Flying Car gets Approval

A flying car capable of hitting speeds of 100 mph while flying as high as 8,000 feet has garnered approval from the Slovak Transport Authority.

The certificate of airworthiness comes after the AirCar completed 70 hours of rigorous flight testing, according to Klein Vision, the company that built the machine.

Read more:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/flying-cars-one-step-closer-to-reality-after-passing-crucial-test/ar-AATcUvG?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

When I was a kid I too dreamed of flying cars.... Then in 1982 in my mid 20's along came the Moller Skycar and I was like wow we're on the way.... Sadly Moller never got beyond testing and that was that! Many others have tried but when the passenger drones came into concept never did the flying car look silly. The passenger drone will win the day they are far more practical than a crazy flying car that you can not land in your tiny back garden.....

article-1088843-02908041000005DC-238_468x355.jpg

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

For more about flying cars in the past, Molt Taylor, who created the Aerocar, which got full certification as a normal category aircrcaft, wrote an Air Facts article some years back: https://airfactsjournal.com/2013/05/from-the-archives-molt-taylor-on-flying-cars/

I know they fly and drive because I've seen them, more than once. Neat stuff. There's lots more about the Aerocar on the web, too.

BTW, the Aerocar was used on The New Bob Cummings Show, starring Bob Cummings, who owned the Aerocar featured on the TV show.

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

There certainly have been numerous attempts over the years, but while the idea of a combination drive-or-fly vehicle seems to appeal to most people, a simple and practical solution has been constantly escaping. I agree with daspinall that the drone configuration looks to be the most practical, but it is still hard to imagine how it can be applied to the car-configuration. Recent advances in battery technology will promote all-electric drive systems.

There certainly have been numerous attempts over the years, but while the idea of a combination drive-or-fly vehicle seems to appeal to most people, a simple and practical solution has been constantly escaping. I agree with daspinall that the drone configuration looks to be the most practical, but it is still hard to imagine how it can be applied to the car-configuration. Recent advances in battery technology will promote all-electric drive systems.

Needs proper thinking abaht, well before we let loose non-pilots in the air.

Drones, cars, all have the same idiots behind the controls, I've already had a near-miss with a drone and all my fellow pilots have the same reservation. Not that we're in any way biased, but I've had numerous experiences with qualified pilots some of whom couldn't tie their own show laces... and THEY somehow get Pilot's Licences!

Last time I was in the car park a Pilot managed to tip his car off the hard standing, and that was at ground level! They still let him fly!

I agree! Can you imagine a swarm of Drones over the city by people commuting to work - the potential collisions and the danger of people on the ground getting hit by debris? :)

Yes the problem is we humans like to shoot ourselves in the foot... I think passengers drones are 100% autonomous, no pilot licence or training necessary ..... foolproof? lol

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Yes the problem is we humans like to shoot ourselves in the foot... I think passengers drones are 100% autonomous, no pilot licence or training necessary ..... foolproof? lol

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool - thus spake Stephen Hawking

And Douglas Adams wrote:"a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"

I have seen Teslas being driven from the passenger seat, and have hands-on experience of pilots who believe they know how to drive, so I know it's true...

It just takes one idiot, among thousands.... And who checks the drone pilots? Surely if they knew they would be real pilots?

• 2 months later...
This is only for millionaires and in limited editions. No one will allow flying around the city, much less everyone. There are not enough controllers. So far this is only the best concept of a flying car, but in the future people will weigh 150 kg on average and the car will not take off to all disappointment.
Does your car headlight use an brightest 9005 headlight bulb? Then this guide will help you make the right choice among the many bulbs that are on the market.

This is only for millionaires and in limited editions. No one will allow flying around the city, much less everyone. There are not enough controllers. So far this is only the best concept of a flying car, but in the future people will weigh 150 kg on average and the car will not take off to all disappointment.

You're right -- it's never going to be hugely popular and, if the pilot can drive it away from an airfield then part-ownership also becomes a problem. Still a great dream though.

price.jpg

You're right -- it's never going to be hugely popular and, if the pilot can drive it away from an airfield then part-ownership also becomes a problem. Still a great dream though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229929[/ATTACH]

A stupid question: Will the `qualified pilot` have to prove they have a full car licence?

I know several car drivers who have a pilots licence, but shouldn't be allowed in charge of a shopping trolley, much less some `million quid` car/plane hybrid!