When is MSFS considered finished?

Asobo and Microsoft have stated from the beginning that this is a 10 year project that will keep evolving. You can see their current development updates and roadmap on the official site to get an idea of where they're at.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/january-20th-2022-development-update/

Basically, like many modern pieces of software, this isn't really going to have a final release like we got with FSX.

It’s a 10 year commitment to support, further develop etc - not finish. “Finished” maybe should be considered as when major bugs are gone, sim is stable, good performance etc. We have a way to go to that “finished” but hopefully sooner rather than later in 2022. They did say recently that there would be more focus on fixing, QA etc, so here’s hoping. Cheers.

This 10-year commitment is really something innovative in the gaming arena, and might well be considered "revolutionary" (as far as I know, anyway). It's supposed to keep you state-of-the-art for 10 years, even surviving one or maybe more OS changes.

Even so, I agree that the frequent mandatory updates (average 2 months each) are a bit exhausting and tend to break things that previously worked fine. And above all, most updates render many add-ons useless, forcing their authors to update them in turn, in a crazy endless race to nowhere.

Oddly enough, this happens in a sim which supposedly encourages the use of 3rd party add-ons, having even included an in-game market system, and such an easy solution as a Community folder where simply drag and drop external add-ons.

Well, it's been a year and a half already. Let's see what the future brings.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Thanks for all your informative comments. I must say that I hope Asobo/MS will reach a point where they consider MSFS to be basically complete within the next year or so. This should not exclude continuing, optional updates - or even a Version II to be for sale. But 10 years of required updates would probably break a lot of SSD's or HD's or require new computers!

This 10-year commitment is really something innovative in the gaming arena, and might well be considered "revolutionary" (as far as I know, anyway). It's supposed to keep you state-of-the-art for 10 years, even surviving one or maybe more OS changes.

Even so, I agree that the frequent mandatory updates (average 2 months each) are a bit exhausting and tend to break things that previously worked fine. And above all, most updates render many add-ons useless, forcing their authors to update them in turn, in a crazy endless race to nowhere.

Oddly enough, this happens in a sim which supposedly encourages the use of 3rd party add-ons, having even included an in-game market system, and such an easy solution as a Community folder where simply drag and drop external add-ons.

Well, it's been a year and a half already. Let's see what the future brings.

My experience is entirely different with respect to "most updates rendering many add-ons useless". I have hundreds of add-ons, and none have been rendered useless by updates (or anything else). Which add-ons are you talking about?

My experience is entirely different with respect to "most updates rendering many add-ons useless". I have hundreds of add-ons, and none have been rendered useless by updates (or anything else). Which add-ons are you talking about?

I noticed some add on aircraft DO need updates after the updates to the sim, that in itself is getting a bit tiring, but otherwise, airports and the like seem to function just fine. :)

I have the PMDG DC-6 been sitting in limbo because of updates... That I don't mind it's the ASOBO updates that knock the sim for six that drive me mad..... after a year and a half this should not be happening but it still happens.... It's sad really because when it works MSFS2020 is awesome, and even more awesome now I've upgraded the GPU....... Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Some Drzewiecki Landmarks packs became unusable after an update and remained so for months. Also, some aircraft liveries and scenery textures changed to chequered pink after some updates. Excellent free utilities such as Shift+Z Stats or the amazing TBM930 Improvement Mod have required updates after some MS updates... just to name a few.

I can't believe this is new to you. It's not for nothing that Asobo recommends emptying the Community folder before every update (before!!! Just in case!!!) :D

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Asobo and Microsoft have stated from the beginning that this is a 10 year project that will keep evolving.
Maybe in the 10th year we'll get a flyby view?
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

There's one already in the Drone Camera views apparently, I don't use the Drone Camera so that's all I can tell you about it!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Some Drzewiecki Landmarks packs became unusable after an update and remained so for months. Also, some aircraft liveries and scenery textures changed to chequered pink after some updates. Excellent free utilities such as Shift+Z Stats or the amazing TBM930 Improvement Mod have required updates after some MS updates... just to name a few.

I can't believe this is new to you. It's not for nothing that Asobo recommends emptying the Community folder before every update (before!!! Just in case!!!) :D

I have only one Drzweicki pack, the one for D.C., and it works as well following the updates as it did before. Some, such as Shift-Z, do require updating after MSFS updates, but they are not thereby "rendered useless". Of course it is recommended to empty the Community folder before updates, but many of us use Addon Linker which places only links in there, and the files themselves are stored out of reach of updates to MSFS and cannot be affected by them.

In any case, your statement that "many add-ons are rendered useless" by add-ons is different from saying that one should empty Community as a precaution. Perhaps you would agree that this is a bit misleading?

Edited by cobalt

Some, such as Shift-Z, do require updating after MSFS updates, but they are not thereby "rendered useless".

What's the difference between "require updating" and "render useless until updated"? :)

We can go on discussing this for as long as you want, but I think it would be pointless. Especially given that I most usually agree with your opinions in this forum.

This 10-year commitment is really something innovative in the gaming arena, and might well be considered "revolutionary" (as far as I know, anyway).

Not at all...Xplane has had this same business model of what I refer to as a "never ending alpha", for the past 27 years now.

In fact, if you've been using Xplane at all in the last 7 years or so you'd also know that most of what MSFS offers today has already been featured in Xplane for a long time already. MSFS has indeed copy catted many of Xplane's features.

Mind you, I'm in no way complaining about that, and in fact I was always hoping this would eventually happen one day.

Dave K.

Computer Lessons & Basic Excel Classes

http://www.techtutors.us

http://www.longislandcomputerlessons.com

Not at all...Xplane has had this same business model of what I refer to as a "never ending alpha", for the past 27 years now. .

Yes but it hasn’t been the same edition for 27 years. You’ll have had to keep buying it during that time (as many of us have done)

We won’t have to keep buying MSFS as it will be updated for free for at least 10 years, in theory at least.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Spot on!

Do you have either of these Mark?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

In fact, if you've been using Xplane at all in the last 7 years or so you'd also know that most of what MSFS offers today has already been featured in Xplane for a long time already. MSFS has indeed copy catted many of Xplane's features.

How are the default seasonal textures in XP? Oh, wait.................

How is the default AI traffic in XP? Oh, wait...........

Maybe it's XP that has indeed been copy catting many of MS's features, and they are still WAY behind.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

In MSFS, I can see buildings, roads, terrain details and landmarks that are as they appear in real life from the same perspective. In X-Plane 11.5, the landscape is flat and cartoonish, kinda, sorta, not really like it looks in actuality.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

In MSFS, I can see buildings, roads, terrain details and landmarks that are as they appear in real life from the same perspective. In X-Plane 11.5, the landscape is flat and cartoonish, kinda, sorta, not really like it looks in actuality.

As is well known to everyone who has actually compared these sims.

I have had issues with the CONTENT manager not showing former options - like most of the LANDING challenges... and forgetting some of the JOYSTICK settings I had created ?

Thigs that an update (especially a Mandatory Update) should never allow to happen. But they are getting burned by their overly secure ? file structure that creates problems, but makes them feel in control somehow. I hope they never quit developing this - it can only get better, but you would think the amount of talent in the building could start looking at the user a bit... ya know us. Its like most technology that is trying to create an echosphere, move fast and break things, or fix it when you get done with the real priorities. If you are lucky it will work about 80% of the time. Its like the Users manual that never got written in the past. Now its not only not available we are left on our to figure it out and educate each other. I cant even log in to the MSFS discussion pages because I get errors each and every time.

Thats odd... my buildings still look like they are melting or bombed out. I have tried so many settings changes to fix this and nothing. I have a 1 GB/sec fiber internet so it isnt my internet speed. Intel Core i7-8700, NVIDA RTX2070 with most recent drivers (updated Feb 01 2022).