Goodbye FS9

regwalker7245

Whatever you choose keep your FS9 close.

After a 10-year hiatus on flight sim I recently dusted off my 4 cds :) Did a couple of installs under windows 10. One for tests, where I add everything I want to try (I'm having a blast discovering all those wonderful freeware packs of the past) and on the other install I'm going very controlled, just tested and proved addons, my "ultimate" choices;

actually both instances work wonderfully, quickly, solid frame rates around 50.

The thing with "best new programs" - like it was with FS9 in its days - is that you always need a top notch machine in order to run it decently, more often than not an expensive machine with an expensive graphics card, a great internet connection, and be willing to cope with ongoing development of the sim.

The thing with FS9 in 2022, for me, is that I can run it flawlessly with a low/mid spec machine and there's nothing else to do other than enjoy you sim to the fullest.

I was on your shoes some 10-15 years ago, not anymore. I'm hapilly trading the amazing looks and new features for a solid, smooth performance that allows me to enjoy my sim to the fullest whenever I want to fly. It's just fire and go.

Not to mention that FS9 was the highest peak of freeware addons. Any aircraft that I can think about will probably have a great freeware - or a payware that I already bought 10 years ago ;)

But do try new sims, just don't discard FS9 right away.

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

Whatever you choose keep your FS9 close.

After a 10-year hiatus on flight sim I recently dusted off my 4 cds :) Did a couple of installs under windows 10. One for tests, where I add everything I want to try (I'm having a blast discovering all those wonderful freeware packs of the past) and on the other install I'm going very controlled, just tested and proved addons, my "ultimate" choices;

actually both instances work wonderfully, quickly, solid frame rates around 50.

The thing with "best new programs" - like it was with FS9 in its days - is that you always need a top notch machine in order to run it decently, more often than not an expensive machine with an expensive graphics card, a great internet connection, and be willing to cope with ongoing development of the sim.

The thing with FS9 in 2022, for me, is that I can run it flawlessly with a low/mid spec machine and there's nothing else to do other than enjoy you sim to the fullest.

I was on your shoes some 10-15 years ago, not anymore. I'm hapilly trading the amazing looks and new features for a solid, smooth performance that allows me to enjoy my sim to the fullest whenever I want to fly. It's just fire and go.

Not to mention that FS9 was the highest peak of freeware addons. Any aircraft that I can think about will probably have a great freeware - or a payware that I already bought 10 years ago ;)

But do try new sims, just don't discard FS9 right away.

On the graphics point. I have a PC to run MSFS. I would buy another if I needed to run MSFS. For myself, it has nothing to do with being "stuck" with FS9. It's totally by choice.

While some areas of MSFS may look great, many do not. I have a major issue with graphics inconsistency. I don't want to fly somewhere to find that suddenly everything turns to poo poo or I see faults and flaws or inconsistencies. This for me totally kills the flight, the immersion, the enjoyment, it's annoying. I don't need to own MSFS to understand the MSFS world will be full of these issues today, tomorrow and in years to come because that is the technology it is bound by.

FS9 ground textures may be dated but they are consistent worldwide. I fly planes. I don't really care about the ground until I hit an airport and the good quality airports can look quite good as can the good quality aircraft in FS9.

In every other respect beyond graphics, MSFS offers very little or next to nothing over FS9. In some areas, it's light years behind. The lack of camera options are certainly one that would drive me crazy.

People very quickly flip to the new and they can have it. It's the same with many new games not just MSFS. It's the reason I totally ignore graphics today because it's all the other aspects of a game that determine how much fun it can be. I play many old games for this reason and it's not just FS9.

There are different reasons I do not use FSX or X-Plane either. None of the reasons have to do with my "inability" to switch to another sim. I use FS9 because I simply believe it to be the best overall flight sim. To be honest, people won't be creating anything to match FS9 in the future so it will remain the best sim for many years to come. All those who wish to jump ship, I wish them the best, totally their choice and if they think the other sims have enough to hold their interest good for them.

Mark Daniels

FYI, there are plenty of camera options in MSFS. One must own the sim to see those. Also, the graphics kill FS2004 out of the box and the graphics of MSFS do not turn to poo poo. Don't believe everything you read here. Finally, MSFS is years ahead of anything FS2004 offers in every other respect. I can show you any screen shots to back up my statements.
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

FYI, there are plenty of camera options in MSFS. One must own the sim to see those. Also, the graphics kill FS2004 out of the box and the graphics of MSFS do not turn to poo poo. Don't believe everything you read here. Finally, MSFS is years ahead of anything FS2004 offers in every other respect. I can show you any screen shots to back up my statements.

All MSFS screenshots and videos show a wide angle/stretched/distorted perspective. In FS9, albeit with add-on help, I can use any perspective and place the camera anywhere in the FS world. No limitations.

There are areas of the world that are not as well covered, there will be significant differences in quality from the best MSFS areas to the worst.

Mark Daniels

Should also say the clouds totally suck and there is considerable work that needs to be done to many of the ground textures. Some of the imagery can’t be fixed at all as there is no detail in the source image to bring back detail. You can’t bring back what was not there in the first place.

I was also a pro photographer for many years. I’m aware of things many don’t see or understand the difference between good imagery and bad. Satellite imagery simply has restrictions and MSFS will never get around it all. Every time something is not right, I would notice it and it would annoy me.

Mark Daniels

I agree about not totally deleting FS9. As I wrote in an earlier thread, all the Microsoft simulators have been the same, in that they had nice planes and scenery for the dates when they were made, and each of them was better than the one issued before, but when you arrived at an airfield they were a disappointment. FS9 is still the only one that has that airfield that I saw for the first time when flying down the Mackenzie River in 2005 in real life.

Scarry Title "Goodbye FS9" Tried them all and still stick to FS9. Few flaws it might have still overpower the glitches in the new FS products. Would need lot of convincing to leave FS9!

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Scarry Title "Goodbye FS9" Tried them all and still stick to FS9. Few flaws it might have still overpower the glitches in the new FS products. Would need lot of convincing to leave FS9!

Exactly. Couldn’t pay me to leave FS9! The day a sim can do everything it can do, yeah sure. Got a feeling I’ll be waiting some time!

Goodbye to the members in this forum. My posts are now under moderation and I have no interest in staying anywhere where I have such restrictions. All the best to all and long live FS9!

Hey Mark, reconsider that, please.

I don't know you but I enjoy your posts and opinions, I find interesting the things you say and honestly feel you have much to give to this hobby - and honestly, I was looking forward to that.

In all honesty, too, I will concede that there is no need to address the same subject "this versus that" every time. But we all, I'm sure, have things that clash with other people. I know that, for instance, I can go overboard with boring long sentences :)

So, reconsider. You have a voice in the FS9 community so keep your voice here! I'm sure we, FS9rs, may display the strenghts of our sim of choice, unmistakeably, without having to mention other sims.

You made your point already. You're entilted to it, and it is well known by now. So let's move to greener pastures ;)

I'd like to keep reading you.

Cheers!

Joao

Joao Paz

Mark, don't leave. I agree things have sorely gone downhill since Tom passed. But many of us enjoy your input.

Mitch

You do realize that the Tom you are referring to had nothing ever to do with this site, correct? He was over at the AV... site.

When I read the title the music of Queen ran through my head like the shadowy flight of Knight Rider or something... :D

(I am contemplating giving up on FS9 (2004).

Any suggestions on the best new Flight Simulator Program?6

Check out Lockheed's Prepar3d...

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

The one factor that indisputably puts FS9 way ahead of all other sims is that when you land at an airport or airfield it is far more likely to be true to life, with hangars and terminal all resembling the actual buildings. No other sim has the 18 years of work that have been put in by hundreds of scenery designers.

You do realize that the Tom you are referring to had nothing ever to do with this site, correct? He was over at the AV... site.

... where things really have gone down hill since Tom passed away. There is a very opressive orthodoxy in the moderation there, and don't get me started on the adverts.

The best thing about FlightSim.com is the light moderation and members' self-regulation.

I doubt there's a more balanced flightsim forum but I do believe that potential flame wars need to be defused before they happen. The trick is in having the maturity to walk away for a while when the other chap starts biting. The open nature of discussion here is what I find most attractive about the forum. Personally, I've not seen any seriously offensive posts: it takes two to tangle and I've a good supply of popcorn.

Anyhow, as far as leaving FS9 is concerned, I doubt I ever will but it still ticks all the boxes I need. Different sims for different purposes. Some have better flight dynamics, some have better graphics. Some have better AI or ATC or a broader range of addons. Some (Flight Unlimited anyone?) are just ace anyway. We all go where we can find what we are looking for and that's bound to change over time.

D

My FSX Gold is only 99,99% of MSFS graphics, but 100% FS9 stability and versatility........

(All ORBX, all UTX.....)

Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

(...)Some have better flight dynamics, some have better graphics. Some have better AI or ATC or a broader range of addons. Some (Flight Unlimited anyone?) are just ace anyway. (...)

D

:pilot:

FU.jpg

FUII.jpg

Joao Paz

@jskorna

are you joking or try to pull our legs ???

OMG incompetence all over ... BUT a lot of it !

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

What are you even talking about?

The one factor that indisputably puts FS9 way ahead of all other sims is that when you land at an airport or airfield it is far more likely to be true to life, with hangars and terminal all resembling the actual buildings.

As long as are used third party sceneries. Unfortunately not always the case for those like flying in other eras. That means FS generally speaking is almost focused on actual flying world.

Bernard