Question for experienced iFly 747-400 (freeware in library) - crash/restart FS9

Qballbandit

Hello,

I was just introduced to an old but great 747 from iFly, in the library here.

I downloaded it, ran the installer, and added 3 updates/patches I found on the other site. I can see the Aircraft in the selection window when in FS9, I can assign it when creating a new flight, but when I try to start the new flight, FS9 crashes to desktop, and restarts.

Same result when I am in a flight and want to swap into the iFly 747.

I am running a WIN 10 gaming machine. Is there may have missed from a download or install perspective? Looks normal in my aircraft folder when examining the "iFly 747-400" folder. Any other users experience this at any point?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best,

Neil

I remember some aircraft for FS2004 had a Sound gauge that had to be added to the Main FS2004 folder or FSX folder that had to do with switch clicks sounds in the cockpit. If that wasn't installed, it would do an immediate crash to desktop just like you described.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Good call Charlie! Open the FS9.cfg with Notepad and add these lines at the bottom of the list:

[OLDMODULES]

FSSound.dll=1

If you've already done that, in this thread: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?234649-Ifly-747-400-vs-PMDG-747-400-Can-Feeware-Beat-Payware there's a good hint that "The iFly 747-400 WILL NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY without GDI+ on Non - WindowsXP operating systems."

You can download gdiplus.dll in 64-bit and 32-bit versions from here: https://www.dll-files.com/gdiplus.dll.html

The 32-bit version goes into C:\\Windows\Sytem32 and the 64-bit version goes into C:\\Windows\SysWOW64.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks gents,

I have had this one plugged in since back in the early days of FS9:

[OLDMODULES]

FSSound.dll=1

I will certainly check out the other links and report back on my successes or failure. Hopefully the former.

Very much appreciated,

Neil

edit: interesting Tim, the link you provided states:

On a 64bit version of Windows, the default folder for 32bit DLL-files is C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ , and for 64bit dll-files C:\Windows\System32\ .

I assume they have it backwards??

Edit 2: No luck, I already have these dll files in both folders. Even went as far as backing them up, and installing the ones from the site, still crashes.

maybe just not meant to be.

Can I find PMDG's version for FS9 is now the question.

Edited by Qballbandit

Smells like a Win 10 'permission' problem. If you installed FS9 to 'C:/Program Files/FS9' then that might be it. Win 10 will not permit changes to files in that folder. Install to 'C:/FS9' instead and then try again. That simple? Sometimes.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks Chuck,

Not new to this, so always install my simulators into a drive specific folder.

Beats me, not sure what else to do other than scrap it. Very unfortunate. Also can't find any link for the payware PMDG 747 for FS9, so I'll take my toys and go home with my tail between my legs :p

• 2 weeks later...
2 things you can check. in the aircraft.cfg file under the [fltsim.x] entries make sure sim= matches the file name of the .air file, for example if the .air file is 747.air then the entry should be "sim=747" without the .air extension. second, in the model folder open the model.cfg file and make sure there is no .mdl extension, for example it should say normal=747, not normal=747.mdl. the entry after normal= is the model file name minus the .mdl extension Edited by Capt_Flappers

- bernie

p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession. :o

From the library here, you only need the main file and SP3

fly74710.zip

IFLY_SP3.ZIP

I just installed those and it ran fine. SP3 actually contains everything you need as far as updates. The files from the other site may be messing it up.

I do remember doing it like you did once and it didn't work right. I had lost all my FS9 files and was redownloading stuff and for whatever reason grabbed all the updates as opposed to just the main file and SP3.