MSFS is terrible

I'll keep using both sims as I can see there is no community interest to make MSFS anything other than what it already is and I'll have to accept it.

Have you seen the range and quality of MSFS improvements at flightsim.to: https://flightsim.to/

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

No, I've had my account a long time but I think I know who you are referring too. He's another who has been pushed out of the community from what I have read recently. No, I don't think it's right.

You are serious, he isn't. You actually use MSFS; he has never tried it. Nobody has been pushed out, but some disqualify themselves by their lack of respect for others and for this forum.

I have pretty much ignored this thread, because at the outset, the post was vague and talked about "feelings of excitement" which I not only adamantly don't share, but are not sufficiently specific to address in updates. There are two ways the community can approach this product. Like this thread, you can stomp your feet and scream at the sky and still achieve absolutely nothing, or you can incrementally address SPECIFIC issues in detail sufficient to allow the developer to address them in updates. If your motive is to get the developer to "start over", that won't happen and we all lose if this program gets cancelled. If your issue is jet airliners, development partners are quite close to adding some vastly improved products from what I have read. Beyond that, these same partners are working with Asobo to refine their flight and systems capabilities. That will achieve a lot more than a virtual temper tantrum. As to the ability to explore the world, there is just no comparison of any other product to the detail, accuracy, and rendition of the world. I recall an early flight in Chile, I found a superb view of a lake that resulted from a volcanic eruption, all clearly revealed from 15,000 feet. The only places I have found, that have somewhat limited graphics, are sites in nations which have demanded MS blur the terrain for their military security.

One more point, you talk about people being pushed out of the community, but I have not seen that. People have left because they did not want to behave in a manner that respected the ability of the community to provide information and assistance to forum queries. They were not pushed out, they CHOSE to leave. As you have demonstrated, folks are free to stomp and scream, and seek attention, just don't hijhack legitimate threads which address members questions and interrupt the flow of useful information.

As to simulation, several aircraft are really well done. The Da40NG, Robin, 152, and 172 all come to mind. I agree ATC is an area where improvement can be gained, but that can be remedied in time. Enjoy the vastly improved rendition of the world, nice GA aircraft, and provide specific recommendations of issues needing to be addressed. Hyperbole will not get the community ANYTHING!

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I didn't post to create arguments but you highlight it above. I don't want to see who is standing at my house. I want to see how a plane flies. I'll keep using both sims as I can see there is no community interest to make MSFS anything other than what it already is and I'll have to accept it.

I forgot to add, the defaults leave a lot to be desired. That’s why I got the free flybywire a320.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

No, I've had my account a long time but I think I know who you are referring too. He's another who has been pushed out of the community from what I have read recently. No, I don't think it's right.

Sorry. I know your not him. I was just trying to inject a little humor in this thread.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Sorry it is. Microsoft made great flight sims but this isn't a sim, it's an arcade game. It gives me the same feel as train sims.

Let me double check my MSFS because mine its the complete opposite of yours (and I've been flying FS since version 1.0 from the 80s)

Let me double check my MSFS because mine its the complete opposite of yours (and I've been flying FS since version 1.0 from the 80s)

Agreed. The "arcade game" comparison is absurd (and ironic since MSFS is about as far as you can get from an arcade-style game). He is either joking or is confusing MSFS 2020 with MS98!

Edited by cobalt

And the 800 pound gorilla in the room - people vote with their feet. They walk away without complaining. Or, like me, never take the step, stay with what is reliable, dependable, and still fun. But, hey, love those screen shots. :p

With that kind of logic we would all be driving model T cars. Very silly.

Not about the discussion as I don't have MSFS. I don't have the PC to run it, cannot and would not buy it right now and honestly, with little time, I want to fly free of hassle - and I've read a lot about problems with MSFS, here. Much more than in the gone days of my still current sim, FS9 :)

But want to say this, about scenery:

I was watching a movie someone did of a flight above my hometown, Lisbon.

I couldn't spot any of the landmarks other than generic boxes where those landmarks shoud be; the "Cristo Rei" in particular was quite a blow.

BUT the "feeling" of the city, the light, the layout, the terrain, the green areas, the squares, the avenues, that was absolutely stunning! The city was immediately recognizable - I mean, its "character" was there.

As I was watching the approach and landing I could easilly to relate to the experience of the dozens of flights I did there as a passenger.

That was amazing.

To the OP, I can relate to your frustration, for sure, but for the sake of enlightenment I would also like to know, with more precision, in what particular aspects, exactly, you feel MSFS is a game and not a simulator. Give some concrete examples, I'd love to understant what drove you to write that.

From the videos I've seen I wouldn't have trouble looking at it as a simulator; and watching videos, in a sense, is a good experience as my mind isn't burdoned and distressed with all that was required to put that sim in place ;)

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

I was watching a movie someone did of a flight above my hometown, Lisbon.

I couldn't spot any of the landmarks other than generic boxes where those landmarks shoud be; the "Cristo Rei" in particular was quite a blow.

I assume such movie was prior to release of (free) World Wpdate 8 (Spain-Portugal).

Just thought you might want to watch the official trailer, specially the final part, 2' 22" into the video:

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

I assume such movie was prior to release of (free) World Wpdate 8 (Spain-Portugal).

Just thought you might want to watch the official trailer, specially the final part, 2' 22" into the video:

Wow, that's amazing!

Way better than the video I had seen (and that already amazed me)

This is incredible, thanks for sharing.

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

Also, don't believe all the "problems" with MSFS. Most of those are caused by users doing something unintended. There are still some minor quirks, but they don't prevent you from enjoying the simulator. Keep it simple and you likely won't have any problems.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I've watched my son, my DIL and two of their friends bowl 3 or 4 lines twice now. I'm thinking our bar tab about equals what I've spent on MSFS. lol

I 'assume' that everyone now involved playing this sim did NOT use their grocery, medical or housing monies to buy and support it? I 'assume' they used a small portion of their annual discretionary spending $$ to make-believe fly around the world as a form of recreational entertainment? As such it IS a pretty low cost per hour/affordable form of amusement.

As they say in the mountains of Austria - "Kwitcherbitchen"

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

In some ways I agree. I quit simming for a while then came back for msfs 2020. I was disgusted with my landing ability for weeks then put p3d back on. With p3d I can land just fine. The physics are simply garbage in msfs. There seems to be no propeller drag, or a sudden drag when you flair. Most of the planes might as well not have flaps for all the good they do you.

I have not flown that many real planes but they reacted to the air much differently than msfs, more like p3d. I do recall that the flaps on a Mooney don't seem to do much, but when you cut the power and drop full flaps in a 150 it is like having a door slammed into you.

That being said, over the months it has gotten better. At least you can taxi most of the planes now.

With that kind of logic we would all be driving model T cars. Very silly.

So were you one of the few who bought Microsoft Flight during its short lived run? :p

How we spend our free time is important. If you think jumping on the latest software release is progress, have at it, good for you. I respect the tenacity of those of you who pick up the pieces after a MSFS update cycle, who are running a complex simulator with only third-party guides, not even a user manual from the publisher. But I totally agree with author Gabriel Zamora over at PC Magazine who wrote that we shouldn't be rewarding software publishers who sell now, patch later. Doesn't that truly describe the history, the state, of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020?

Edited by ftldave
add

But I totally agree with author Gabriel Zamora over at PC Magazine who wrote that we shouldn't be rewarding software publishers who sell now, patch later. Doesn't that truly describe the history, the state, of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020?

Yes it does, because the sim itself is a work in progress and will be until 2030. Therefore, most aircraft add-ons will probably need to be patched after each sim update until 2030. Also bear in mind that some publishers are a very small group of people and cannot beta test every possible combination of hardware and peripherals on their own - they have to wait until the product is launched, and so we're all beta testers in that respect. I don't subscribe to PC Magazine and I don't think I ever will, thanks for the warning.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I don't subscribe to PC Magazine and I don't think I ever will, thanks for the warning.

Not a warning, just a quote from an op-ed, an opinion. PC Magazine has been a source of IT industry news for decades and is well respected. Much of its content is free online.

The trend in the gaming industry (and yes, MSFS is considered a game in the retail industry, no matter what we say here) of titles being put on sale with many bugs, sometimes critical flaws, has been increasing over the years.

Edited by ftldave
add txt

The trend in the gaming industry (and yes, MSFS is considered a game in the retail industry, no matter what we say here) of titles being put on sale with many bugs, sometimes critical flaws, has been increasing over the years.

Yes it has, but Microsoft/Xbox Studios were up-front with their long-term plans for MSFS well before it was launched so no-one should be surprised about bugs/missing features/unfinished details.

I'm also in the Flight Simulator GAME camp, surely any sim you can run on a home PC is a game.

***puts fingers in ears and waits for the thunderclap!***

Yes it has, but Microsoft/Xbox Studios were up-front with their long-term plans for MSFS well before it was launched so no-one should be surprised about bugs/missing features/unfinished details.

I'm also in the Flight Simulator GAME camp, surely any sim you can run on a home PC is a game.

***puts fingers in ears and waits for the thunderclap!***

was a perfect Jim Carrey Gif here, but can't figure out how to get it to display in the reply. Oh well (But I agree with you)

Edited by RI_Red

I must confess to some bewilderment with the folks who keep warning us that MSFS might not last; that we should be wary of our "investments" (see another current thread); and other potential dangers and horrors that might befall us naive souls who have purchased MSFS. For Pete's sake, the Deluxe edition costs 120 bucks, less than it takes to fill your gas tank in many places! Here is a dose of reality: MSFS2020 is a revolutionary -- yes, revolutionary -- advance in flight simming that has afforded many people, including me, tremendous pleasure in the year and a half it has been with us. I have no reason whatever to doubt the 10-year commitment to this project which will expire in 2030. After that, who knows? In the meantime I am flying as I have never flown before, while the worry-warts sit around wringing their hands. I will wager that I am having more fun than they are. Edited by cobalt

Sorry it is. Microsoft made great flight sims but this isn't a sim, it's an arcade game. It gives me the same feel as train sims. Microsoft Train Simulator was really good but the modern train sims I tried don't have the same realistic feel. Pretty graphics but that's about it.

I'm trying to like MSFS I really am but it feels like I'm playing a game and not really simulating anything. It doesn't give me the same feel of excitement any of the other sims always gave me. The updates are annoying and a waste of my time. The bugs are annoying. Parts of the world are annoying. US and Europe you appear to need to always stay around for best results. I want the entire world available to happily explore like the other sims. I'll persist with it but first I want to go back and have a couple of weeks using one of the older sims to relieve my tension. Very frustrated.

Good grief, people are STILL doing this? If you are unhappy with MSFS, I sincerely suggest that you go to the official Microsoft forums and try to fix the problems that make you unhappy. Alternatively, you can simply abandon MSFS and not use it anymore. Those are perfectly reasonable options, aren't they?

But you've gone with a third option that is pretty annoying to many of us. This forum is not associated with Microsoft in any way. You're not even asking for help or guidance from other users. You're literally just complaining, and then being indignant about the fact that other users don't want to hear you complaining.

I suggest you focus on the big picture. This is not a forum for people to vent emotions about their personal beliefs that some piece of software sucks. Maybe it does in some respects or maybe not, but this place is really best used as a source for fixing problems, not venting emotions. MSFS is not "terrible." It's actually pretty cool. I wish you luck.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Like me, I'm sure many others feel this thread has run its course.

I agree. I'm so tired of these individuals that come to this forum just to complain about everything to do with MSFS 2020 and then disrespect everyone else who enjoy it. We CAN'T do anything about your issues so PLEASE contact Microsoft to complain. Maybe they will listen to you.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.