I have a question for VR fliers here: I hear that VR controllers now work with MSFS. How well do they work? I like using TrackIR, which does a good job turning a 2D-monitor cockpit view into an immersive experience for me. But I have to turn it off to manipulate knobs on Garmin panels -- especially when laying in flight plans and selecting procedures -- because otherwise the knobs become moving targets; I often zoom the cockpit in or out instead of turning the knobs. It's frustrating. How well are you able to "grip" a knob and turn it with your VR controller, or grab a throttle lever, and so forth?

I love the concept of VR flying, but I'm still hesitant to go there. My reluctance is more out of worry that I might become immersed in VR flying to the exclusion of RL activities. But I might yet overcome that concern.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I cannot answer everything you are asking, but I took the VR plunge and have LOVED it!!!

I am able, using the mouse to flip switches etc. in the cockpit, interact with various other items inside as well.

I have what I consider a medium grade graphics card, and using VR it sucks up every gig of memory the card has :) However, I am able to slight OC the card using MSI, the heat it produces is not bad, and it has enhanced the CR experience. Flying at night is wonderful, however, it is a strain on the system, but with various tweaks that I have found, I am able to fly reasonably well at night as well.

the Open XR toolkit, plus watching a LOT of You Tube videos and advice from others on the forum have enhanced my VR experience as well. I love the fact that I can look ALL around at objects, the wife thinks its funny to see me looking around to my left or right (not in front of the screens) to see buildings, etc on the ground.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

What VR headset did you get, and can it be used with glasses?
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

What VR headset did you get, and can it be used with glasses?

I use HP Reverb G2 and yes, it can be worn with glasses. I know this because I wear glasses )

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I use HP Reverb G2 and yes, it can be worn with glasses. I know this because I wear glasses )

Thanks. I'd probably go with the Reverb, if I went... But I would like to find a way to demo one first. You said you use the mouse to turn knobs and so forth. Do you ever have to "chase" the knobs? This is a problem for me with TrackIR, because knobs slip away from my mouse "hand" with even the slightest head movement, and then instead of turning the knob, I zoom the view in or out depending which way I'm turning the mouse wheel. If you look at a knob in VR does it stay put?

Edited by Aptosflier

Thanks. I'd probably go with the Reverb, if I went... But I would like to find a way to demo one first. You said you use the mouse to turn knobs and so forth. Do you ever have to "chase" the knobs? This is a problem for me with TrackIR, because knobs slip away from my mouse "hand" with even the slightest head movement, and then instead of turning the knob, I zoom the view in or out depending which way I'm turning the mouse wheel. If you look at a knob in VR does it stay put?

Because I don't have the "best" graphics card, there is a slight lag in the mouse interaction. I am using an Nvidia 1660 TI, with 6 gigs of video ram, and accourding to my Hardware Monitoring tool, I am using 99.1% of it :) Once I get used to it, it is not a problem.

I don't have to chase the knobs, but I will miss the knob/button/switch from time to time and I have to slowly move the mouse back to where I want it. For me though, once I am up in the air, got the AP going, I am not using the mouse much at all. I am usually using the keyboard to switch from my drone camera to my cockpit views.

a problem for me with TrackIR, because knobs slip away from my mouse "hand" with even the slightest head movement

I cant answer for VR but in track IR you can program a button for F9 which will freeze the frame to prevent the head hand fight for mouse clicks.

eta: It would be very handy to have some sort of "see through" so you can see instruments in your cockpit. Sort of like a button that changes from vr to see actual in front of you or partial lower half see through. Is this possible in VR?

Edited by Buck Turgidson

I cant answer for VR but in track IR you can program a button for F9 which will freeze the frame to prevent the head hand fight for mouse clicks.

eta: It would be very handy to have some sort of "see through" so you can see instruments in your cockpit. Sort of like a button that changes from vr to see actual in front of you or partial lower half see through. Is this possible in VR?

I don't think it is. I have a button on my joystick which will turn VR on and off. That is one way to go, however, the problem with that is, once it is turned off, you have to take the headset off, look at the gauges, then back on to continue flying.

How do you program/map the button to do that, i.e., in MSFS, or in TrackIR?

How did the setup go? Was it smooth; difficult?

It actually was very easy. I followed the directions (think it was a You tube video). Another user on the forum gave me a good tip, set up a key/button to turn the VR on and off, and a key combo to center your view (I use left Ctrl/Shift for that). When I land, I just switch the VR off and take the headset off.

I do find that I need to wait a minute or so when I activate VR, I think it is loading graphics etc., once I wait and then take off it is awesome!!!

• Make sure you have a button on your yoke/joystick that is unassigned
  • Go into TrackIR menu and in your configuration select advanced
  • change the action to pause
  • the default key for pause is F9
  • Left click the grey area and it will ask for key
  • press the key on your yoke/joystick

See Image below

TrackIR 5.4.png

Don't forget to save.

I’ve been using the Reverb for a few months and really enjoy it. I think it’s important to have everything possible programmed to a button rather than relying on the keyboard that you can’t see.

I’m using the Thrustmaster 16000 stick and the TWCS throttle so I’ve got lots of buttons and they are all assigned. The last thing I have to do with the keyboard is the “R” +/- for the Rate, but I don’t use that often.

New here and late to this game and my longish post disappeared probably in the best interest of all.

1) OpenXR and the videos from Pie in the Sky Tours on youtube are critical to dialing in your settings. much easier and quick to change things there imo. Also easier to dial things in.

2) It's easy to pop in and out of VR but it does take a few seconds. It seems best, imo, to not need to leave to change things while flying so in that regard...

3) I have a button box for common and easy to remember changes like flap, ident, COMMS changes, etc. But I have migrated to using the mouse more often than not. It's in reach, holding the left mouse button down and moving the mouse makes changes to the dials, etc. It's easy and as long as your mouse in in reach, it's nearly as quick as having it mapped to a button box.

I have the HP Reverb Pro, it's 3 years old and simpy works fantastic though I'm sure more modern HMDs may improve detail. While I have a 12700k and a 3080Ti, getting frames dialed in took me some time. At O'Hare last night in the 172, i had about 45fps while taxing. A short hop around Chicago and my frames were high 50s.

The HMD is limited to 90fps and while racing online in iRacing getting 90fps was critical for smoothness but that seems to be less the case with msft flight sim. While I'm still focused on getting high fps, there is a level of detail that I was able to dial in using OpenXR seems to have reduced by "need for fps" to exclusion of all else though I'm certain there are things I can still do to improve it.

New here and late to this game and my longish post disappeared probably in the best interest of all.

1) OpenXR and the videos from Pie in the Sky Tours on youtube are critical to dialing in your settings. much easier and quick to change things there imo. Also easier to dial things in.

2) It's easy to pop in and out of VR but it does take a few seconds. It seems best, imo, to not need to leave to change things while flying so in that regard...

3) I have a button box for common and easy to remember changes like flap, ident, COMMS changes, etc. But I have migrated to using the mouse more often than not. It's in reach, holding the left mouse button down and moving the mouse makes changes to the dials, etc. It's easy and as long as your mouse in in reach, it's nearly as quick as having it mapped to a button box.

I have the HP Reverb Pro, it's 3 years old and simpy works fantastic though I'm sure more modern HMDs may improve detail. While I have a 12700k and a 3080Ti, getting frames dialed in took me some time. At O'Hare last night in the 172, i had about 45fps while taxing. A short hop around Chicago and my frames were high 50s.

The HMD is limited to 90fps and while racing online in iRacing getting 90fps was critical for smoothness but that seems to be less the case with msft flight sim. While I'm still focused on getting high fps, there is a level of detail that I was able to dial in using OpenXR seems to have reduced by "need for fps" to exclusion of all else though I'm certain there are things I can still do to improve it.

I've found it to be a balancing act, getting decent FPS and good graphic settings. For me, flying around Chicago, I am getting 15-19 FPS, which is flyable, but not the best. I actually have the 3070 on order and am hoping (1) it will work with my motherboard and case and (2) will allow more FPS (25-30 would be nice) and a slight increase from mostly medium to some high settings.

If I got for more detail (higher settings) then I lose the FPS and am flying at

I recently bought the Oculus Quest2 and find no problem with flying MSFS2020. But what I do find is that it is great with VFR flying in light aircraft where you can just fly, but if you want complex IFR it kind of defeats the purpose of the 3D fun and I prefer to use my Honeycomb controllers and Logitech instruments etc and do the Fir thatbway. But for sheer VFR graphics lovely.

I have a question for VR fliers here: I hear that VR controllers now work with MSFS. How well do they work? I like using TrackIR, which does a good job turning a 2D-monitor cockpit view into an immersive experience for me. But I have to turn it off to manipulate knobs on Garmin panels -- especially when laying in flight plans and selecting procedures -- because otherwise the knobs become moving targets; I often zoom the cockpit in or out instead of turning the knobs. It's frustrating. How well are you able to "grip" a knob and turn it with your VR controller, or grab a throttle lever, and so forth?

I love the concept of VR flying, but I'm still hesitant to go there. My reluctance is more out of worry that I might become immersed in VR flying to the exclusion of RL activities. But I might yet overcome that concern.

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

Inside MSFS, cannot remember exactly where, thinking it was the joystick settings, found a key that I could use while using the VR (easy to find)

It was very easy to setup. The funny part was, the instructions were a You Tube video. Oh well :)

The only problem was that I had to plug one end directly into a USB C slot, the converter they supplied did not work on my system. I did have a USB C slot so it worked out.

Once it was plugged in, power plugged in, my system detected it, I loaded up MSFA and started my VR session. I got a bit dizzy at first :) I was hooked!