Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Just Flight C-130 install problem

Quote Originally Posted by ColR1948 View Post
    Got it installed, you are a genius thank you. Need to sort it properly as there are a few I will never fly so will organise the folders. Just took the 1st one I saw to try.

Attachment 230062

Col
    Sweet! Nice going.

Does yours include the J variant?

Quote Originally Posted by markhoare View Post
    Also this. But I'm dammed if I cam make it work.
    https://appuals.com/enable-secdrv-sys/
    Do you actually have secdrv.sys? Appuals suggests creating a registry entry but doesn't mention the system file.

I suspect mine was moved during an update. Spot the discrepancy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	discrep.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	230063

Indeed. The driver is not in Win 10 by default and moving over from a previous operating system does not work.

Confused. So what did you actually do to get it to work?

Quote Originally Posted by JSMR View Post
    Confused. So what did you actually do to get it to work?
    Hello!

I originally installed directly into Win 10 from the DVD (post #6 above).

Some update has moved and otherwise disabled secdrv.sys, the system file that allows optical media to have access to your PC. SecDrv.sys was part of Windows up until recently, and is enabled by default in XP.

While experimenting, I installed into a vanilla FS9 on a Win XP machine (post #16 above), copied the relevant folders to USB drive and (could then have) pasted them directly into FS9 on my Win 10 machine.

It seems the installer doesn't check the registry, only for a copy of fs9.exe so you don't need a full fs9 installation. Consequently, Mark's suggestion is rather more elegant:

1. On a XP machine, make a folder called whatever.
    2. Put a copy of the fs9.exe into it.
    3. Install the C-130 from DVD into that folder.
    4. Doing that means you shouldn't have to filter all the C-130 stuff out from the rest of the fs9 files before copying to USB for porting.

D
    Last edited by defaid; 05-06-2022 at 01:42 AM.

I did something similar with mine I put my dummy folder on the pen drive then installed to that but same principle.

Just been sorting the C-130 stuff as I won't and never will be flying some of them, so they are taking up space.

So grateful to Mark though for this, I had almost given up on it.

Col.

All is possible. Are you willing to get your hands dirty for the next fun and exciting Windows 10 dilemma of old game installation? If so, learn and get your hands dirty. https://github.com/ericwj/PsSecDrv (Note- as of this post the repository was updated 17 days ago. So it's active and working).

Now, about that needing another computer. That's fine, and is one way, but in today's modern computing we can virtualize that with VMware Workstation Player or Oracle's Virtualbox. (I prefer VMware) Just make sure VMware Tools gets installed if you install XP or 7 in VMware Workstation Player. VMware Tools allows you drag & drop between your host (your main computer) and the guest (inside the VMware running OS). And no, you can't game in VMware.

Note: You should make sure virtualization features are turned on in your BIOS/UEFI.

You of course could dual boot (I prefer two HDDs with the HDD selector by Kingwin). Gigabyte motherboards allow chipsets Z370, B365 (9th Gen capable), H310 (9th Gen capable) to use Windows 7 and Windows 10 since they provide the necessary motherboard drivers for both OSs. Keep that bit of Info. in a text file because it took me at least an hour to go through all their motherboards and find out for a tech forum. LOL! I'm sure ASUS and others may be the same. (On the left choose by chipset). https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard

Addendum:

There might be another way. LOL!

I'd have to find it, but maybe an old copy of Hiren's boot CD using Windows 7 could work via live USB booting. Just boot the USB stick and use your optical drive. I prefer to use Ventoy for USB booting OSs. With Ventoy you can boot Memtest86, Windows, Linux, you freaking name it. Just place the ISO on the Ventoy formatted USB drive. Or optical drive if you want read only. Use WinToUSB to copy and boot your whole damn OS you use now in a live environment! If you want quick OS deployment via freaking smartphone, check out Server Ultimate for PXE booting. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US (You'll need to know how to PXE boot).

Anyway...
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 05-06-2022 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by defaid View Post
    Hello!

I originally installed directly into Win 10 from the DVD (post #6 above).

Some update has moved and otherwise disabled secdrv.sys, the system file that allows optical media to have access to your PC. SecDrv.sys was part of Windows up until recently, and is enabled by default in XP.

While experimenting, I installed into a vanilla FS9 on a Win XP machine (post #16 above), copied the relevant folders to USB drive and (could then have) pasted them directly into FS9 on my Win 10 machine.

It seems the installer doesn't check the registry, only for a copy of fs9.exe so you don't need a full fs9 installation. Consequently, Mark's suggestion is rather more elegant:

1. On a XP machine, make a folder called whatever.
    2. Put a copy of the fs9.exe into it.
    3. Install the C-130 from DVD into that folder.
    4. Doing that means you shouldn't have to filter all the C-130 stuff out from the rest of the fs9 files before copying to USB for porting.

D
    Handy to know even though none of that made sense.

Do I dare explain? HAHA!

1. Install into Windows XP
    2. Copy to Windows 10
    Last edited by defaid; 05-08-2022 at 01:25 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast