Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frame rates any airport bad!

Default Frame rates any airport bad!

I had my computer reset (windows 10), reinstalled the sim and all. Seems like at any addon major airport I'm at the frame rates take a huge hit when staring at certain areas. Before even my FSDT sceneries would work just fine and with lots of traffic. Only a select few airports I considered to be "frame-rate heavy" before this reset.

Right now I have my FSDT sceneries with light traffic and they just can't take it without stuttering so hard sometimes.

Zero traffic the problem persists.

I feel like maybe it has to do with how my stuff is installed into my simulator but I don't know how. The display settings I've never toyed with very much and they're 90% the same. It's never made a difference.

I do have a lot of static object libraries folders installed in the addon scenery library, as well as some textures installed in "flightsimular9/textures" as required already. Should they instead be somewhere else?
    Last edited by TheRedBadger; 05-10-2022 at 06:44 PM.
    Carlos Si

Did you or do you have any new anti virus etc installed? Being that it seems to be most of your airports, is there anything running in the background that’s hogging the cpu?
    Sometimes the antivirus will do it.
    Or can check the task manager and see if anything is running high.

It may not be it but it’s good to eliminate the easy stuff first.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMR View Post
    Did you or do you have any new anti virus etc installed? Being that it seems to be most of your airports, is there anything running in the background that’s hogging the cpu?
    Sometimes the antivirus will do it.
    Or can check the task manager and see if anything is running high.

It may not be it but it’s good to eliminate the easy stuff first.
    Nah no antivirus at all. Size does matter as my AUS scenery is ok, but not JFK or SEA (which definitely shouldn't have been a "low FRF" airport).

Nothing unusual on task manager. The usual google pages and discord running, but nothing out of the ordinary. The sim used to run just fine with those active.

Setting the mips to 1 doesn't make the sim any better. Obviously I could just set all the things to 0 and the sim works fine, but the problem is I know my computer has been able to handle much more before without issue.
    Carlos Si

Tested it a little more. Even from a relatively far distance (10 miles), the simulator gets slow anytime I'm looking at scenery, no matter how simple it may be (a small, local scenery, or a big, payware DFW-esque scenery). Tried default IAH and the sim works just fine...

Added the afcad for IAH without the scenery and texture folders and it still works fine. I feel this has something to do with any type of addon textures, but I don't know /what/ it is...

-Removed all static object libraries (no use)
    -Re-installed the texture folder in the main directory too, but no use
    Last edited by TheRedBadger; 05-11-2022 at 02:17 AM.
    Carlos Si

If you're using an on-board video card it's possible the amount of allocated RAM was reset to "standard" when the machine was "reset". I remember changing my machine from whatever to 2GB made a big difference at the time, but I forget exactly how I achieved it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_eve View Post
    If you're using an on-board video card it's possible the amount of allocated RAM was reset to "standard" when the machine was "reset". I remember changing my machine from whatever to 2GB made a big difference at the time, but I forget exactly how I achieved it.
    I could see that as a possibility. I never changed those settings (if they exist) and I know I’ve reset the computer before. I know there’s a 4GB patch for the sim, I don’t know if it’s what I need or if I can actually allocate that much to the simulator. My computer has 8 GB of ram available, the sim was using just 1.3MB last I checked at its peak, yesterday (that was 70% of the ram which is odd that it wasn’t 35% of 4). I have a 64-bit system.

Actually this is “regular ram” right? We aren’t talking VRAM are we? Because there I think I only have 2 GB (or half of whatever FS2020 needs).
    Last edited by TheRedBadger; 05-11-2022 at 12:33 PM.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedBadger View Post
    I could see that as a possibility. I never changed those settings (if they exist) and I know I’ve reset the computer before. I know there’s a 4GB patch for the sim, I don’t know if it’s what I need or if I can actually allocate that much to the simulator. My computer has 8 GB of ram available, the sim was using just 1.3MB last I checked at its peak, yesterday (that was 70% of the ram which is odd that it wasn’t 35% of 4). I have a 64-bit system.

Actually this is “regular ram” right? We aren’t talking VRAM are we? Because there I think I only have 2 GB (or half of whatever FS2020 needs).
    On my system at least, with a built-in video card, I could re-allocate some of my 8GB system RAM for the video card to use. I seem to remember updating from 512MB of video RAM to 2GB and it made a big difference, but if you've already got 2GB of RAM on your video card that's unlikely to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_eve View Post
    On my system at least, with a built-in video card, I could re-allocate some of my 8GB system RAM for the video card to use. I seem to remember updating from 512MB of video RAM to 2GB and it made a big difference, but if you've already got 2GB of RAM on your video card that's unlikely to be an issue.
    Would you suggest the 4GB patch? Would that reallocated ram still be in use by RAM in general when the video ram isn’t being extensively used? I think the sim is only getting no more than 2 given what I Observed yesterday. Peaked at 1.3 I think.

EDIT: I don't know if that's a viable solution. With the simulator running and a couple of google windows (which I consider to be a light amount..), it's using up 5.8 GB when the simulator is "active". Still, with 2 GB available the simulator isn't even using that available amount. I don' tknow how much it would "choose" to use if more was allocated to it.

And sure I could just.. not use Google in the background (it does take up a good 2 Gigabytes... somehow), but before I "change my ways", why is it that this wasn't as much of an issue before and now it is? I read that other thread but it doesn't appear to give a real solution or hint as to why he's experiencing that problem.

As a matter of fact, I further confirmed it's any addon because without the static object libraries installed... SEA was running smoothly (the scenery is technically just a fancy afcad which does use some jetways from a library. Without them, it runs flawlessly). This must be texture related, but what... why does the simulator not have a problem with its own textures but does take issue with even just one little jetway? Much worse, an entire payware airport.

I could blame the paywares being technically installed outside of the addonscenery/scenery folder, but according to this dude, his Melichar Hawaii scenery (that I have also used before) gave him problems, and I assume that one was installed where they are usually installed, in the addonscenery folder. There's one more test I need to conduct actually, when I get the chance (scenery without ANY textures...).

Also I noticed his specs should be very close to mine if not exactly the same. Same GPU and CPU, W10 64. I don't think Ihave as much RAM (definitely not 32GB). I do keep my FS9 install outside of programfilesx86 (it's in C:/FlightSimulator9)

Thoughts?
    Last edited by TheRedBadger; 05-11-2022 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedBadger View Post
    Would you suggest the 4GB patch? Would that reallocated ram still be in use by RAM in general when the video ram isn’t being extensively used? I think the sim is only getting no more than 2 given what I Observed yesterday. Peaked at 1.3 I think.

EDIT: I don't know if that's a viable solution. With the simulator running and a couple of google windows (which I consider to be a light amount..), it's using up 5.8 GB when the simulator is "active". Still, with 2 GB available the simulator isn't even using that available amount. I don' tknow how much it would "choose" to use if more was allocated to it.

And sure I could just.. not use Google in the background (it does take up a good 2 Gigabytes... somehow), but before I "change my ways", why is it that this wasn't as much of an issue before and now it is? I read that other thread but it doesn't appear to give a real solution or hint as to why he's experiencing that problem.

As a matter of fact, I further confirmed it's any addon because without the static object libraries installed... SEA was running smoothly (the scenery is technically just a fancy afcad which does use some jetways from a library. Without them, it runs flawlessly). This must be texture related, but what... why does the simulator not have a problem with its own textures but does take issue with even just one little jetway? Much worse, an entire payware airport.

I could blame the paywares being technically installed outside of the addonscenery/scenery folder, but according to this dude, his Melichar Hawaii scenery (that I have also used before) gave him problems, and I assume that one was installed where they are usually installed, in the addonscenery folder. There's one more test I need to conduct actually, when I get the chance (scenery without ANY textures...).

Also I noticed his specs should be very close to mine if not exactly the same. Same GPU and CPU, W10 64. I don't think Ihave as much RAM (definitely not 32GB). I do keep my FS9 install outside of programfilesx86 (it's in C:/FlightSimulator9)

Thoughts?
    I've no experience with the "4GB patch", sorry.
    One issue I have had to deal with in the past is when 3rd party scenery overwrites default textures without asking … all the enabling and disabling of add-on features won't help if the problematic file is in the default texture folder! Examining the texture files by date can give clues here.
    It's possible for one item within a library to cause problems, but only (apparently) under certain circumstances. I've spent time in the past dis-assembling library files and recompiling them in various combinations to isolate a rogue feature … probably would have been quicker to re-start from scratch, but you know what it's like
    Remember, if you disable the texture files for a scenery or library folder, FS will then revert to the default texture folder in it's search, so if "weird" things happen, you may find you've got the same texture filename being used in two different circumstances!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast