Converting scenery textures to DXT1 in bulk

hjwalter

Hi.

I think the load times Hans referred to are texture and scenery object load times, not the application launch time.

This whole issue in trying to reduce my scenery texture sizes, was based on my assumption that (complex) airport sceneries would then load faster...

Regards

Hans

Hi Guys,

Further testing has now revealed that decreasing scenery texture sizes in batch mode or even individually, can disrupt the way in which their related BGL files handles them. So, for me it's end of story, simply because the results can be so unpredictable.

Regards

Hans

Thinking about Tom and Mark's suggestion concerning cleaning up scenery layers, and on the assumption that FS9 searches for scenery object textures in the local folder, then the root folder then all other folders, you might see an improvement if you run "find_all_duplicate_v2.4.zip" over at avsim, and put all your textures in /FS2004/Textures. You would keep any conflicting duplicates (same name but different image) in the scenery layer's local folder. The app doesn't delete duplicates, just moves them to a sub-folder.

I haven't tried this arrangement but it obviously works for generic textures and for scenery object libraries. Does anyone know if it works? Or causes problems?

If you haven't experimented, you could also try changing values of TextureMaxLoad and TextureBandwidthMult in fs9.cfg

D

Edited by defaid