Has anyone noticed?

CRJ_simpilot

That if you go to the adsbexchange website to view air traffic they have ADS-C capability? What is ADS-C? Only the coolest damn thing ever. It's squawk delivered via satellites and thus anyone in the world can deploy a SDR (Software Defined Radio) and a ~10' wide Sat dish to receive the signals in their hemisphere. What's really cool is now you can literally see the north Atlantic tracks and across the pacific in real time. I just discovered this feature recently and don't ever recall seeing it before. And I do use their website from time to time. Especially when I wanna know why I'm hearing a dual prop plane overhead at 2AM way up above the clouds on a cold night in February while having a smoke. LOL! (Usually it's a life flight of sorts).

More Info. on ADS-C. Inmarsat at Wikipedia.

Track 'em. https://www.n2yo.com/database/?q=inmarsat#results

There are of course other competing aircraft tracking products on the Internet, but did anyone see this? https://opensky-network.org/network/alerts Opensky also has data for all aircraft traffic during the pandemic.

Quick reference:

7500: Hijack

7600: Radio failure

7700: Emergency.

The squawk code is PCM (Pulse Coded Modulation). More Info. on this and more here. I inquired about it some eight years ago now!

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

• 2 months later...

I've been away from FS for a couple of years but this is interesting. Unfortunately living in a highrise any dish install is taboo.

"Especially when I wanna know why I'm hearing a dual prop plane overhead at 2AM way up above the clouds..."

Reminds me of about 35 years ago when I lived in rural AL; around midnight a thunderous noise caused me to run out in time to see a pair of Lockheed Neptunes flying south very slowly at probably around 100ft altitude, almost wingtip to wingtip. The cockpits were lit (odd) and I could easily see the crew, one waved at me. One plane was painted two tone grey, the other was solid black with vague red markings. I watched til they disappeared over the horizon, never varying speed or altitude. To this day I wonder what was going on.