FSX Won't Run - Windows 11 - Fix!

Guys, I've been trying EVERYTHING to get FSX to run after updating to Windows 11.

Here's the fix that did it for me... if you are using a virtual private network (VPN),

TURN IT OFF.

Run FSX... it should start up fine.

Turn VPN back on.

FSX is finally working again for me.

I hope this helps some of you who are struggling to find a fix. :cool:

Use full tip....

But are you aware that you don't need to be permanently connected to the internet to run FSX-SE (or indeed most Steam games) if using the game in single player mode....and this should ensure that when Windows update you don't get any issues...

Use the search phrase running steam games offline to find out how....

You can also set Steam to notify you when product updates are available or to auto update when connected to the internet....

Regards

Brian

• 5 months later...
FSX requires Internet Explorer to connect to the Internet. This is no longer supported by Microsoft and is only rudimentarily available on Windows 11. Malfunctioning apps are no longer displayed since Windows 10. If you want to use FSX without internet (without weather), you have to create a shortcut from the FSX directory.

• 1 year later...

Since I upgraded to Window 11, I have been unable to run FSX-SE.  Normally, FSX-SE starts from Steam.  I can start Steam, but FSX fails from there.  Message: "The application was unable to start correctly - error code 0xc0150004."  I tried reinstalling Steam and FSX, verifying the files, creating a shortcut from the Steam-FSX directory, and running as administrator, but no luck there.  From Steam, I can run other applications, such as FS-4 and War Thunder.  I can run MSFS ok, but I can't run X-plane. 

Other things I tried: "Run programs made for previous versions of Windows," and Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.  Tried to run through GeForce Experience, but same results.  I saw a website that claimed FSX needs DirectX 11.  I couldn't find a way to revert.  The version I have now is DirectX 12 Ultimate.  I installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64). Downloaded and installed FSUIPC-4.  All to no avail.

I hope someone reads this and helps me solve this issue.

Thanks,

Gerry 

Dell XPS-8960 - 64GB Memory - Win11 Pro - Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 - 2TB SSD - 1TB SSD - 1TB HD

Go here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=error+code+0xc0150004&oq=error+code+0xc0150004&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCjI1NTg0OWowajeoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

When you see an error code like yours, all I do is to google it. That has saved my bacon a lot of times.

And DX 12 does not mean a thing to FSX, no matter what FSX version it is. FSX wants (needs, demands) DX 9c, so the first thing you might want to do is to get the DirectX Redistributables from Microsoft and install those. Another thing might be ALL versions, both x64 and x86, of C++, and while you're at it, also ALL versions of the .NET Framework, also both x64 and x86. The reason why you also want the x86 versions is that FSX is an x86 application.

Let us know how it goes -

Jorgen