ability to edit old posts in forum?

Herc79

So I've got a growing thread about vintage aircraft addons, and I've noticed that many of my older posts in it.... are a bit lacking. I didn't add bold text, forgot to add a link, the youtube video doesn't display, or doesn't play.

And now I can't go back and edit those posts.

I'm sure there's a very good reason for limiting the time to allow old posts to be edited... but is there the possibility of an exception? Or a temporary time to let me fix those old posts?

Normal edit time is 2 hours after posting. Possibly a Moderator can do it for you if you ask. (maybe send a PM to them). Don't expect them to do a bunch of them. There may be a limit on edit time for them, also!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hmm, ok thanks for the reply!

Seems it would be easier for me to just copy paste edit and then post in a new post!

It just seems like a mildly odd choice given that most forums allow indefinate editing, but maybe those forum licenses cost more, and or maybe cost more for cloud storage?

Anyway thanks for the swift replies!

Many forums I visit don't allow editing to preserve the content and, in more extreme cases, prevent people from drastically changing their posts (think a debate where people respond to one claim, but then the OP goes back and completely changes their post). Yes, this does mean mistakes can't be corrected in the post, but adding another reply isn't hard and doesn't take up much space on the server (text really doesn't use much space compared to photos).

If there is a mistake that really does needsto be fixed, PM or report the post to the mods for the forum and ask them to fix it. We have had links to old websites removed that now lead to compromised websites, for example (ie. old website is now defunct and the new owner is less than scrupulous).

Yea, back when I used to moderate a political debate forum, I learned over time that preventing editing after a very short time was very much needed, to preserve evidence of someone trying to get a nasty reaction out of someone else! Basically, someone would wait until they knew their foe was actually online in the forum right at that moment (waiting to see fresh posts), and then they would post something... maybe nasty, maybe an outrageous accusation at the other member, maybe even insulting them in some way... then they'd watch, refreshing a lot, until the other member, the target, made their own reaction to that, usually an over-reaction. And the moment that happened, the instigator, the forum ambush artist, would then go back to their original post and edit it heavily, making something plausible but not offensive, something that made their target seem wildly angry and inappropriate... in the hopes of getting their target suspended, banned or just discredit in the eyes of other forum members.

So when the time came for a forum upgrade, I specifically requested that editing was not possible after say a few minutes.

Didn't take long at all for certain behaviors to dwindle away, because the evidence was there for all to see! And although as a moderator I had the power to edit or delete, I usually didn't delete anything, but often put in a notice of what the rule broken, and what kind of sentence they got. Transparency for all. See where you went wrong, see where others went wrong, and see how serious or mild the moderators saw the offence, if any.

Thanks for he offer, but no, nothing is critical in posts I didn't get quite right, and I've just reposted the few that needed a nice makeover! No links to old/compromised websites (at least none that I'm aware of!)

Edited by Herc79