Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSFS Australian Scenery vs Orbx Australia V2 for FSX

Default MSFS Australian Scenery vs Orbx Australia V2 for FSX

I've converted a few of my favourite aircraft to FSX. I only fly around the local (Victoria) area VFR and I'm finding the quality of the scenery and smaller airport coverage very average (!!!).
    The available options are to upgrade to MSFS with what I believe gives quality scenery coverage of Australia, or invest more in FSX by purchasing Orbx Australia V2 scenery.
    There are limited aircraft available in MSFS, but I'm sure that will change in the future, whereas FSX already has all the aircraft I could ever ask for.
    Has anyone compared the quality of the MSFS vs Orbx scenery?

With Australia I think you will need ORBX to enhance any sim you have. Drzewiecki also offer vast improvements to other parts of the world. No sim is perfect. Flightsim.to website offers hundreds of freeware and payware add ons for MSFS. Some of the freeware planes are really good.

Gordon,
    I only fly in Victoria.
    If I go with the Orbx it's $45 if I upgrade to MSFS it's $119.
    There are very few free addon aircraft for MSFS at the moment.

Merlin, I have in-laws in Bendigo and Ballarat who I've only visited once, 20 years ago. In MSFS I can take off from the freeware YBLT Ballarat airfield and fly over my father-in-law's 80 acre place and see the house, the dam, the bridge over the creek, and the olive groves - you sure can't do that in FSX even with Orbx.
    Take a look at the standard of the freeware scenery for Victoria at flightsim.to (sorry there's some NZ and Canada ones in there too): https://flightsim.to/discover/victoria
    I use Jordan's Victorian Airports and Airstrips packs, they are outstanding.
    There are plenty of default GA planes in MSFS to keep you busy - I've had MSFS since it launched and I haven't flown them all yet!
    Last edited by tiger1962; 03-31-2022 at 08:10 AM.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X, Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia RTX2060 6Gb, Logitech Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Win 10 Pro x64

Tim,
    You make a convincing argument to invest in MSFS!!!
    (Another issue: I can't seem to get imported airfields FSX to show in Free Flight selection. They are definitely saved correctly in the Scenery Library but don't show in the selection of airfields.)

I can’t comment on how good the Australian scenery is as I haven’t really flown over that way, but what I will say is.. sign up to the Xbox game pass! It will cost you just £1 / $1 for a month’s trial so you will be able to try the (standard edition) of MSFS for a month! It’s a good way to test your pc specs and see how well it runs too.
    Just remember to cancel the Xbox gamepass before the month is up.

Regards
    Streve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX3090 Aorus Extreme 24GB
    3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs.
    Reverb G2 VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit
    Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Quote Originally Posted by merlin_66 View Post
    Tim,
    Let me expand a bit on what Tim said. Like many others, I was thrilled to be able to fly over my own house and neighborhood in MSFS when it first came out, but I came to realize that it is much more than that. The astounding fact about MSFS is that anywhere in the world I choose to fly, the buildings, towns, farms, roads, dams, and other structures I see are all real -- even isolated mountain shacks. This means that MSFS can be used to explore the real world, taking me to places I have never been to and never will, with assurance that what I see in MSFS is close to what I would see if I actually traveled there. At present it is the only flightsim program that can do this. None other comes remotely close. If this doesn't qualify as a revolutionary advance, I don't know what does. "Eye-candy", my foot!

When I first got my hands on MSFS (as an alpha tester) I was amazed that a tiny, little known airstrip near to where I work was included in the sim! I’m pretty sure it wasn’t in fsx or any of the previous sims.
    If in any doubt though, try the Xbox gamepass trial as a said earlier. MSFS is more demanding than FSX so you want make sure you have a good enough pc.

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX3090 Aorus Extreme 24GB
    3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs.
    Reverb G2 VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit
    Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I can't see why anyone flies FSX any longer. I would think if your system could "handle" FSX, there shouldn't be any problems running MSFS. I had FSX, P3Dv5, and deleted both of them when I downloaded MSFS and I haven't looked back. There are a lot of planes for every need you could have, with more coming week to week for MSFS. Go for it!
    Jack T.
    i7-9700k, 5.2GHz overclocked, 32 Gb memory, EVGA RTX 2060 Super

Quote Originally Posted by merlin_66 View Post
    Tim,
    (Another issue: I can't seem to get imported airfields FSX to show in Free Flight selection. They are definitely saved correctly in the Scenery Library but don't show in the selection of airfields.)
    As everyone else has said, there's no comparison between flying over photoscenery in MSFS and flying over landclass tiles in other sims. Sorry I can't help with the FSX scenery issue, but installing scenery into MSFS is a simple unzip the scenery folder then drag-and-drop it into your Community folder - that's all there is to it.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X, Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia RTX2060 6Gb, Logitech Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Win 10 Pro x64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast