Question about monitor resolutions

The Caz

I'm in the process of setting up a simulator and have the luxury of building to the level I want. A major issue is the resolution of my monitor, which could range from a 49" ultra wide at 1080p or 1440p to some type of 4K set up. My first question is how different are the various resolutions visually? A key reason for getting MSFS is the visual quality of the scenery. Is 4K going to be that much better than 1440p, and 1440p that much better than 1080p, or will the resolution not make that much difference so I may as well save on the PC and put my $$$ into peripherals. I plan, incidentally, to move my instruments to a separate monitor or monitors, so the main monitor (could be more than one) will be for scenery.

I realize this is obviously subjective, but I'd like to hear some comments from people with experience. Thanks so much in advance.

Also, one more newbie question. For the life of me, I couldn't;t figure out how to put in a picture or avatar. I clicked on the pic area and nothing happened and I don't see any other way to do it. Thanks again.

Keep in mind, MSTS is a very demanding program at the highest settings. I run a 1440p monitor with my settings optimized for my preferences, and I get >30 fps out in the wide open country I fly. If you spend time in NYC or LA or London or Paris, you will lower fps markedly. At 4K this program is really challenging for most modern hardware. Some can live with 20 fps, others would find that problematic.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I would go for the lowest resolution that works for you, to minimize the drain on CPU and GPU resources. 1080p may be too low: I have a 55" 1080p screen 30" in front of me and I can see the pixels. Mostly I don't notice them, but these old eyes are not what they used to be. Figure out how far away you want to place the monitor, then go to a store with operating displays and check them out at that distance.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, one more newbie question. For the life of me, I couldn't;t figure out how to put in a picture or avatar. I clicked on the pic area and nothing happened and I don't see any other way to do it. Thanks again.

1. Top right of the page, the Settings button.

2. Down the left side of the resulting page, the Edit Avatar option.

3. Select the Use Custom Avatar radio button.

4. Pick one of three options: URL, stored picture or pre-defined avatar. For the first two, either enter the url or click Choose File in the dialogue box.

5. Right down the bottom, click Save Changes.

D

settings.jpg

edit_avatar.jpg

custom.jpg

save.jpg