Lockheed AC-130 Over Bagram

Mike Stone's Lockheed AC-130E over Bagram, Afghanistan! :pilot:

Christopher Tarana

I just saw a C-130J up close Saturday. It's much longer than any previous and said to be faster as well.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

What I find interesting is there is no cost to the public, going from C-130A to C-130J! :pilot:

All Military purchases are like that!

Christopher Tarana

I hadn't thought about that point of view. While serving when we received an update we were never gave a thought to who profited, what it cost, whose congressional district got the work, etc. We were just thrilled when the update was an improvement and disappointed when it wasn't. And yes, some "updates" certainly seemed like a step backwards!

I remember being so thrilled with the H-46 compared to the H-34!! Faster!! More net payload!! The ability to land on and cruise in the water safely!! Those were all good things. Then they sent us engines which made an extra 250shp each, yet another good thing.

I have friends in the Ky. National Guard that are thrilled to have received some of the very first J Models put into service. They love the extra range, speed, glass cockpits, and the extra weight capabilities it offers! All those improvements make everyone more effective.

I've worked a fair few C-130's, I remember the Saudi C-130 used to fly in on a regular basis, the crew were all small guys, you would imagine they would be a big burly crew but they weren't. We used to bulk load them sometimes with heavy freight, back breaking work, others were easy they had a nice roller bed and they were pallet loaded.

I just remembered after reading Jan's post, I think I have an amphibian version of a C-130 on a disk somewhere, think it might have been a pay-ware but not sure, it was years ago.

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

Where does one think the military budget originates from? The taxpayers.

If you're referring to citizens of the United States of America, of course we pay for our military, its' in our Constitution. Those wise folk who wrote our Constitution chose that option hundreds of years ago. And history is still proving the US is much better off that they did!

Of course I suppose they could have settled for the alternative and paid mercenaries who really had no skin in the game. Or continued to pay homage to people who live on another continent and didn't know or care how or if we were getting along. Look how well those options have worked out in various places all over the world! :eek::eek:

When I volunteered and served, I had worked very hard to be allowed to serve and still feel honored to have had the chance to do so. After I was disabled and discharged I'm still honored to live in the US, pay my taxes, and help support our brave defenders who are currently troops!

There are millions of people all over the world that would love to be able to have the freedoms and have what we in the US sadly on occasion take for granted. We are hugely lucky to live here every single day we're alive. And our tax paid military budget is a huge part of how we are still able to enjoy the life we live!

Michael

Edited by Rupert