Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: MSFS Australian Scenery vs Orbx Australia V2 for FSX

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14

    Default

    OK!
    You've convinced me.....
    I've just ordered a copy of MSFS2020, should be here soon.
    Now I have to look at the Aircraft conversion process to bring my favourite Piper Warrior over to MSFS2020.
    (Yes, I see JF have a payware version ...but more $$$$)

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n697dt View Post
    I can't see why anyone flies FSX any longer. I would think if your system could "handle" FSX, there shouldn't be any problems running MSFS. I had FSX, P3Dv5, and deleted both of them when I downloaded MSFS and I haven't looked back. There are a lot of planes for every need you could have, with more coming week to week for MSFS. Go for it!
    I still fly FSX because that's the only place I can fly the Captain Sim 727, the PMDG MD-11, and the PMDG JS4100. I also still fly P3D5 so I can fly the Maddog, the TFDI 717, and the PMDG 747, 737, and 777! Most of the latter will likely come to MSFS, but the 727, MD-11, and JS4100 probably never will.

  3. #13

    Default

    I had bought hundreds of $$$ of ORBX scenery for FSX (including Australia v2 and several airports). Got P3D V5 due to 64bit and 99% scenery I got for FSX was a 100% FREE upgrade to P3D. All my FSX A2A/Carenado/RealAir aircraft work just fine also.

    Quote Originally Posted by merlin_66
    Has anyone compared the quality of the MSFS vs Orbx scenery?
    No comparison to the realism of MSFS with its on-line "borrowed", temporary scenery. I thought it was going to be usable off-line as well. What the future holds for it, I don't know???

    Will always be able to use P3D V5/ORBX scenery offline no matter what.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dogdish View Post
    I had bought hundreds of $$$ of ORBX scenery for FSX (including Australia v2 and several airports). Got P3D V5 due to 64bit and 99% scenery I got for FSX was a 100% FREE upgrade to P3D. All my FSX A2A/Carenado/RealAir aircraft work just fine also.



    No comparison to the realism of MSFS with its on-line "borrowed", temporary scenery. I thought it was going to be usable off-line as well. What the future holds for it, I don't know???

    Will always be able to use P3D V5/ORBX scenery offline no matter what.
    You clearly have missed the whole concept underlying MSFS, which is streaming of satellite data for the area being flown over, which is the only way the earth can be depicted in this level of detail. No personal computer would ever be able to accommodate the vast data base required. So yes, of course, you must be connected to the internet -- this is the whole idea! As for the future, MSFS is at least a 10-year project.
    Last edited by cobalt; 04-06-2022 at 08:19 AM.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt
    You clearly have missed the whole concept underlying MSFS, which is streaming of satellite data for the area being flown over, which is the only way the earth can be depicted in this level of detail. No personal computer would ever be able to accommodate the vast data base required. So yes, of course, you must be connected to the internet -- this is the whole idea!.
    You clearly have missed the whole concept of my post.

    I'm well aware of the features and benefits of MSFS, I have both. My point is it is temporary. We all know how Microsoft operates...

    "We no longer support MSFS. Welcome to MSFS version 2. You will need Windows 15 and all your Market Place purchases are tied to MSFS v1 and therefore not compatible to v2"

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt
    As for the future, MSFS is at least a 10-year project.
    MSFS is all ready 2 years old and 8 years will pass very quickly. Long live FSX and P3D.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dogdish View Post
    You clearly have missed the whole concept of my post.

    I'm well aware of the features and benefits of MSFS, I have both. My point is it is temporary. We all know how Microsoft operates...

    "We no longer support MSFS. Welcome to MSFS version 2. You will need Windows 15 and all your Market Place purchases are tied to MSFS v1 and therefore not compatible to v2"

    MSFS is all ready 2 years old and 8 years will pass very quickly. Long live FSX and P3D.
    You said earlier, quote, "I thought it was going to be usable off-line as well." Pardon my misunderstanding, but it is hard to see how someone familiar with MSFS could think this. As for it being "temporary", it is no more so than FSX, P3D, FS9, MS98, or any other sim. What makes you think that FSX and P3D will escape the obsolescence you are predicting? By 2030, with no further development, they are likely to be be but a distant memory!
    Last edited by cobalt; 04-06-2022 at 03:18 PM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Getting warmer now
    Posts
    8,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    You said earlier, quote, "I thought it was going to be usable off-line as well." Pardon my misunderstanding, but it is hard to see how someone familiar with MSFS could think this. As for it being "temporary", it is no more so than FSX, P3D, FS9, MS98, or any other sim. What makes you think that FSX and P3D will escape the obsolescence you are predicting? By 2030, with no further development, they are likely to be be but a distant memory!
    There is an offline mode and the ability to locally cache the streamed scenery, so not hard to see where the idea comes from.

    The difference in the long term life of MSFS compared to other sims comes down to how they work. Provided you can keep the right computer, and possibly a VM, running, those other sims can run just the same as they do today or did in the past with no outside input well into the future (see the people still running FS2004 20 years after it was released, for example). With MSFS there is the very real possibility that at some point down the road that the servers providing the scenery will be shut down and/or the sim itself could be removed from the MS and Steam stores entirely. Similar situations have happened already elsewhere in the gaming world with games losing content or being removed from stores entirely. Whether this is an issue or not is up to the individual and how they value their investment and control over what they run.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    There is an offline mode and the ability to locally cache the streamed scenery, so not hard to see where the idea comes from.

    The difference in the long term life of MSFS compared to other sims comes down to how they work. Provided you can keep the right computer, and possibly a VM, running, those other sims can run just the same as they do today or did in the past with no outside input well into the future (see the people still running FS2004 20 years after it was released, for example). With MSFS there is the very real possibility that at some point down the road that the servers providing the scenery will be shut down and/or the sim itself could be removed from the MS and Steam stores entirely. Similar situations have happened already elsewhere in the gaming world with games losing content or being removed from stores entirely. Whether this is an issue or not is up to the individual and how they value their investment and control over what they run.
    Well, my "investment" so far is $120 for MSFS Deluxe edition and a few dollars more for add-ons (most of mine are freeware, of which there is an abundance of wonderful stuff). I can't think of a more satisfying 120 bucks to "invest" even if MSFS2020 goes kaput tomorrow (which is very unlikely as it is a blockbuster success from all the evidence I've seen). I delighted in FSX for 15 years, but not now that I've "seen Paris" (i.e. MSFS). It is a fantastic sim, regardless of how long it lasts, but I predict it is here to stay for a long, long time. Just my opinion.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    East Texas, USA.
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    I agree, I have about $125 so far, about a dinner at at a nice restaurant. I splurged $10 on an AT-6B (nice aircraft). I am probably going spend a little more when the ATR42 appears. If the pandemic had not appeared, I would have spent a lot more on travel and dining. Like you, I have already had that much value in using it. Well worth it!!
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Deleted and moved by me
    "Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop [email protected], 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Orbx Australia v2
    By azzaro in forum MSFS Screen Shot Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-08-2019, 01:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •