Editor for scenery.cfg file for P3D v4.x?

oneleg

My scenery library has items which are checked, greyed out, and inaccessible inside the sim.

I was told NOT to use "Scenery Config Editor v1.1.9" in P3D v4.5 because they could corrupt the scenery.cfg file even when used with Window's Notepad.

How then do I disable these ORBX True Earth sceneries so they don't load in the sim? They're huge (100's of gigabytes).

Thank you.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

Hello, I apologize for my English if it's not as correct as I would...

Sometimes, the scenery.cfg id corrupted by some characters at the begining of the first line.

The problem is easy to remedy : switch to editor inside Scenery Config Editor and erase the blank characters on the left of the first line. Go back to the list, it should be correct now. You may also use a "smart" editor like PSPAD or NOTETAB.

Take care when saving : as a precaution the extent is changed not to erase the real scenery.cfg.

By Principle never use Windows Notepad to work on special texts :

first, it changes the extent of the doc without advertise (in our case, changes .cfg to .txt !

then, in other cases it adds the "BOM" (Begin Of Message) characters.

Instead, use notetab or PSPAD, but, IMHO, scenery config works perfectly.

Good flights

vieil utilisateur de FS (depuis FS1 en 1982 !!!), passé à P3DV4.5

Config : WIN10, 64 bits. AMD Ryzen 7 4,4GHz, 16G RAM, GeForce GTX1070 8G

SAITEK proflight, multipanel, radiopanel, rudder, Thrustmaster Cougar

Site : https://simu.alain-bettan.fr

Hello, I apologize for my English if it's not as correct as I would...

Sometimes, the scenery.cfg id corrupted by some characters at the begining of the first line.

The problem is easy to remedy : switch to editor inside Scenery Config Editor and erase the blank characters on the left of the first line. Go back to the list, it should be correct now. You may also use a "smart" editor like PSPAD or NOTETAB.

Take care when saving : as a precaution the extent is changed not to erase the real scenery.cfg.

By Principle never use Windows Notepad to work on special texts :

first, it changes the extent of the doc without advertise (in our case, changes .cfg to .txt !

then, in other cases it adds the "BOM" (Begin Of Message) characters.

Instead, use notetab or PSPAD, but, IMHO, scenery config works perfectly.

Good flights

Thank you for reminding me about not using a Windows based text editor such as the Notepad for the scenery.cfg file.

Do you know why some entries are greyed out and can not be disabled or made inactive in the scenery library in P3Dv4.5?

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

Hello Oneleg

Showing the List page, you have, on the right of the screen, a count of eventual errors or a white check sign in a green circle if no errors.

could you give me examples of greyed lines ?

* are they recently greyed ?

* where on the PC are located these scenes ?

* is the path in the cfg correct ?

* what are the rights to read them ?

* are they in a protected place ?

These questions come from my own experience (but I never had greyed lines...)

A current mistake is to use the menu File/Save : for security reason, you save a copy named NewScenery.cfg ! so, you must use "File/Save As"...

Do you make regularly security copies of your scenery.cfg, it would be interesting to compare and detect the changes.

As you can see, there are so many explanations/reasons possible.

With your answers, I'll try to help you to solve your problem.

Bye

vieil utilisateur de FS (depuis FS1 en 1982 !!!), passé à P3DV4.5

Config : WIN10, 64 bits. AMD Ryzen 7 4,4GHz, 16G RAM, GeForce GTX1070 8G

SAITEK proflight, multipanel, radiopanel, rudder, Thrustmaster Cougar

Site : https://simu.alain-bettan.fr