A love letter to FS2004

joaopaz

Just found this on another forum.

Touching video - and I sure so many of us can relate to this feeling; if not all of us.

I'm sure "Chris" must be somewhere around this forum, too... so here's me retributing the final statement to you:

Thank You, Chris!

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

That was very well edited and written. The video does echo my sentiments and experiences as well. My "gift" was FS2004 from my brother who just didn't have an interest in the game, but I sure did! Each and every single day I'd fly with my homemade cafe Bustelo Latte near by. It was around circa 2006 and I happened to be 26. It's absolutely amazing how time has flown by. I'm now 41 and still feel 30!

I remember when I first took off out of Seattle in the Lear 45. Went right over the Cascades and nearly scraped the belly of the plane with some tress. Over time I started to learn like a flipping Terminator. When I discovered the PMDG 737 I was REALLY impressed. I pretty much learned everything by myself, and did some reading online along the way.

Then, like the narrator of the video said, I started to delve into the guts of the Sim modifying gauges, creating custom panels, scenery design and adding AI by hand editing time tables to be compiled. To this day I still prefer to hand edit time tables.

I'm sure like my family, Chris' family new exactly what might be up his alley thus bought FSX for him on Christmas. When I was his age my grandma bought me my first ever scientific calculator and I played with that thing for hours just figuring stuff out that I wanted to - figure out. LOL! Latter on I got a generic graphing calculator that used its own code and I would literally sit in class hand writing little "programs" for my calculator. Back then in 1999 I made a program for my calculator that was a password safe and a random password generator. I used this for my first ever email account with a company called ZipLip.

In conclusion, It's pretty much the "nerd" ethos to do all this I reckon. The technology out there now-a-days, Github and beyond is absolutely unbelievable in every sense of the word, let me tell you. I'm glad I didn't know back then what I know now. I wasn't mature enough to have some of the skills I now possess. Like Peter Parker's dad said to Peter Parker, "with great power comes great responsibility."

@ CRJ

wonderful post!

Let me say this, to all: I'm just coming back to FS, but a decade ago I would even dream about my FS9 flights. The cool thing is that all my memories always translated in the form of real-world-scenery. Polygon-style FS9 scenery becomes life-complex in my memories. That's how powerful FS is.

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

That was very well edited and written. The video does echo my sentiments and experiences as well. My "gift" was FS2004 from my brother who just didn't have an interest in the game, but I sure did! Each and every single day I'd fly with my homemade cafe Bustelo Latte near by. It was around circa 2006 and I happened to be 26. It's absolutely amazing how time has flown by. I'm now 41 and still feel 30!

I remember when I first took off out of Seattle in the Lear 45. Went right over the Cascades and nearly scraped the belly of the plane with some tress. Over time I started to learn like a flipping Terminator. When I discovered the PMDG 737 I was REALLY impressed. I pretty much learned everything by myself, and did some reading online along the way.

Then, like the narrator of the video said, I started to delve into the guts of the Sim modifying gauges, creating custom panels, scenery design and adding AI by hand editing time tables to be compiled. To this day I still prefer to hand edit time tables.

I'm sure like my family, Chris' family new exactly what might be up his alley thus bought FSX for him on Christmas. When I was his age my grandma bought me my first ever scientific calculator and I played with that thing for hours just figuring stuff out that I wanted to - figure out. LOL! Latter on I got a generic graphing calculator that used its own code and I would literally sit in class hand writing little "programs" for my calculator. Back then in 1999 I made a program for my calculator that was a password safe and a random password generator. I used this for my first ever email account with a company called ZipLip.

In conclusion, It's pretty much the "nerd" ethos to do all this I reckon. The technology out there now-a-days, Github and beyond is absolutely unbelievable in every sense of the word, let me tell you. I'm glad I didn't know back then what I know now. I wasn't mature enough to have some of the skills I now possess. Like Peter Parker's dad said to Peter Parker, "with great power comes great responsibility."

Cafe Bustelo, my favorite k-cup coffee

I would even dream about my FS9 flights.

I had the same thing with three different games: Resident Evil (called Bio Hazard in Japan I guess), Mario, and the latest would be Ark.

With Resident Evil I was dreaming of a world of zombies. While I won most battles, I often found myself heading downstairs to a bunker, unlocking the large metal "vault-like door" and then waking up. With Mario, I was literally hitting large blocks with my head... you don't wanna know. LOL! And in Ark, well, I was riding a pterodactyl around mountainous cliff areas around the ocean. Much like

Since I'm a Terminator and Matrix fan, I've had dreams of that too. The Terminator dreams were all of me and crew on the battlefield sneaking around and infiltrating Skynet headquarters. It was pretty damn cool, let me tell you. With the Matrix, that was like being a damn

with super human abilities to walk up walls and what not. I played the Matrix video game circa 2003 so perhaps that helped foster that dream.

And for the record. The Matrix is a hybrid of the Terminator.

And yeah, I've often had dreams taking off in a 737 down a road somewhere out in the country or having to take over the controls. When I was kid living among the meadow larks and fields of wheat in no man's land North Dakota, I dreamed my Radio Flyer wagon could fly and I'd fly all around the country side and above the rivers. This was at night with the moon glow of some clouds.

Cafe Bustelo, my favorite k-cup coffee

Pretty good stuff. Gevalia is pretty decent, too. About to have a cup now. :D

Edited by CRJ_simpilot
I strive for perfection...