4GB patch to FS9

joaopaz

NOTE : this is NOT a crack

Hi guys,

In the last year I installed FS9 in Windows10 quite a few times.

I don't remember already where I got this idea from; and not sure if that is really required... but I tried it and it didn't do any harm. So I thought I'd share it here, and maybe some of you may even know better and judged if is is at all necessary.

Basically I applied a generic patch to the main FS9.EXE file (after all the updates you already are aware of).

This patch simply turns on a "flag" that allows your executable (fs9.exe) to have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms.

If you decide to try it be sure to backup your original exe first.

Also proceed with common sense caution when downloading new files. Check them with your A/V software, etc.

The file can be found here:

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Anyone else tried this? and if you did, have you noticed any improvement?

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

I installed this "patch" quite some years ago but as an advice found somewehere on the internet. Did not perform any before/after frame rate tests though but I've been using it without problems ever since.

Hans

It does nothing to visuals or performance. It will help stop OOM's.

Thanks, guys.

That's consistent with what I have here.

I was just wondering why there are so many threads about various types of FS9 installations and no one mentions this.

Like Hans I got it too from some advice on the net.

Joao Paz

Thanks, guys.

That's consistent with what I have here.

I was just wondering why there are so many threads about various types of FS9 installations and no one mentions this.

Like Hans I got it too from some advice on the net.

Most people don't have OOM's in FS9. It depends what you run in your FS9 if you will ever have an OOM issue.

People only look into things when they have a problem and most people simply get by fine with no need for the patch. If you don't have OOM's, you have no need whatsoever for the patch as it helps nothing else.

Mark Daniels

Most people don't have OOM's in FS9. It depends what you run in your FS9 if you will ever have an OOM issue.

People only look into things when they have a problem and most people simply get by fine with no need for the patch. If you don't have OOM's, you have no need whatsoever for the patch as it helps nothing else.

Thank you, Marc!

I think I got it now, great explanation.

Cheers!

Joao Paz

Hey Guys,

Does an OOM mean that you simply do not have enough memory or does it mean that because of a programming error in something which is programmable, e.g. a cockpit instrument and which error is then trying to access an area outside the area alotted by Windows to software, like FS9 ?

I've always been lead to believe that the latter was the case because substituting the whole panel usually solved my OOM, while only later, when I had more time, the culprit instrument was routed out and replaced. However, it's been years since I had my last OOM.

Regards

Hans

If code tries to access an invalid memory location you will get an access violation error. Out of Memory can be caused either by exceeding the 2/3/4GB process limit through too detailed textures or a bug that causes a memory leak.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

joaopaz~

Where should I put folder at for 4GB_patch.exe at? C:\\Mircosoft games\ which folder?

I think I have a problem with dumb panel lost GPS, MAP, speed some of them not working anymore. Is that causing virtual memory losing for the panel issues?

Please tell me how to put and run correctly? I do not want to screw it up my vintage FS2004 files. I have to be careful with this.

Thanks a lot,

Stuart

If code tries to access an invalid memory location you will get an access violation error. Out of Memory can be caused either by exceeding the 2/3/4GB process limit through too detailed textures or a bug that causes a memory leak.

Cheers!

Yes, mostly it happens by a self caused installation bug of all kinds. MS OP doesn't know a message like "incompability error". It's just simple like that.

Bernard