Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Just Flight C-130 install problem

Quote Originally Posted by defaid View Post
    1. Install into Windows XP
    2. Copy to Windows 10
    Oh.
    Why not just install to Windows 10?

Did I say something wrong?

I'll try to be concise here and in a way you might understand.

First the underlying issue. The issue here is that Windows 10 doesn't allow the ability to read from optical media (Think CDs/DVDs) due to that optical media using a mechanism called Safedisk to protect that optical media from illegal copying. Safedisk was a very popular copy protection used by companies that distributed their software via optical media. Like video games and whatnot.

While older operating systems like Windows 7 et al could read these copy protected disks that used Safedisk without issue, Microsoft in their infinite dogma of tricks decided Safedisk was a security threat and thus disabled the ability to read from a Safedisk protected CD or DVD in Windows 10.

What that of course means is that if you try to install a game or some other software via a CD that is protected with Safedisk to prevent illegal duplication, Windows 10 won't allow you because the operating system simply doesn't have the needed components necessary to read these kind of CDs.

The solution given here is to use an older operating system like Windows 7 that can read these CDs protected with Safedisk to install the software (in this case an add-on C-130 aircraft) and then just copy over those files to your Windows 10 FS2004 install.

Does that make sense?

I gave a solution on how to fix this permanently (well, until another glorious update hoses it all over again) and some other solutions from within the realm of borderline "dork" in that some people may need above average computing skills to accomplish.

==== dork mode on ====

Back in the day when I made digital copies of my own store bought games (remember Target and Walmart's glorious selection of boxed games?) so that they would run from the HDD directly for speed improvements on install and game launching, I first used something called A-Ray scanner to help determine the copy protection used in the optical media. Then I used a software called Alcohol 120% to make a copy of the optical media in a file format like ISO or what ever. Then when you wanted to install the game or play the game you just mounted the ISO with Alcohol 120%'s virtual optical drive and the game install ran right from your computer rather than a slow optical disk.

It does get a little bit more complicated though in that in the latter years game developers started blacklisting virtual optical drives so that even IF you were able to make a 1:1 copy of the game you were never able to launch the game from your virtual drive. Well, that was fixed with software that tricked the game into not detecting a virtual optical drive was used in the first place. LOL! I laugh because this DRM (Digital Rights Management) thing for everything is always circumvented one way or another. Even with HDCP (High Definition Copyright Protection). That's just the nature of technology and it's a constant tit for tat mouse and cat game.

Now today, damn near all games are delivered via streaming platforms like; Steam, Battle.net, Epic Games and what ever else may be out there. This has probably been a very successful platform compared to optical media delivered games in terms of profit because so many people use Steam and what have you. I have gaming friends that have at least ~300 games in their Steam library. If each game was on average $~30 US dollars (most are not, believe me), that's at least ~$9,000 dollars worth of gamage, yo! Per person! I could build at least 6 decent computes with that money!

The company that owns Steam is Valve and their total equity according to Wikipedia as of this post is 10 billion. Valve is an LLC (Limited Liability Company), a private company and not traded on the stock market so that its not required to release financials to the public. Me thinks that's on purpose for reasons... LOL You thinks that's rather mad, then look into a Chinese company called Tencent.

==== dork mode off ====

Edit-

Posted in 2017. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/he.../1100-6446990/
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 05-09-2022 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMR View Post
    Oh.
    Why not just install to Windows 10?

Did I say something wrong?
    In short, Master Copperfield, cos the disc's old and won't work in Win 10...

Ok…I get it. *gulp

My head hurts….

I believe there is no download version for it? I can’t find it on their page.

'Fraid not. Just discs from ebay.

It's a lovely plane though and worth getting. The benefit of making a portable copy is that you can keep that... and pass the disc on to someone else.

D

I went through the process and got the C-130 but what a pain. Thinking about it though the disk was a legal copy and I was not allowed to install because of Windows10 not allowing me to, so in a way they prompted me to turn to a kind of illegal way to install the software.
    So how does anybody install a program they bought on to W10, not everyone has another PC with W7 on or know of this workaround?
    Plus some programs you can't just port over they install files within Windows and knowing where to find them can be almost impossible to a lot of people.
    What we really need is not this work around but a way to enable W10 to read the disks again.
    After this it has put me off buying anymore pay ware aircraft.

Col.

Col.

You can still buys lots of payware aircraft and scenery for FS9 as digital downloads from the store on here and at Simmarket, JustFlight and other places too. Also the safedisc protection system that caused the install problem in the first place only applies to discs from the early 2,000's. Later products will install on Win 10 without issue. For example the PMDG 747 for FS9.

Thanks Mark I was looking at some disks on eBay this is more what I meant.

Col.

Quote Originally Posted by ColR1948 View Post
    What we really need is not this work around but a way to enable W10 to read the disks again.
    Read post # 37. Every - last - bit - of - it.

I don't know why, but on many forums all across the Internet that I'm a member of I post very specific and to the fact information or solutions to an issue and I'm completely bypassed time and time again.

If you're looking for an easy way, there isn't. It's been striped out of Windows 10 and the solution from Github is the right way to bring it back into the core of the OS. I did mention that an update could hose the effort? I also mentioned alternatives?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345