Who still flies FS2004 regularly?

joaopaz

Thread title is self-explanatory, count me in :)

The pleasure of hitting the FS9 icon on the desktop and being able to take off within a minute... priceless! (just to mention one reason)

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

The pleasure of hitting the FS9 icon on the desktop and being able to take off within a minute... priceless! (just to mention one reason)

Exactly! I'm at the point there is nothing left to do with FS9 other than fly and explore all the texture add-ons etc. It means I can just enjoy all the aircraft, slowly learn to fly them while I sit back and change the look of FS9 every time I feel like a new look. There's enough planes to last my lifetime. One of the best aspects of FS9 is there is no frustration, no time tweaking or doing anything other than flying. That's how a flight sim should be! This "it'll be right in 10 years" doesn't cut it. OMG, some people are in for many years of frustration.

Seriously, how people can sit there, be ready and wanting to fly, firing up their sim, only to find a 100GB update needs to be done first! Insane. lol

One member I notice is complaining about it right now.

Mark Daniels

Somebody loves to exaggerate about 100 GB updates which is not unusual for this individual. He exaggerates all the time about things. FS 2004 graphics are cartoonish, out of date and the planes fly like they are a train on rails rather than an actual aircraft. Oh, and don't forget the Blue screen of death that happens all the time, especially after a long flight and in the landing phase due to a low memory usage problem. FS 2004 is complete trash compared to MSFS 2020. The graphics are fantastic. The flight models aren't perfect (yet), but they will get there and are way better than anything in FS9. And yes I've decided to interfere with your precious FS 2004 forum like you do constantly in the MSFS 2020 forum. You have no experience flying in MSFS 2020 but yet seem to be able to criticize it with complete disregard or any 1st hand knowledge of this new simulator. I dare you, no, I double dare you to try MSFS 2020 for a month then maybe I will listen to your criticisms. That is if your computer system is even up to the task, which I doubt.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Exactly! I'm at the point there is nothing left to do with FS9 other than fly and explore all the texture add-ons etc. It means I can just enjoy all the aircraft, slowly learn to fly them while I sit back and change the look of FS9 every time I feel like a new look. There's enough planes to last my lifetime. One of the best aspects of FS9 is there is no frustration, no time tweaking or doing anything other than flying. That's how a flight sim should be! This "it'll be right in 10 years" doesn't cut it. OMG, some people are in for many years of frustration.

Seriously, how people can sit there, be ready and wanting to fly, firing up their sim, only to find a 100GB update needs to be done first! Insane. lol

One member I notice is complaining about it right now.

Yes, I spent 10 intense years immersed in flightsim-related activies that were great but that resulted many times in little flying. Then spent the next 10 years without firing an engine. Now it is about flying and enjoying what so many people created. FS9 so far is being perfect for that.

I just payed a visit to the Misty/Tongass Fjords and, wow, that still looks absolutely amazing. Going to stay there for a while :)

And the planes, sure. I remember the first time I nailed a proper approach in a DC-6, being able to slow down that "beast" in stages, following FSAviator's documentation... I was just using a 2D panel and a printed text file :)))) I don't believe I managed to find the time to look to the plane from outside.

What is now a pure joy is to be able to fly not worried with frame rates. Back then I was always on the edge, frames droping to some unflyable 8-10 right when I needed them most.

My current modest PC locks comfortaby at 50! Never had that before, lol.

Well, I play a 150 years old violin and a few 40+ years electric guitars. Why not a 20 years old sim? ;)

Joao Paz

Oh, and don't forget the Blue screen of death that happens all the time, especially after a long flight and in the landing phase due to a low memory usage problem

My sim is better than yours means nothing. Talk is cheap. Do you know how you can really tell what is good and what is not? You look at attitudes!

There are 4-5 of you MSFS guys that are really, really grumpy! Why? You can look back at any of my previous 1,282 posts and you will not find one where I get grumpy because someone likes something besides FS9. The reason for this is I am not frustrated, I am not waiting for the next update and the next update and the next update in hope I may one day actually be happy. My sim brings me nothing but joy! The entire planet can hate it but it would make no difference to me. I'll still smile every time I launch it and watch that magical menu open up! (errr...opens very quickly too!)

Unlike yourself with FS9, I understand MSFS.

When was the last time you used FS9?

You make reference to memory. You're not even talking about the right sim! :rolleyes:

And yes, my PC will run MSFS.

To summarize everything, MSFS is a pile of bug ridden junk and a pretty picture game. FS9 is the best flight sim in the world! You just have to accept it. I know you could if you tried hard enough! I have faith. lol

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

@CTarana45

sir,

you are QUITE wrong about fs2004 bugs.

I submitted 83 bugs to the "gods responsible for this product" alone ...

never got any replay.

that was the reason I never went to FSX because the did not EVEN bother to look at the still existing problems FS9 had.

IF these "gods" would even had considered considered to fix some of them than all the following .... PRODUCTS were not have been needed.

I never understood why the FSX team did not look at the existing problems of FS9 ..

Now reading about the "NEW" wonderful product confirms my take on MS , including this Windows Crap following Windows XP, confirms my thoughts .... Software Incompetent developers ... MR. Gates at the helm ...

I still use XP and FS9 because I was and still not being willing to DEBUG for a second time Gates SW Crap !!!

sincerely

g. kirschstein

Edited by GKKnupper

@kevinfolsom

sir,

I forgive you BECAUSE you do not know what you are talking !!!

Because I have my friendly day otherwise I would take the liberty to tell you the truth about your IT knowledge.

You must be one of the persons who likes looks over substance !!

OMG

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

Edited by GKKnupper

All the time still, for the past 8 years now.

Plenty of addons, plenty of "world building". With MSFS it's all built for you already though which is very nice..

I'd certainly love if the default sceneries were better, but that's why they're default sceneries. Most of the time I just download an addon and am happy with it.

I doubt MSFS can be tweaked when models, sceneries and whatnot aren't up to par.

Carlos Si

@skywatcher12

Don't worry about those IQ loaded experts ...

They do not know what Flightsimulator means, they are looking for "Look how nice I look" and nothig else.

I answered to 2 gentlemen and I hope the reply gets to them ...

IF I would have the chance to discuss face to face with them why after Windows XP any other MS Crap was produced

they would "exactly" know why ...

Why FSX did NOT fix any of the remaining FS9 problems THESE experts might know as well .....

I do not care what anybody else is using, Windows Crap or FS version, but these so called experts try to force THEIR opinion upon other HAPPY Simmers which might know a little bit more about System HW / SW / Firmware / OP-Systems

Application Designs and implementations of all of these subjects.

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

@skywatcher12

Sir,

sorry but your statement " nothing else to do just fly" is almost correct BUT there are still major problems in FS9.

The "ERROR Handler" is theeeeee worst one I have ever encountered in my IT carrier within the last sixty (60) years

in SW Development !!!

Furthermore it is really ridiculous that at FS Start UP time this expert for the EFFECTS did this unbelievable unnecessary work which complicates debugging of some planes almost impossible ....

NO design walk through was performed in this area alone, besides the horrible ERROR Handler, which shows that the Finance and Sales experts forced an INCOMPLETE product into the market.

After FS9 , for these obvious reasons, I was NOT willing to debug FSX and spent any money on ANY of these products from MS Gates anymore.

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

I still use XP

I use Win XP as well and just like FS9, it will be lifelong.

The software industry has gone backwards. There was a time developers took pride in their software and it resulted in some great games and programs. Today, profits have become the primary focus.

It's typical of modern society. Values have changed and the world is worse for it.

This doesn't mean you have to accept it as an individual. Win 10/11 are not operating systems for the people. They are operating systems to make Microsoft loads of $$$. MSFS is not for the people, it is to make Microsoft loads of $$$.

We should never be in a situation where you purchase a game and after 2 years it is still not finished. People should not accept this let alone argue in favor of it but they do.

Mark Daniels

Yes. Yes yes yes!

Regularly and frequently.

Not modding at such a low level as GK and only flying fixed wing, the only extant problems I see are trivial on modern machines.

One is the landclass texture folder memory leak (a genuine bug in the fundamental code that would have been simple to fix). The other is that MS never expected more than 3 figure framerates which, combined with lazily designed sound handling,makes some sounds buzz at high fps.

(Oh, and flat, horizontal runways.)

There are simple workarounds for the first two (implemented at home...) and a rather poorer one for the runway problem, which is only good for farm strips, and rubbish for AI.

I love exploring, breaking the rules, adhering to the rules, hunting for eastereggs and other oddities (oil rigs, mesh errors, flying under bridges or between highrise buildings, landing in fields & forest clearings, finding new mountain passes, variety of planes, customizable and very eclectic AI traffic, exploding AI with FSUIPC, making my own backwoods retreats c/w airstrips, Air Hauler et c.)

Fireworks and northern lights... Northern lights!

Spending 30 minutes on a full start up routine or getting off the ground in under 60 seconds as I please.

A year's worth of downloaded metars.

I've been on a round the world flight for over ten years and I think I'll get to my grave before getting back home...

It does everything I need and pretty well everything I want.

D

Edited by defaid

I love exploring, breaking the rules, adhering to the rules, hunting for eastereggs and other oddities (oil rigs, mesh errors, flying under bridges or between highrise buildings, landing in fields & forest clearings, finding new mountain passes, variety of planes, customizable and very eclectic AI traffic, exploding AI with FSUIPC, making my own backwoods retreats c/w airstrips, Air Hauler et c.)

Fireworks and northern lights... Northern lights!

D

Northern lights, huh?

That's my kind of flying locations :)

One thing I'm looking for (perhaps you have that solved already?)

Frozen lakes, rivers, for landing:

FSAddon Misty/Tongass Fjords have them nicely but I believe they're coded in their sceneries.

Roger Wensley has released an "ice" file and it works - but has those "LOD" lines visible which are a turn off. It is not his file, of course, I guess it is how FS9 scenery layers work...

Just spent the past week flying low and slow from PANC Anchorage to PAOM Nome and those lines were the only thing that standed out of an otherwise perfect flight!

+++

So far I'm counting 6 active FS9'ers here? lol

Joao Paz

With all due respect: The symptoms you're describing here are systemic to FSX. FS2004 is immensely more stable when conducting longhaul flights.

Add to that that one (me) can easily have 200+ major airlines in AI traffic wihtout FS2004 as much as batting an eyelid, for me it is the far more felixble and abjustable product than anything else.

Regards

FS9 is like the old workhorse that you cant keep down. It just plugs away doing its thing while the shiny modern vehicles burp, fart, shudder, steam and conk out because they are all half finished and rushed.

I've done my best to rip out the heart of FS9, destroy its insides with texture/scenery/module 'tweaks' (now mods for the kids), and it still runs. Time and time again. Over and over an over. If it doesn't its usually 99.9% a very simple fix that wasn't picked up on.

I have 3 installed.

A modern version using the iFLy 737/747 etc and modern scenery.

A 60's/70's retro version with mostly HJG/CBFS aircraft. 707, 727, 747 classics, Bac 1-11's, Tridents, F27/FH227's, Viscounts etc etc.

And a classic prop version based on Calclassics awesome aircraft and scenery.

I never get bored with it because when I'm sick of flying one, I fire up a Connie and navigate over the Atlantic using the cool bubble sextant add-on. Or NDB etc. Then decide to jump in the 737-800 for some modern flying for one of my VA's. Then fire up a 727 or Trident for some Mach 0.84-86 cruising speed using the Civa INS or VOR for navigation. And lastly finish with my favourite, the 747-100/200 and likewise plan a long haul using INS and no moving map. Too many choices!!

You cant beat FS9 for its smoothness, ease of use, quiet temperament, its myriads of add-ons, scenery, aircraft of all eras, and 'mods'.

No BSOD (lol).

No OOM's.

No reliance on internet/MS servers.

No million plus hot fixes needed.

No writing up your own XML codes to install scenery.

FS9 is still the best desktop flight simulator there is.

Glory, Glory, FS9'ers

Glory, Glory, FS9'ers

Glory, Glory, FS9'ers

As FS9 goes marching on on on!!!!!!

Absolutely agree. Tried FSX and do not dare to try the new FS (Like flying and detail scenery is no issue for me).

FS2004 is the best! Got it up to over 100GB with various add-ons and aircraft. A real flying - I can tell, have spent lot of time in the real cockpits.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

A modern version using the iFLy 737/747 etc and modern scenery.

A 60's/70's retro version with mostly HJG/CBFS aircraft. 707, 727, 747 classics, Bac 1-11's, Tridents, F27/FH227's, Viscounts etc etc.

And a classic prop version based on Calclassics awesome aircraft and scenery.

I am thinking about going that same way - your numbers 2 and 3. My number 1 is Alaska Bush Flying.

Here's a repaint I did many moons ago of one of the very best FS addons! That's a fictional airline, a small VA I had back then :)

This repaint was later included in FSDZigns Connie for FSX.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=91794775

Glory, Glory, FS9'ers

Glory, Glory, FS9'ers

Glory, Glory, FS9'ers

As FS9 goes marching on on on!!!!!!

Amen to that! :D

laz049a_1.jpg

laz049a_2.jpg

laz049a_3.jpg

laz049a_4.jpg

laz049a_5.jpg

Joao Paz