Maybe Not a Big Deal, But . . .

. . . really annoying!

I'm working on developing AP skills and VOR-VOR and IFR flight plans. I'm learning!

However: When I am flying a plan, ATC keeps up a constant chatter about planes other than my own. I mean, like, FIFTY continuous messages to other planes to "expedite descent" by ginormous amounts. Constant nagging! (And he sounds like Rocky the Flying Squirrel, from the Bulwinkle cartoons.)

As for me: I was flying a plan above FL 300 when the control tower started telling me to "Expedite descent to 11,000," and "Expect FL 590." Constantly. My Cessna Citation can't go to FL 590, and I'm not sure who can.

Is this a bug? Is there some way, at least, to stop the tower from its incessant nagging of all these other bad boys who seem to be thousands of feet off their assigned altitudes? IRL, this degree of deviance from assigned altitudes would be disastrous. So, might ATC be like HAL in "2001"?

I figure 10 years before these 'bugs' will be 'ironed out'. MSFS is a WIP (work in progress) by the looks of it. And I also figure that in 10 years we will be 'working with' Windows 15 (or there abouts) and the first time you fire up MSFS Windows will cause a CTD and a pop-up will suggest you get X-Box? Maybe?

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

If you fly in the real world you will hear ATC talking to to other aircraft... ATC is your best friend in the air. stop thinking negative toward them..... FS is about immersion and that's what you have, enjoy it... you can also cancel you IFR at anytime and fly VFR but you will still hear ATC, that's the way it works...

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Is there some way, at least, to stop the tower from its incessant nagging of all these other bad boys who seem to be thousands of feet off their assigned altitudes?

Yes there is, and it's the easiest mod to apply: just double-click on the batch file. ATC annoyed the heck out of me too, so I was delighted to find this mod which STOPS the expedite descent nagging and gives more realistic instructions into the bargain: https://flightsim.to/file/4518/european-atc-phraseology-mod

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

If you fly in the real world you will hear ATC talking to to other aircraft... ATC is your best friend in the air. stop thinking negative toward them..... FS is about immersion and that's what you have, enjoy it... you can also cancel you IFR at anytime and fly VFR but you will still hear ATC, that's the way it works...

Negative toward ATC? Moi?

Hardly. I'm negative toward dysfunctional software.

Yes there is, and it's the easiest mod to apply: just double-click on the batch file. ATC annoyed the heck out of me too, so I was delighted to find this mod which STOPS the expedite descent nagging and gives more realistic instructions into the bargain: https://flightsim.to/file/4518/european-atc-phraseology-mod

Thanks, Tim, but I won't install that mod. For one thing, the install instructions are incoherent: they tell me to FIRST backup the en-US.locPak folder in the fs-base folder. Not sure what the "fs-base folder" is, but I searched FS and found hundreds of files with that name. They may know what they're doing, but I don't. Plus there's complex advice about accommodating future updates to FS. Too many pitfalls. I'll listen to the nagging.

Thanks, Tim, but I won't install that mod. For one thing, the install instructions are incoherent: they tell me to FIRST backup the en-US.locPak folder in the fs-base folder. Not sure what the "fs-base folder" is, but I searched FS and found hundreds of files with that name. They may know what they're doing, but I don't. Plus there's complex advice about accommodating future updates to FS. Too many pitfalls. I'll listen to the nagging.

Hmmm. I found only one folder named "fs-base" (where this is the full name), (in Offical/OneStore), and in it is a file named "en-US.locPak". Seems pretty straightforwatd to me.

OK. I found it now. Didn't understand there was a folder named "fs-base". I tried to figure out what they must have meant. My bad.

Still, the second and third instructions say this:

"Mod will be overwritten every update / hotfix, make a new back-up of the en-US.locPak file, reinstall.

"Reinstalling the Mod or when installing a newer version, first revert back to the original en-US.locPak."

OK, so when SU 7 hits us next week, I should assume the mod is overwritten and gone. Then I make a new backup of the file (as altered by the update, I guess). Then I reinstall the mod, right? Oh, but wait -- it says when I do so, I must "first revert back to the original file." Huh? Does that mean before I reinstall, I'm supposed to replace the file with my first backup? If so, then what was the point of making "a new back-up" after the update? What's that for? As I said, incoherent. Too many pitfalls.

Murphy's Law (which applies to MSFS): "If something can go wrong, it will go wrong."

(BTW, I appreciate your help, but don't spend more time on this thread. At least my sim is working pretty well, except for the nagging.)

OK, but for other interested parties here's some clarification:

The mod itself creates a backup of the original en-US.locPak and names it:

en-US.locPak.BACKUP 20220118T163806Z

So when a Sim Update is due, all you do is:

Delete the modded en-US.locPak.

Remove the ".BACKUP 20220118T163806Z" part of the backup file's filename.

Now you're back to default state and can start the Sim Update.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64