Overcast Skies in FS2004

Agent00729

Anyone know how to get overcast skies in fs2004? It always seems to be more like broken clouds for me, or doesn’t load properly in the air and goes from broken to something closer to overcast when I’m on the ground. Thanks!

Only a weather program can help with that and even then, it's not the greatest. Some will tell you how to manually set weather layers for overcast.
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Anyone know how to get overcast skies in fs2004? It always seems to be more like broken clouds for me, or doesn’t load properly in the air and goes from broken to something closer to overcast when I’m on the ground. Thanks!

Hi.

Try three layers of 8/8 stratus, total depth 3-4000 feet, topped by 6/8 cumulus, depth another 4-5000 feet, and reduce visibility to 10 miles. There are still holes but they're not unbearable.

FS9 is a bit rubbish with clouds. Draw distance isn't great and they all seem to be billboard rather than 3d so weather is a bit limited. There's no global fix if you're using an external weather engine. The only solution is to fill things in manually.

D

cloud layers.jpg

400.jpg

fl120.jpg

Edited by defaid

Gi'day,

Yeah, I'd like to know where to look too (UserName: ShortFinal returns only 2 results - one being this particular thread - when using the Forum Search Function, and none when searching the Library). Curious minds would like to know ...

Regards,

Dorian

Here he is on YouTube:
Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Damn, is there a 747 like that for FS9/FS2004? Loved it. Closest thing I've seen to my Level-D 767.

Neil

Search the library here (he's probably using this one):

iFly 747.png

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Gi'day,

Thanks Tim.

Yeah, the penny dropped when I remembered the name was Short Final, not ShortFinal (which is a BIG difference when using search engines).

Regards,

Dorian

There you go. Little research never hurt anyone.

Glad you found what you were looking for.

Mitch

Agent00729.. go to the fs2004 downloads section and to a search for “overcast”. Download overcast.zip. That will put a solid overcast cirrus layer as your first layer that is completely overcast. Works great… been using it for years. Jim..

Lovely pictures.

But...

if you watch them closely as you pass, you'll find they're all billboard. FS9 doesn't do volumetric clouds.

Also... you have holes in that cloud deck ;)

And your last screenie suggests that your cloud draw distance is not extended, only that the edge of the deck is obscured by a canny reduction of visibility.

Is AS6.5 still available? And does it also work offline? I suppose you are using cloud textures that shipped with it. I have to say I prefer them to mine, which are from the free High Def Environment v2.

D

Edited by defaid

Great photos and aircraft. I use ASE and get the same results.
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

Lovely pictures.

Is AS6.5 still available? And does it also work offline?

No it is not, but offline mode still works if you supply the data files.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

No it is not, but offline mode still works if you supply the data files.

Ah... that's a shame. I like both the textures and the lighting in 3Green's pictures above.

I've been using FSMetar for over a decade, with a year's worth of downloaded metars. It does a reasonable job but I'm starting to feel it's time I moved on from the HDEv2 textures.

When I had P3d I used ASP3D (I think), just going online for the launch and then using offline mode. Per your recommendation as I recall. That was probably the best bit of my P3d...

D