still can’t determine whether to purchase from MS store or Steam

Frank82

I’m not sure that there is a definitive answer to Steam vs MS Store.

I purchased through Steam and have had no problems with updates. With that said, the update process is pretty unsatisfactory. Sometimes an update then requires you to go to Content Manager for additional updates and sometimes it’s the Marketplace. I routinely check both locations for updates “just in case”. They may have their reasons for this, but it’s unlike any update process I’ve ever seen.

I believe some of the MS Store people have reported having problems that required signing out and back in to their MS Store account. I’m interested to see what their feelings are.

I’m not sure that there is a definitive answer to Steam vs MS Store.

I purchased through Steam and have had no problems with updates. With that said, the update process is pretty unsatisfactory. Sometimes an update then requires you to go to Content Manager for additional updates and sometimes it’s the Marketplace. I routinely check both locations for updates “just in case”. They may have their reasons for this, but it’s unlike any update process I’ve ever seen.

I believe some of the MS Store people have reported having problems that required signing out and back in to their MS Store account. I’m interested to see what their feelings are.

The update process is rather cumbersome. When it comes to the Marketplace vs Content Manager, the difference is in whether you are downloading new or updating existing content. In other words, when a new World Update is released, rather than just a Sim Update, the new content is released through the Marketplace as an add-on. Subsequent updates to those World Updates will then appear in the Content Manager like updates to other add-ons.

I will be using MSFS 2020 only on my PC so wondering if there is any advantage to purchasing from Steam

Some people seem to have better luck with Steam, others have no trouble with the MS Store. One big difference, if relevant to you, is that buying through the MS Store will let you install the sim on Xbox consoles without having to re-purchase the sim.