Need help programing Honeycomb yoke for FSX

Badger26

Just got my first Honeycomb yoke today. Very impressed with the build quality. Its miles better than the Logitech POS I had before. I am just having a slight problem programing the switches to act as switches in FSX. I think the main issue is Microsoft never bothered to make the on and off function of an operation separate for example a function will be programable as on/off instead on and off. Is there some kind of workaround for this issue?

Check the first post below. Ignore my faux pas concerning XPlane tho lol

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

First and foremost, did you go here? (Make sure you scroll done a little for the FSX download version.

You need software to interpret the commands from the controller so that Windows and then FSX can see what you're trying to do via input.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Tried but the driver download link for FSX doesn't seem to work. I'm guessing Microsoft asked Honeycomb to render the FSX driver link useless to get people to upgrade to FS2020. Typical corporate BS. They only have the download link for FS2020 drivers that works. Is there some other way I can get the FSX drivers? Edited by Badger26

I am on the lookout for something that lets me properly program switches so up is on and down is off. Will this help with that? It just ticks me off how bad a job Microsoft did setting up button mapping. Its the one big gripes I've always had with FSX. It just baffles me that Microsoft decided to just shrug at the fact that some controls may have switches and set everything up as buttons even though real planes almost always use switches.

set everything up as buttons even though real planes almost always use switches.

I presume you are talking about events that are only exposed as toggle functions (e.g. toggle landing gear instead landing gear up/down). Yes, this is a pain. You can often work around it by peeking at sim variables to see what state the thing in question is (gear, lights, fuel pumps, etc.) This will require some experimentation, a list of the SDK variables, a third-party tool of some kind and a bit of an understanding of programming. SPAD.neXt is probably the more accessible option as you can do everything from menus. FSUIPC is more poewrful but you really need to learn about Lua programming to make best use of that.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Tried but the driver download link for FSX doesn't seem to work. I'm guessing Microsoft asked Honeycomb to render the FSX driver link useless to get people to upgrade to FS2020. Typical corporate BS. They only have the download link for FS2020 drivers that works. Is there some other way I can get the FSX drivers?

I am on the lookout for something that lets me properly program switches so up is on and down is off. Will this help with that? It just ticks me off how bad a job Microsoft did setting up button mapping. Its the one big gripes I've always had with FSX. It just baffles me that Microsoft decided to just shrug at the fact that some controls may have switches and set everything up as buttons even though real planes almost always use switches.

I think the reason why the FSX link didn't work was because the the Web Dev for the Honeycomb website neglected to use HTTPS for the download link. It is instead HTTP which could cause a browser to freak out or some anti-virus or what ever. In this day and age there's a giant misconception that if it isn't served over HTTPS it's not safe or free from viruses or some other nonsense. Truth of the matter is, the only two chief things that HTTPS (TLS Transport Layer Security, falsely named SSL) offers is an end to end "encrypted" connection and website validity for a certain sense of "trust" that you're at such and such website by virtue of what the certificate was signed for from that Cert. issuer. Be it Lets Encrypt (be careful with that one), DigiCert, Comodo, Cloudflare, etc. You can see this Info. by clicking the padlock in the browser. Since this is a hyperlink you'll have to right click the link and copy/paste it. Now add HTTPS. Doing this I can strip down the URL to just

https://freeware.aerosoft.com/

I can now go to this link which will be a 403 (access denied), but I can see the certificate details without using the web console or SSL Labs. And doing this I see the Cert is issued to the subdomain of freeware.aerosoft.com from the certificate issuer Lets Encrypt. "freeware" is the subdomain part.

Also, as of this writing the links for X-Plane and Prepar3d are not HTTPS links as well. Only the "FS2020" Flight Simulator link has a HTTPS link which is from a shopify CDN (Content Delivery Network) domain.

Now, about the issue of levers, buttons and what not in the Sim. Remember what I said:

You need software to interpret the commands from the controller so that Windows and then FSX can see what you're trying to do via input.

With my CH Products yoke and pedals I was surprised FSX defaulted most functionality, but some things I changed or had to setup myself. In the Lear 45 for example, I had to set a button to fully deploy the thrust reversers. It won't do that if I throttle all the way done since I have that set to idle. So throttling all the way down takes me to idle. I like this setup because in the F-22 which I fly most of the time there isn't reverse thrust. Where's if I fly the Lear 45, as soon as I touch down I idle and hit the button for reverse thrust. Then hit the button again for no reverse thrust. The CH Products levers are mapped to gear and flaps. That I think was defaulted as soon as I launched FSX for the first time with the yoke attached.

I shared a YouTube link. Why? Because it shows the Honeycomb software in action and what its capabilities are. So it appears button assignments are possible as they should be.

The Microsoft corporate conspiracy is rightfully justified based on the track record of Microsoft and other big tech. But not in this case I'm afraid. This appears to be a web Dev issue not adding HTTPS to the download hyperlinks. Nothing more. At least that's what I think happened on your end and why you couldn't download the driver. Mind telling me what browser you are using or what ever it is you did to mitigate the issue? You may have opened up a vulnerability just to allow this link to download. So, if this is the case you might want to revert your settings. If this is anti-virus software, just know anti-virus software is a false sense of security and they are sending all of your telemetry back to home base. There are better ways for virus mitigation. Been meaning to make a post on that on my website and how I do things. I don't even use an anti-virus software. Been that way since circa 2015. Also, on the subject of corporate conspiracy theories, check out my post on my website about Edward Snowden (use the search facility provided). I briefly touch base on that subject.

Again, button mapping and interpretation is via the software to hardware connection, not the game. Well, lets say in "exotic" cases. So this wouldn't be a Microsoft issue. It's how the controller sends signals to the computer so that the software (FSX) reads the input via the middle man of the Honeycomb software. Make sense? FSUIPC is the same way. Its DLL is the middle man to signal interpretation from a yoke or controller for custom button settings and what not.

Anyone know why Aerosoft is dishing out the Honeycomb driver software? Were they involved in product development or something?

https://flyhoneycomb.com/pages/drivers -

That is your link, in small print under the MSFS 2020 driver is the FSX drivers. I was able to download them, you should be able to as well. After installation, restart FSX and do below.

You then have to go into controls settings and tweak some of them to get them to work. I took my Bravo unit off my PC, got something more compact, and it does not work at all in FSX. But I am going to press ahead, because the quality of what I got, versus HC-BTQ is better.