Just Flight C-130 install problem

ColR1948

I bought a copy of this, insert the disk, select install, it start the usual scroll bar, it gets part way then stops, go back to desktop.

I looked on Just Flight support but no luck, did a search and found what I thought was the answer, the C-130 Install upgrade, clicked on it and this time it took me to the screen where you select the destination, then it asks for the folder containing the DVD, pointed it to it but nothing happens.

Further search I found a couple of posts from other users saying some of their Just flight aircraft won't install on Windows10, so that could be my problem, anybody else had issues or know of a workaround please?

Col.

anybody else had issues or know of a workaround please?

Hi Col, if you have CD Burner program you can create an iso file from your install disk, then double-click the iso file to open it in Windows Explorer as if it was a disk drive. Click the setup.exe to install as normal.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Tim, I might try that, not used the burner prog in ages, but I know what you mean, thanks mate.

I know there are plenty of C-130's but I fancied to try this one, is comes with a few versions and liveries too, the book with it is like a novel, quite thick with lots of details etc.

Col.

In regards to creating that aforementioned ISO, I can help with that.

There are MANY programs that can do this. The most notable would have to be a program called CDBurnerXP and IMGBurn. Do make damn sure that once you download one or all of those you scan it at the website VirusTotal. The general consensus is four hits and you toss. If you're really tech savvy then have a look at any Behaviors or Relations if posted there for that file at VirusTotal. Long ago I grabbed the portable version of IMGBurn because I read the install version contains Ads.

Now having said that, you probably don't need to repack the files on the disk and into an ISO (archive format) anyway. The executable (.exe) and all its dependencies for installation should be right there on the disk. So, you should be able to just copy and paste those files into a folder on your computer and then double click the setup.exe file or what ever. Understandably however, sometimes these disks come with protection mechanisms that may hinder your ability to make a copy/paste operation or even to create an ISO. There are ways around that though, but I'm not sure if it's allowed to be talked about here. Even if it's for your own installation of your property that you paid for.

I'm thinking it is Windows 10 and its functionality with overzealous protection mechanisms which there are many. I'd first try to install the plane directly to C drive in its own folder. I'd also make sure you're doing it in an Admin account. It might even be worthwhile to launch the installer with Admin permissions. It could even be DEP (Data Execution Protection) and its behind the scenes mechanisms. It can be turned off completely with a command and a PC reboot. I do this now and it was how I got RealityXP gauges to work in Windows 7 for FS2004 where they said they would absolutely not work in Windows 7. I proved that assumption wrong right quick.

You could check to see what the internal mechanisms are doing as you install. There are HDD data loggers, registry loggers, process and thread loggers, etc. So it could be a Windows DLL or what ever interfering and that would show up during the logging process. Do you see any errors in the Event Viewer?

Hi Col.

JF's C-130 installs perfectly well into Win 10 from DVD. It's what I use in place of Captain Sim's non-installer download:

Some screenies from another JF C-130 thread.

It could be Win 10's refusal to run anything from an optical disc but I don't recall encountering any problems when I ran through a normal installation from the disc.

"Asks for the folder containing the DVD" seems a bit odd given that DVDs are usually drives in their own right and a folder surely can't contain a drive. Can you post a screenie?

D

Edited by defaid

OK I dug it out again, I had given up on it.

If I put the disk in and try from that if goes to the select language then when I click to go on it starts the scroll bat to less than half wat then crash to desktop.

Using the Installer I downloaded I get this:

c-130 install.jpg

Then this:

c-130 install 2.jpg

Then crash to desktop.

Hi.

I think I must be misunderstanding something here. I didn't have to download any installer: the entire installation process ran from the DVD with no connection to the rest of the world.

I take it the downloaded installer is an update to an existing aircraft and that you must first install the original version, then reinsert the DVD to supply some stuff required by the updater.

Is this the disc that you have? You should be able to install directly from that, and perhaps try the update afterwards.

D

c130.jpg

I once had this with another JF CD (though forgotten which one) and managed to install it in: Win10 'safe mode....' , have you tried this one: 'https://support.justflight.com/support/solutions/articles/17000073698--cannot-locate-dvd-fix' Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

@Piet, TY I think the download fix they are showing is like one I got, it is for the FSX/FS9 where as my copy is FS9 alone not FSX, but I am downloading both of the ones they are showing anyway and try them.

Col.

I bought a copy of this, insert the disk, select install...

Just another thought during a lunch break.

Does your DVD drive auto-play? It's been a while since I installed mine -- over 18 months -- but I've never allowed autoplay on any media and always navigate to the installer exe. I've seen GUI installers running on autoplay that simply call up a more basic installer exe in their background. It could be worth having a look at the contents of E:\ to see if there is a second likely candidate in there.

I think my installation is portable so I may stash it and have a play this evening.

I suppose it's equally possible that your disc is damaged.

As as aside, your differing DVD cover has me intrigued. I'm not sure whether I have the original or the updated version (my pic was from ebay) but I've been noticing some minor bugs in mine, particularly concerning fuel flow and remaining fuel onboard, which is a nuisance when I have to pay for it in Air Hauler. If I have the original, I think I'll have to upgrade...

D

I too bought mine off eBay, I contacted the seller but he had no problem installing but he was on Windows 7.

The DVD not autoplay, I also have an external DVD I might plug that it and try it, you never know.

Col.

I tried my external DVD player, this time the scroll went further, thought it was going to work, then it stopped just over half way then back to desktop.

I'm just downloading at the moment so when that is done I'll try safe mode.

Col.

After a couple of hours, the only appropriate expression is "Huh".

Something's changed: the installer on the disc won't run at all for me now in Win 10. I skipped the options for adverts and new purchases... I saw "The installer is doing something or other but won't give you enough time to read what because"... desktop.

Some dodgy MS update I suppose.

On the other hand, it worked on my XP PC into a vanilla FS9. If push comes to shove, to use an old midwife's expression, I now have 3.1 probably portable GB of it but I don't want to experiment too much because if I break the Win 10 installation then I'm scuppered.

D

No No don't upset anything your end just to get this working it isn't worth it, I really do appreciate what you are doing.

I have another idea I might try tomorrow, I have another PC it needs a decent graphics card that is why I don't use it but I could install FS9 on then see if this C-130 installs on that PC, if it does I will just copy it and transfer it to my working PC. It does bug me but again it is no big loss if it doesn't work, for what I paid for it isn't worth any more trouble after this.

Col.

I think Tim Wright and CRJ_simpilot's suggestion is worth pursuing. There may also be an application somewhere that relieves the restriction on running from optical media.

If not, and you feel like experimenting, drop me a PM.

D

Hi there. There is a way you can get the Just Flight version of Captain Sims C130 working is FS9(FS2004).Your DVD is not the problem. I have the same box set for that product. The problem is that Microsoft disabled the sec drive driver in windows 10. They flagged it as a security risk which is rubbish.

In the early to mid 2'000s Just Flight and some other software houses used a security feature on the dvd disc to stop copying etc. This required the sec drive feature in Win XP, Win 7 and Win 8. That is why it will not work by default in Windows 10. You will need access to a computer with an optical drive running either Win XP, 7 or 8. I keep an old Dell optiplex pc running Windows XP. I got it on ebay for £40. Maybe you have an old laptop or maybe a friend does.

If your old machine has XP then you are good to go. If it is Win 7 or 8 you need the Sec Drive tool from the Just Flight website to switch that feature back on in Win 7/8. You do not need to install FS9 on the old machine. The installer only looks for the exe file in FS9. So open your FS9 on your main Win 10 machine and copy the exe file into a folder on your desktop called "Parasite FS9" or whatever works for you. Put the Folder on a pen drive and copy it to the other computer using XP/7/8. Now put your C130 dvd in the drive and point the installer to "Parasite FS9" or whatever you called it. Remember it only contains the FS9 exe file. But that is enough to dupe the installer so it will install the C130 into the folder containing the exe file. As the folder only contains the exe file and nothing else the installer will dutifully create all the necessary sub folders for you. Once it has installed you will get the following folders in the folder:-

Aircraft

Captain_Sim

Effects

flights

Gauges

JustFlight

Modules

Scenery

Copy all the above back onto your pen drive or external hard drive. Place all the above folders onto your desktop back on your Windows 10 machine. Open you FS9 folder. Open the "Parasite FS9" folder and open the aircraft folder. Ok, I guess you can see where this is going. Now place Legendary_C-130 in your FS9 aircraft folder.

Put the Captain_Sim folder directly into your FS9 folder.

Open the effects folder and place the effects into your FS9 effects folder. And the three files in the texture folder inside the effects/texture folder.

Open the flights folder and put the c130 folder into your flights folder in FS9.

Open the gauges folder and put the gauges into your FS9 gauges folder.

Put the JustFlight folder directly into your FS9 folder.

Open the modules folder and put the module in your FS9 modules folder.

Open the scenery folder and put the C130egdl folder in your FS9 scenery folder. Remember to activate it in the scenery library. (remember click in the box because of a win 10 bug and it will activate ok).

Now you are done. Go fly. I appreciate the above sounds complicated but it is quite quick and easy. Also keep the files for future use. Remember your C13 is compatible with win 10. It is just the sec dive that is the problem. This works with other JustFlight products like the PSS 777 etc. Mark.

I did have W7 on that other PC but put W10 on, I often thought should I leave it.

Your explanation sounds good, I will give it a go, but what a faff all because of W10, shame we can't enable the driver in W10 to work again.

Col.

Ok. Great. Let us know how you get on. And read this from the JustFlight website. Here is the link for the tool you need to make the dvd work in Windows 7. https://support.justflight.com/support/solutions/articles/17000064765-boxed-cd-dvd-installer-issues-in-windows-vista-7-8-8-1-and-windows-10

Boxed (CD/DVD) Installer Issues In Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 And Windows 10

24 September 2015

A recent Windows update for Vista, Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 has disabled the SECDRV.SYS service used by safedisc-protected discs. This means that many of our boxed products will no longer install with the default setting that Microsoft have enabled.

Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 users:

In order to install from our discs you will need to download the tool below and run it before trying to launch the disc installation.

Download: SecDRV Tool (236KB)

This tool will let you Start and Stop the SECDRV service. With the service running the disks should work correctly.

Windows 10 users:

This tool can not be used with Windows 10. Currently there is no solution for this issue for users of Windows 10 where Microsoft have completely removed this service.

PS. You may need to join the JF forum to access the SecDRV tool. Any issues then post on here and I will zip it and email it to you. (328kb) As you say what a faf but worth it. CS C-130 is great in FS9. Mark.

You do not need to install FS9 on the old machine... Remember it only contains the FS9 exe file... But that is enough to dupe the installer...

Thanks Mark. I wasn't aware that the installer didn't use the FS9 registry entry. It took me a while last night to filter out all the bits & pieces I needed to copy from the XP machine. This should require much less work...

I'll have a go at enabling SecDrv this evening: it must have been enabled at some time because I'm sure I installed into Win 10 from the disc. The name of the service rings a bell so it may be that I'd enabled it in the past & forgotten all about it. Possibly through group policy editor? Or WinAero? If I'd done it in the registry, the entry should still be there.

"... where Microsoft have completely removed this service" is interesting. If the sys file is no longer in Windows, it couldn't have been any of the above unless it was removed during a version update.

When something is done, it's forgotten. I may even have installed the C-130 to XP and then reinstalled a fresh FS9 for some other purpose.

Col, if you have no luck, Mark has pretty well confirmed that what I did last night is portable.

D

Edited by defaid