MS Combat FS & CFS2

Jerry6730

• 3 months later...
I found that by installing CFS1 on an old computer running Win 8.1 and then copying the installation folder located in Program Files (x86) under Microsoft Games, I could copy the Microsoft Games folder with the installed Combat Flight Simulator folder inside of it and paste it into my Win 11 hard drive Program Files (x86). Works fine on my setup. In addition, you will need to enable Direct Play on your machine and also paste a copy of the combatfs.exe file into the Windows folder on C: drive. Basically, install on an older machine and then cut and paste into the newer machine. Still requires original disc to start up each time as in the past.

• 3 months later...
I posted this on another thread. Get another hard drive and have two (or more) hard drives installed on your pc. Set the new one up to run only Windows XP. It takes a little doing you have to search on how to do that and install small files to get it to work but I did this and it works on a Windows 10 pc. I actually at one point had three HD's on one pc, one with Windows 10, one with Windows 7, and one with Windows XP specifically so I would run older games in their native operating system and they would work. I did not try CFS2 but I run other games that worked well on XP so CFS2 would likely work.

Gi'day Jerry,

Just FYI, CFS2 works Jim Dandy on Win10; you just need to run it with the patch (which cannot be named) to circumvent the DR (Digital Rights) issue.

Only downside I found was the screen resolution ... hideous (16 bit rather than 32). Blargh!

Regards,

Dorian

Edited by caphavoc