Original Download won't install on Win11

Brand new Alienware Aurora R13, 12th Gen i9 12900KF (16 core, 30mb cache, 3.2 GHz to 5.2), GeForce RTX3080, 10G, GDDR6X LHR, 64G Dual Chan DDR5, 4400mhz, Win11 Home, 2T SSD+2T SATA; Original Download of FSX around 2008 or 2009. Have reinstalled it several times with no problem on Win10.

I got all the way to Successful Registration! and it cranked up the splash screens and gave the Black Screen of Death upon saying I was already a pilot. The next installs, after a Clean Factory Reset, gave the 1602 error code- installation unsuccessful and rolled back. (Neither will Deus Ex install.)

This is from another post that I'm going to try.

Did you use restsldl.exe?

From the download at flyawaysimulaton?

Did you run it properly?

From a command promt?

And starting that command prompt by clicking "CMD" and selecting "run as administrator"?

Then all typing the commands correctly?

I have some more tricks to try, but any advice is badly needed.

I have the feeling I'll just have to use the new one to play online or some of the newer games, go back to Win10 for FSX, and think about X-plane or P3D. I'm hearing mixed reviews on FSX2022. The downloads take forever, but I'll probably buy it. I hear it will actually run on Win11, but it has only a few of my favorite planes. I've been without FSX for two years and I'm Jonesing after Successful Registration! and then nothing. I should have bought a cheap i5 with Win10, which I've just done to make sure I have a decent Win10 computer.

I have everything I need with the original FSX and my add ons and I'll never use it to it's fullest capacity. FSX will never be used to its fullest capacity. I want my artist friend to design a town.

May the road never rise up to meet you.

I thought the original FSX was discs only? Are you talking about FSX-Steam? If so you need to give more details. Look at the first similar threads below this one

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Not original disks, original downloaded files- a bunch of cabs and an installer, after it had been out for awhile, maybe 2008 or 2009. It is not Acceleration or Steam, or what's the other version? I've forgotten. It's just plain FSX. Paid $35. And then $hundreds on add-ons.

Prob deluxe or gold by looks! You checked out the threads below??

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Gold! That's it. It doesn't matter at this point. I installed MSFS2020 and it looks alright, just gotta figure out where everything is, joysticks and throttles all work. Made a rough landing in the Beech King Air because I couldn't see very well, but I made it. I've got an i5 coming which will run FSX Gold.

I've read everything I could find on the installation. There's always plenty of tips and tricks on here, but I reached out in case there was some other fix. It looks like some people have been able to get it to run in Win11, probably depends on version, and others gave up.

Like I said, it sprang into life and then died. All the way to Registration? What's up with that? MS will not make anything forward compatible and they now own our software. And our computers. They could easily make FSX run on Win11, but then we wouldn't buy 2020, would we?

Thanks for your help.

They could easily make FSX run on Win11,

You have never owned a piece of software in your entire life, just the license to use it.

Any version of FSX installs and runs just fine on Win11.

And almost every MS program out there runs on Win11.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Thought so Jorgen but wasnt 100%. I have certainly never heard of FSX for download except Steam, which obviously runs on Win11.

If he has an illegal copy of gold that will be his issue!! And hard cheese as they say!

Almost sounded as if pcwildman was trying to install saved files from an older installation to create a new Sim install? "Original downloaded files" = Previously installed files?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I highly resent any accusation of piracy on here.

That's your right, but as said above any FSX download except for FSX:SE has a piracy smell.

The unfortunate fact you've paid for it doesn't legalize it.

I wouldn't go as far as saying this is the reason for it not installing.

OTOH I have no expertise in either Win11 or the other thing.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Read the post! I bought it from the flight store here. I have installed it and had it registered several times over the years. It registered again on Win11, got to the splash screen and died. I don't need accusations on here, I need positive feedback and I see a lot of snippy people on here now. Get off it and learn to have some respect for others.

Like it or not mate somethings not right

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?313501-Download-for-Flight-Simulator-X-Standard-Edition

Not your fault obviously but none the less it would seem you have an unauthorised copy of FSX

It's just plain FSX. Paid $35. And then $hundreds on add-ons.

If you've got such a substantial investment in FSX add-ons, why not get FSX-Steam, not lose use of all those additional packages. Yes, some will need tinkering to install properly on the Steam edition but surely that would be the better path than to pitch the lot, nothing against MSFS (except for its sell-now-fix-later business model).

I installed it on my new i5 and it works perfectly. At Registration they told me I had registered it too many times, so after a lengthy process MS called me, from Bellevue, and we swapped 54 digit code numbers back and forth and he activated it. So tell me it's a bogus copy once more. I think the same thing happened years ago when I reinstalled. It may have something to do with why it won't install on Win11, but that install went all the way through Registration and only bombed after the Splash Screens. My version is FSX SP2 (Gold or Deluxe, I'm not sure).

At this point it doesn't matter. FSX is running on my new i5, 2020 on my new Alienware and I'll have a copy of FSX Acceleration soon. I'm also looking at X-Plane now that I have the hardware to run it.

Thanks for all the advice. Happy simming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Part A:

Open the windows start menu, type in "services", and open the application title "services"

scroll down, and find all of the xbox services (xbox accessory management service, live auth manager, live game save, and live networking service). right click, click properties, and set the startup type to automatic for all. Make sure to click apply afterwards

If these 4 services aren't already started, press the start button.

After that you can do the second part now

Part B:

Open the Settings app (the gear in the start menu)

Open Accounts

Click Sign-in Options

Scroll down to Privacy

Uncheck "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update and restart."

Restart your device

This fixed the issue for me, and I was able to download and play the games I previously couldn't. Hopefully this works for anyone else out there.

Regards,

J Wick