Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When is MSFS considered finished?

Default When is MSFS considered finished?

I know that MSFS is still considered to be in development, but have there been any fairly recent predictions of when development will be considered "finished"?

Asobo and Microsoft have stated from the beginning that this is a 10 year project that will keep evolving. You can see their current development updates and roadmap on the official site to get an idea of where they're at.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/janu...opment-update/

Basically, like many modern pieces of software, this isn't really going to have a final release like we got with FSX.

It’s a 10 year commitment to support, further develop etc - not finish. “Finished” maybe should be considered as when major bugs are gone, sim is stable, good performance etc. We have a way to go to that “finished” but hopefully sooner rather than later in 2022. They did say recently that there would be more focus on fixing, QA etc, so here’s hoping. Cheers.

This 10-year commitment is really something innovative in the gaming arena, and might well be considered "revolutionary" (as far as I know, anyway). It's supposed to keep you state-of-the-art for 10 years, even surviving one or maybe more OS changes.

Even so, I agree that the frequent mandatory updates (average 2 months each) are a bit exhausting and tend to break things that previously worked fine. And above all, most updates render many add-ons useless, forcing their authors to update them in turn, in a crazy endless race to nowhere.

Oddly enough, this happens in a sim which supposedly encourages the use of 3rd party add-ons, having even included an in-game market system, and such an easy solution as a Community folder where simply drag and drop external add-ons.

Well, it's been a year and a half already. Let's see what the future brings.
    Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Thanks for all your informative comments. I must say that I hope Asobo/MS will reach a point where they consider MSFS to be basically complete within the next year or so. This should not exclude continuing, optional updates - or even a Version II to be for sale. But 10 years of required updates would probably break a lot of SSD's or HD's or require new computers!

Quote Originally Posted by danbiosca View Post
    This 10-year commitment is really something innovative in the gaming arena, and might well be considered "revolutionary" (as far as I know, anyway). It's supposed to keep you state-of-the-art for 10 years, even surviving one or maybe more OS changes.

Even so, I agree that the frequent mandatory updates (average 2 months each) are a bit exhausting and tend to break things that previously worked fine. And above all, most updates render many add-ons useless, forcing their authors to update them in turn, in a crazy endless race to nowhere.

Oddly enough, this happens in a sim which supposedly encourages the use of 3rd party add-ons, having even included an in-game market system, and such an easy solution as a Community folder where simply drag and drop external add-ons.

Well, it's been a year and a half already. Let's see what the future brings.
    My experience is entirely different with respect to "most updates rendering many add-ons useless". I have hundreds of add-ons, and none have been rendered useless by updates (or anything else). Which add-ons are you talking about?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    My experience is entirely different with respect to "most updates rendering many add-ons useless". I have hundreds of add-ons, and none have been rendered useless by updates (or anything else). Which add-ons are you talking about?
    I noticed some add on aircraft DO need updates after the updates to the sim, that in itself is getting a bit tiring, but otherwise, airports and the like seem to function just fine.

Blog Entries

I have the PMDG DC-6 been sitting in limbo because of updates... That I don't mind it's the ASOBO updates that knock the sim for six that drive me mad..... after a year and a half this should not be happening but it still happens.... It's sad really because when it works MSFS2020 is awesome, and even more awesome now I've upgraded the GPU.......
    Last edited by daspinall; 01-26-2022 at 12:54 PM.
    ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING Socket AM4 ATX AMD B550
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*
    Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler
    Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 32GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*
    ASUS RTX 3070 EKWB 8GB
    850W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2
    CH Eclipse Yoke Corsair K60 Keyboard Cherry Mouse
    Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Some Drzewiecki Landmarks packs became unusable after an update and remained so for months. Also, some aircraft liveries and scenery textures changed to chequered pink after some updates. Excellent free utilities such as Shift+Z Stats or the amazing TBM930 Improvement Mod have required updates after some MS updates... just to name a few.

I can't believe this is new to you. It's not for nothing that Asobo recommends emptying the Community folder before every update (before!!! Just in case!!!)
    Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    Asobo and Microsoft have stated from the beginning that this is a 10 year project that will keep evolving.
    Maybe in the 10th year we'll get a flyby view?
    i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast