of cards. I secured an ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 10GB performance edition card through DigitalStorm, and could do that only because it was part of a whole PC package and they were a big vendor who got preference from card mfgs.

I have been very happy with the performance, but I really can't say what is attributable to the card vs the processor (Intel i9-10900K) as it was a complete move to a new machine. I won't go into details, but for sure my older machine struggled even with settings down after I switched to the 4K monitor. I moderately overclock (processor only) and run P3D V4 with three monitors, windscreen is a 4K OLED, OH panel is 1920 x 1080 as it is a touch screen, and lastly a small 10" touchscreen for the FMS also at 1920 x 1080. I don't get away with my sliders all the way up on everything as I have some aftermaket airports, but I have been happy. Your machine build will be pretty similar to mine but of course your simulator is probably more demanding on the video card than mine (I would think, but have no experience with MFS2020).

Edited by LJ45man

I would hope that if you are wanting a 3080 Ti you have long term plans to upgrade your current 1080p monitor to at least QHD (1440p) or UHD (4K). The high end cards really don't "show up" until you crank up the resolution. I had a 1080 Ti in a older rig and used it as a baseline watermark for my 3080 Ti build last August.

On a 1080p monitor there was only about 10FPS difference between the 1080 Ti and 3080 Ti (using the GeForce Experience app for monitoring). However, when I plugged in my 4K monitor, the performance spread was enormous with the 1080 Ti only performing at about half the frames of the 3080 Ti - something like mid-20s vs. low-50s.

Note this was late last summer and there have been several MSFS updates for performance for lower end systems since, so I have no idea how that 1080 Ti will do now (I no longer own it to check). Most of my quality settings were on Ultra where it mattered in visual quality (not all graphics settings make a noticeable difference between Ultra and High). Below are two links from a tech website who last tested MSFS in March last year (they used a Ryzen 9 5950X processor). This gives a pretty good snapshot of what I experienced between GPUs and resolutions when testing last year. I am now solid G-synced at 60+ FPS after the last several service updates on the ground/low to the ground in heavy scenery. However heavy clouds and rain drops it into the 50s.

1080p:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ms_flight_simulator_(2020)_the_2021_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,6.html

4K:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ms_flight_simulator_(2020)_the_2021_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

Edited by N069NT
i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

Thank you for that I am currently upgrading my old i5 system to 17 2700k with msi tomahawk board z690 yes I am looking thoroughly at the gpu 3080 12gb there's a guy on you tube pcbuilder who's researched this very good information many thanks for your help I'll certainly get a 1440 or 4k monitor

I thought you had made a typo when you said you were upgrading to an i7-2700K. I thought maybe you were saying 12700, ha! I just upgraded FROM a 2700k. From what I read, won't this CPU limit the performance of a 3080?

They must be talking about the i7-12700K as an i7-2700k will not work in that motherboard. And, yes, an i7 2700K would be a bottleneck with a 3080 series GPU.

The cpu is alderlake 17oo socket yes it will fit the board in fact jhon of pcbuilder on you tube tested this on fs 2020 and with 4k monitors it's good

When it comes to computer specs and troubleshooting or recommendations, it helps to be accurate to avoid confusion. So in this case you must be talking and i7 12700K, which is very different than an i7 2700K (a ten year old CPU) that you listed.

Indeed I make typo's far too much I've treated myself to msi motherboard 1700 socket tomahawk ddr4 intel lga 1700 2700k psu it's the gpu I need some pointers with I am getting 3080 0r 3080 ti 12 gig nvidia but what's the best manufacture evga palit fore zotek msi whts best then ill buy a 4k monitor as well

Thanks

Indeed I make typo's far too much I've treated myself to msi motherboard 1700 socket tomahawk ddr4 intel lga 1700 2700k psu it's the gpu I need some pointers with I am getting 3080 0r 3080 ti 12 gig nvidia but what's the best manufacture evga palit fore zotek msi whts best then ill buy a 4k monitor as well

Thanks

EVGA is a good brand to go with. If you can get a higher end 3080, like the Ti model, I would go for it.

Regarding the typo I was referring to, you did again. :D A 2700K CPU will not fit in that motherboard, but a 12700K will (note the "1" at the beginning), which is what was throwing a couple of us off. A 2700K CPU is a ten year old model that doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for the sim.