Why is there clear bias toward MSFS?

Brodie

I've been here a long time despite not posting frequently. This makes me angry. I own MSFS, FSX and FS2004. Why is this site not neutral to all these 3 sims? All 3 should be supported equally? There are a host of very recent threads I've read that if the smallest mention is made against MSFS the MSFS members will attack you and then mods will shut the thread. If you flip the coin why doesn't this happen to negative comments against FSX or FS2004? Right now there are 2 threads running in the MSFS forum bashing FSX and FS2004 and those threads are all good to proceed. I use mostly FSX and MSFS and will again use FS2004. I would like to know I can comment openly positively or negatively on any of the 3 sims. Is Microsoft funding the site? It's difficult to believe it is not.

Tribalism, and the excitement over what is new. And the hope that many have that the latest good looking sim may grow the hobby, I suppose. Maybe best to direct comments\criticism about mods to the site owner, Nels, and not here as posts. Just the opposite over at trainsim.com, I've always thought that inaction, neglect, by the mods there caused some real damage to that site, and it still shows. Edited by ftldave
fix txt

If they are growing the hobby and pushing one sim it should be stated. I don't like MSFS. I like FSX and I think it's better. I can't say this. I could say I like MSFS and I think it's better than FSX and that would be an appropriate post. They've got rid of members for doing this? I don't believe in such control in 2022 and it was wrong in any time period past. They can ban me as well.

If they are growing the hobby and pushing one sim it should be stated. I don't like MSFS. I like FSX and I think it's better. I can't say this. I could say I like MSFS and I think it's better than FSX and that would be an appropriate post. They've got rid of members for doing this? I don't believe in such control in 2022 and it was wrong in any time period past. They can ban me as well.

Nobody was banned because they didn't like a particular sim or tow some line, however, some members have had restrictions put on their accounts due to their behaviour.

Nobody was banned because they didn't like a particular sim or tow some line, however, some members have had restrictions put on their accounts due to their behaviour.

+1 Most of the members that have these restrictions on their accounts are pretty much well know throughout the flightsim communities and the same thing applies to them elsewhere, also. ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

+1 Most of the members that have these restrictions on their accounts are pretty much well know throughout the flightsim communities and the same thing applies to them elsewhere, also. ;)

You are that AVSIM mod? Correct me if I am wrong.

I've read enough of the posts from the restricted members to understand what is going on.

You are that AVSIM mod? Correct me if I am wrong.

I've read enough of the posts from the restricted members to understand what is going on.

The one and the same! ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I've been here a long time despite not posting frequently. This makes me angry. I own MSFS, FSX and FS2004. Why is this site not neutral to all these 3 sims? All 3 should be supported equally?

I disagree with this premise. Do you expect Motor Trend to cover DeSoto and Mercury with the same support as Chevrolet and Ford? I can see maintaining support for P3D, X-Plane and even FSX Steam Edition, but the world moves on and technology moves on. I also own FSX and I own FS2002, but I don't expect the community to treat them equally. No one says you can't like FSX, and enjoy it! What makes the community unhappy, is to TOTALLY discount a vast majority opinion, at least in the MSFS forum, just to trash it without any specific complaints or problems. I was really happy with SuperCalc 5.5, but the technology moved on and even though I miss some graphic features, I have moved on as well. We are not bashing FS9, but it isn't going to exploit modern computers and technology. Why get angry, just enjoy your preference but don't disrupt those that have a different perspective!

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

"Why is there clear bias toward MSFS?"

Easy. It's the sim du jour. Several manufacturers have dropped their FSX/P3D lines altogether to respond to the current craze, and most new releases are designed for MSFS.

It really comes down to personal preferences. I will probably never move on from my dark-ages P3D because it's a better choice for what I want to get out of a simulator. But that's just me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Founder

I think you fail to differentiate between the site operators and the site users. The FlightSim.Com operators really don't care what sim you prefer. We do our best to not play favorites. We'll report news on any sim, which you can hopefully see from our home page. Realistically speaking, though, these days most news is related to MSFS 2020 so even with no bias on our parts you are simply going to see us mention it more often than other sims.

People in their forums do play favorites, and no harm in that. I try really hard to have a light hand on moderation, but there are some who intentionally make it impossible. People who get moderated, get moderated because their postings attack other people. If you stick to arguing issues and not try to put down or attack the other people in the forums, you won't have any problems.

I think you fail to differentiate between the site operators and the site users. The FlightSim.Com operators really don't care what sim you prefer. We do our best to not play favorites. We'll report news on any sim, which you can hopefully see from our home page. Realistically speaking, though, these days most news is related to MSFS 2020 so even with no bias on our parts you are simply going to see us mention it more often than other sims.

People in their forums do play favorites, and no harm in that. I try really hard to have a light hand on moderation, but there are some who intentionally make it impossible. People who get moderated, get moderated because their postings attack other people. If you stick to arguing issues and not try to put down or attack the other people in the forums, you won't have any problems.

I expect far more content in every way for MSFS, that is not my concern or complaint.

My concern is you are locking threads as soon as someone doesn't like MSFS but then allow threads where people bash the other sims and leave these threads running. There are examples right now. I pointed them out clearly in the FS2004 forum and can point them out again here if you wish.

It means it is fine for MSFS users to post anywhere and say whatever they like but for users of the other sims you need to stick to your own forum and not dare say anything negative about MSFS even if it is in your own forum and not the MSFS forum. That's what is happening. The restricted users that I know of I can see appear to have been very unfairly treated and mods from other sites are carrying on vendettas from the other sites here against these users. It is hard to believe it is all allowed to go on.

Let's all do our 'best' in posting personal attacks towards users of sims we don't use or like. This will only force new and future simmers and some veterans to run away from this site. Then without audience Flightsim will have to close and gone are all our free downloads and reviews. Is that what you want......? Love my FS8, FS9, FSX and MSFS, one day 'this' and the other day 'that' , I'm happy.... Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

• Founder

I'm sorry if your opinion differs from my opinion as to what needs moderating and what does not. I do emphasize "opinion", as neither of us is right in an absolute sense and reasonable people can disagree.

You should also understand that you don't actually see everything that goes on. As often as not, the message(s) that finally go too far over the line and cause a thread to be ended are removed from public view. So you are in fact judging without having all the facts.

Moderating is a thankless job. Any time a moderator has to step in, someone is going to be unhappy about it. But likewise in many case NOT stepping in make someone unhappy. You basically cannot win no matter what you do, but you still try your best. I hope you will try and be understanding that we want to make the forums the best they can be, but we're only human and not perfect.

I'm sorry if your opinion differs from my opinion as to what needs moderating and what does not. I do emphasize "opinion", as neither of us is right in an absolute sense and reasonable people can disagree.

You should also understand that you don't actually see everything that goes on. As often as not, the message(s) that finally go too far over the line and cause a thread to be ended are removed from public view. So you are in fact judging without having all the facts.

Moderating is a thankless job. Any time a moderator has to step in, someone is going to be unhappy about it. But likewise in many case NOT stepping in make someone unhappy. You basically cannot win no matter what you do, but you still try your best. I hope you will try and be understanding that we want to make the forums the best they can be, but we're only human and not perfect.

Nels - It seems that you are in a catch 22 situation no matter what. Stick to your guns! You are doing a fine job in my opinion!

Brigadier General Frank Savage

918th Bomb Group "Hard Luck Group"

First, Nels great job moderating.

Second in regards to MSFS, i think it is such a quatum leap in flight simulation

that some folks are having problems wrapping their heads around it.

it is totally different in regards to previous versions when you just had to add new

video card or more ram to get up and running. A lot has to be considered before committing

to MSFS. Do I spend the bucks on a new PC system, or do I use Xbox and the cloud.

Third, developers must go with the flow and that is MSFS and this is good business sense.

Be thankful FlightSim retains thousands of files for all platforms for us to download and enjoy

no matter what sim you use.

@loki

Sir, Lady ...

YOU wrote:"

"had restrictions put on their accounts due to their behaviour"

My Question to you:

who decides ???

OMG what kind of clientel are lately present.

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

I returned after a flight sim forum absence just in time to see some of the removed posts in question in this thread. I don't believe what has been explained here is quite the entire truth. I can also see after moderation the threads are left with a clear positive bias toward some users and a negative bias against others, my removed comments included. The threads would tell a different story if they were just locked and posts not removed. I did also see the post where Mr Daniels brought to attention the MSFS user with multiple accounts who was also constantly PM'ing Mr Daniels yet this has been completely hidden from public view and no action taken. It's very much as it appears, you must use MSFS on this site or be careful what you post.

I don't care if I annoy them as I have no intention of staying at any place like this.

The threads would tell a different story if they were just locked and posts not removed.

Why is it necessary to create the need for moderation in the first place! I know I don't have any animosity toward anyone that lauds, praises and extolls which ever sim they prefer. If you work to promote FS9, I am right there as an advocate! I have files for FS9 in the library. I have noted some things that make it useful.

All that said, why a concerted effort to DISRUPT the MSFS forum and create behavior that gets threads locked or removed? It serves no ones interest to interrupt the helpful assistance to other users just to interject some snarky or disparaging comment! You bring up that you are angry, yet you criticize others for "taking the game too seriously". Don't you see the irony in that position? If you and others would just spend the time building FS9 into the best product it can be, you would be much more successful in insuring its continued patronage. As it is, your histrionics are depleting the patronage in these forums. You may start a great FS9 site and I wish you well, but this site reaches a broad market. All those departures are ironically, diminishing the popularity of the sim you promote??

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU