What the Heck is "TIMECL"?

I've had a recurrent problem trying to get my AP to track the GPS or VOR-VOR flight plans: unpredictably, the plane (any plane) will sometimes head off on its own to a heading seemingly unrelated to anything, but clearly still in AP mode.

Last night, I was in the Cessna 172 heading for Idaho Falls (KIDA), AP set on HDG. Then, when I switched to NAV, the plane set off to the east on its own, and I had an "AHA!" moment: I looked on the panel and saw that, while the CDI was set on GPS, the destination at the top of the screen was "TIMECL." I had seen this mysterious notation before, but had not associated it with my tracking problem. At that point I clicked on "Direct to," and re-entered KIDA. Problem solved.

Of course I had entered KIDA as my destination at the beginning of the flight, and the GPS track showed up clearly and accurately on the panel. So, why does the sim sometimes change the duly entered destination to the mysterious TIMECL"?

It's been a bug since SU5, the full explanation is here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bug-logged-vfr-flight-plan-bug-su5/427720

If you click the Menu button on the GPS and then select "Invert Flightplan" twice, the TIMECLIMB thing disappears.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It's been a bug since SU5, the full explanation is here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bug-logged-vfr-flight-plan-bug-su5/427720

If you click the Menu button on the GPS and then select "Invert Flightplan" twice, the TIMECLIMB thing disappears.

Thanks Tim, but: planes like the 320 don't have a Menu button on the GPS, since there is no GPS panel as such. On other planes, like the Cessna 172, there is a Menu button, but clicking it gives 3 options: "X Fill," "Change fields" and "Restore defaults."

But the thread was helpful, and I have found other ways to defeat the bug. In one case, I didn't turn on AP until well past the point where TIMECLIMB appeared in the NAVLOG. Or you can use HDG to follow the plan. Or, go to the IFR plan.