Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Converting scenery textures to DXT1 in bulk

Default Converting scenery textures to DXT1 in bulk

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of a utility which can convert FS9 scenery textures in bulk, whatever they are, to DXT1 textures and without losing their alpha channels in the process ? I'm now doing this one by one, which can be a long and very tedious process.

Regards

Hans

Always remember, that pushing your stick/yolk forward makes houses get bigger !!

Try ConvIm - Batch Image Converter by Martin Wright: http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/graphix.htm#Latest
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia RTX2060 6Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Win 10 Pro x64

Thanks Tim for your prompt answer.

However, I've already been using the CONVIM program and it's especially this program which in an unpredictable way, seems to like "eating" alpha channels during any of it's batch conversions.

I'll try the advised DLL file one of these days when I have some time, and will report pack in this thread.

Thanks again.

Regards

Hans

Sorry I forgot about Texture Manager. It looks more complicated but that's because there are more options, it works very well with no side-effects: http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?Fold...ureManager.pdf
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia RTX2060 6Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Win 10 Pro x64

Tim,

You are completely correct, in that the Texture Manager program has many more functions than CONVIM, one of them being that the physical sizes of all BMP textures within a selected texture folder can be reduced. However, for me the most important thing was that any existing alpha channels were being preserved during these reductions as well.

But, but, but, ...... After processing about 20% of the contents of any (previously backed up) scenery texture folder, I keep getting an error message saying: "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt". ???? Clicking the "OK" button just gives the same error message but for the next texture to be processed, all the way to the last one.

I most probably already had mwgfx.dll installed in my Win7/64 but downloaded and installed the latest version 4.00 anyway, just to be sure .... but sadly .... no difference.

There's nothing in the supplied PDF program description file about such error messages and any parts of my memory being corrupt, would certainly be a great surprise for me.

Would you have any ideas on the above, please.

Thanks in advance.

Hans

Tim,

I've been busting my brains on this particular problem for two whole days now but have finally found what was causing my "corrupted memory" problem.

It turns out that the Texture Manager program also needs a newer version of ntdll.dll and with version 10.0.19041.423, dated 9/1/2020 now installed in my Win7 64bit system, the program suddenly and much to my surprise, reached it's normal end.

Thanks for your advice about this program. Works great !!

Hans

I realize you want to bulk convert scenery textures to DXT1 but keep in mind sometimes textures require DXT3 to work as intended in the sim. For instance, when semi-transparency or shading is required a grey scale in the alpha channel is needed, which can only be achieved in DXT3 or 32-bit textures.

gaputz,

I agree with you completely and I've already seen what you say about converting DXT3 to DXT1. Luckily I was only testing and have in the meantime reverted back to the original texture folders.

However, I now seem to have comitted a Win7 mortal sin by renaming my existing ntdll.dll into ntdll.dllORGXXX and then adding the newer version in the same Win7 folder. Although the Texture Manager program now at least test-worked correctly it seems that my Win7 is now as dead as a doornail and no longer boots up. Oops !!

Anyway, thanks for your warnings.

Hans

My Win7 being completely dead, i.e. not even getting so far as to boot, was caused by the new ntdll.dll file, which evidently needed all the past Win7 patches/updates to at least be able to boot.

My Win7 is still the original from the DVD and my self built machine has never been connected to the internet, therefore no patches and/or updates were ever installed. However, via a problem solving diagnostic tool I was able to break into the Win7 folder concerned via a kind of back door, to get at the now offending ntdll.dll file, to delete it, followed by renaming the backed up original to it's original extension.

My machine now boots and works normally again .... but .....the Texture Manager program now no longer works. However, that's now become a minor problem.

Regards
    Hans

This whole issue in trying to reduce my scenery texture sizes, was based on my assumption that (complex) airport sceneries would then load faster.
    My first test method in transforming DXT3 textures to DXT1, was not very successful because first of all, many alpha channels were lost during the conversion process and secondly, as Gaputz correctly points out, there were problems with certain semi-transparency textures.

However, in the single and as yet successful case of me reducing the texture sizes of a complex airport (421 textures) via the Texture Manager program, their DXT3 compressions were all retained ..... and ..... loading times for the airport concerned, were noticably faster.
    When now panning around in external view, frame rates and stuttering seem to have improved as well but not really enough to make loud noises about.
    What I have also noticed is that when approaching the airport concerned in good weather and from a great distance, the sudden appearance of an untextured white blotch on the ground and on which the airport scenery objects then begin popping up as I get closer, has diminnished. This is most probably related to the mipmaps which have also been retained.

I'm now testing the night textures and to see if there are any differences in details/apron light splashes, etc.

Regards
    Hans

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast