Can We Please Improve the Clouds? Huh?

Over a year ago, I complained about the clouds in MSFS, saying they looked cartoonish. I was rebuked for that, but what the heck.

This afternoon, I tried a flight out of KDCA with Real Weather. The sim got it the weather close enough (I can look out the window), but I was struck by how poor the clouds looked compared to RL, and I got to thinking about the beautiful clouds I used to get in P3D with the Rex SoftClouds payware add-on.

Don't believe me? Think I'm imagining things?

Here are 2 screenshots, the first taken today in MSFS, the second in 2019 in P3D with the Rex add-on.

Can't somebody fix this glaring disparity? (Rex, are you listening?)

Bad clouds.jpg

En route SEQU 2019-07-20.jpg

The clouds in your first screenshot certainly don't look good.. but I'm not seeing them like that & I fly in VR!

clouds3.jpg

I’ve got my clouds graphics setting at ultra. What are yours set to? In fact what are your graphics in general set to? Might be an idea to list your pc specs in your signature too

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Mac,

Move your cloud graphics to Ultra instead of low and then see how they look. Also, the graphics for clouds are not the same as in past versions, so REX nor anyone else can't do anything yet.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I don't have that new sim, but if I saw them like that in P3D I'd think the problem was that your computer/graphics card wasn't able to keep up with the demands on the system, though possibly what Steve says about your settings.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Yes, please list your settings and hardware. The first screenshot looks like mine looks if I have the clouds set to LOW. The second screenshot looks ok but I appreciate that we are looking at a screenshot and not the moving image that your are seeing.

I am generally happy with the clouds in MSFS, though I do see edge pixellation at times which would be nice if Asobo or REX could sort out.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Edited by stinger2k2

Yes, please list your settings and hardware. The first screenshot looks like mine looks if I have the clouds set to LOW. The second screenshot looks ok but I appreciate that we are looking at a screenshot and not the moving image that your are seeing.

I am generally happy with the clouds in MSFS, though I do see edge pixellation at times which would be nice if Asobo or REX could sort out.

Stinger

Stinger, the second screenshot looks OK, because, as I said, it is from P3D with the Rex Softclouds add-on.

I'll try some of the other suggestions later on, but meanwhile here are my specs:

i7-8700 3.7 GHz

GeForce GTX 1070 Ti; 8GB onboard

AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 LGA 1151 ATX motherboard

16GB RAM

2 TB hard drive

27” MSI gaming monitor

I have my FPS capped at 32, and I doubt my graphics card is having trouble, since in recent months, both my CPU and GPU are showing fairly low values: like 15 and 65 respectively.

Stinger, the second screenshot looks OK, because, as I said, it is from P3D with the Rex Softclouds add-on.

I'll try some of the other suggestions later on, but meanwhile here are my specs:

i7-8700 3.7 GHz

GeForce GTX 1070 Ti; 8GB onboard

AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 LGA 1151 ATX motherboard

16GB RAM

2 TB hard drive

27” MSI gaming monitor

I have my FPS capped at 32, and I doubt my graphics card is having trouble, since in recent months, both my CPU and GPU are showing fairly low values: like 15 and 65 respectively.

More than capable. Turn cloud graphic settings up as high as they can go.

Mac6737 what's your gpu? I was never happy with the clouds at all, then I upgraded the gpu to a 3070 and it's made a huge difference, the clouds now look really really good.....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Your second screenshot looks like my MSFS clouds so something is definitely wrong with your setup. I would have thought that your hardware is capable enough to show good clouds but with other settings turned down a bit.

To try to see what's going on I would try playing with the MSFS settings with clouds on ultra. Also it might be worth going into the Nvidia control panel and set the cards' settings to default. (My 2080ti is set on default)

Annoying when you are not seeing what most others are. But hopefully a bit of perseverance will sort it out for you.

Stinger

Mine in MFSF look generally great although like Stinger said they pixelate sometimes and it would be nice if that would get fixed. I'd be very disappointed if I had picture one as my clouds. Bump the settings up and see what happens and let us know.

....Signature not required for delivery....

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

**Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Throttle, Logitech Pedals**

Mine in MFSF look generally great although like Stinger said they pixelate sometimes and it would be nice if that would get fixed. I'd be very disappointed if I had picture one as my clouds. Bump the settings up and see what happens and let us know.

do they sometimes look like a sepia sponge? when I upgraded the GPU they went away..... I always thought it was a fault with the sim, but it's setting or gpu not up to par....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

OMG! The gremlins had set my clouds to LOW! Now that I have reset them to ULTRA, they look . . .

. . . a lot better! In fact, acceptable.

The thing is, in P3D plus Rex, you could actually choose the type of clouds at different levels. You could put highly accurate cirrus at 40K where they belong, and big puffy altocumulus down below. With many, many variations.

Maybe some day.