What is the safe altitude to make a turn after take-off ?

captarnaud

Hello

Another (basic) newbie question. To make it short I'm wondering when after take-off we can make a turn and change direction ? Asking for light aircrafts if that makes a difference.

I know from lessons on FS2020 that usually airport circuit is at 1000Ft, is it only after that limit we have to take into consideration ?

Thanks in advance

General rule in Australia, and I think many other places, is no turns until at least 500 feet AGL. After VMC into IMC I think low, slow, steep turns is the next big killer in GA. In Australia it is illegal to fly under 500 feet AGL unless landing, taking off, aerial work etc. - over built up areas it is 1000 feet AGL. Cheers.

It depends a LOT on what type of aircraft, the surrounding terrain, traffic, winds, etc.

That being said, for most light aircraft 400-500 AGL is a good target IF you don't have terrain, noise abatement and other problems to modify the situation. For instance at Boulder, CO airport they have signs in the runup area at the end of runway 08 (5288 ft) saying do NOT turn before 5800 MSL, for noise abatement.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Common sense applies as well as regulations. I only learnt to fly a Blanik glider, and the golden rule drummed into me was 'height is safety', given no engine. Of course, you can turn at any time, your choice (but you might incur the wrath of the authorities and fellow pilots), but given the aircraft flies most efficiently and safely with level wings, the worst situation to be in is in a climb, slow, nose up, wings not level, i.e. in a turn attitude, and LOW and SLOW, when the engine sputters and conks out. Bad situation. With that wing dipped you're in a configuration to go into a stall spin without sufficient altitude to recover (your 'new best friend' will be the ground and you'll enjoy a holiday in hospital, if you survive).

Better to climb straight out for awhile e.g. to pass the 500 ft Above Ground Level (AGL) before doing anything. Get as high as possible as quickly as possible, so set yourself up for maximum climb rate, e.g. I think in the Cessna 172 type its about 80 knots roughly, full throttle. Simply concentrate on getting to a safe altitutude and form a nice rectangular circuit if doing circuit practice, e.g. start (it takes time) a slow, gentle 90 degree turn left about 500' , then do the next turn 90 degree left at about 1000' (say start at 900) so that you join the 'downwind leg' at the nominal 1000' circuit height. Other pilots in the circuit will appreciate your proper and fully expected behaviour.

By getting into this simple, comfortable routine, your mind and body (that 'seat of the pants' feel) has time to focus on each leg of the climb out, nothing is rushed, and you are one with the aircraft. The same applies to landing, and what you intend to do on the flight - plan everything before you get in the plane, including knowing what turns you are going to make, at what altitude etc. Flying can then be enjoyable with minimal stress.

Edited by MAD1

Common sense applies as well as regulations. I only learnt to fly a Blanik glider, and the golden rule drummed into me was 'height is safety', given no engine. Of course, you can turn at any time, your choice (but you might incur the wrath of the authorities and fellow pilots), but given the aircraft flies most efficiently and safely with level wings, the worst situation to be in is in a climb, slow, nose up, wings not level, i.e. in a turn attitude, and LOW and SLOW, when the engine sputters and conks out. Bad situation. With that wing dipped you're in a configuration to go into a stall spin without sufficient altitude to recover (your 'new best friend' will be the ground and you'll enjoy a holiday in hospital, if you survive).

Better to climb straight out for awhile e.g. to pass the 500 ft Above Ground Level (AGL) before doing anything. Get as high as possible as quickly as possible, so set yourself up for maximum climb rate, e.g. I think in the Cessna 172 type its about 80 knots roughly, full throttle. Simply concentrate on getting to a safe altitutude and form a nice rectangular circuit if doing circuit practice, e.g. start (it takes time) a slow, gentle 90 degree turn left about 500' , then do the next turn 90 degree left at about 1000' (say start at 900) so that you join the 'downwind leg' at the nominal 1000' circuit height. Other pilots in the circuit will appreciate your proper and fully expected behaviour.

By getting into this simple, comfortable routine, your mind and body (that 'seat of the pants' feel) has time to focus on each leg of the climb out, nothing is rushed, and you are one with the aircraft. The same applies to landing, and what you intend to do on the flight - plan everything before you get in the plane, including knowing what turns you are going to make, at what altitude etc. Flying can then be enjoyable with minimal stress.

AGL - Above Ground Level means exactly what it says - it's the height above the ground (and surrounding terrain) that matters.

You gauge your approach and departure on winds, terrain and turn rate from which you derive a safe speed and then add the token variation that is defined on the charts. A safe bet is 1,000 ft Above Ground Level, but one should always relate it to local charts and never rely on ANY `rule of thumb` as it will surely kill you, eventually. I never undertake a steep turn within 1000 ft AGL in ANY powered light aircraft, although I do see Glider pilots doing maneuvres at 500 ft.

And round here we do have military pilots who roar over at a high bank angle and plenty of knots...

e.g. start (it takes time) a slow, gentle 90 degree turn left about 500' , then do the next turn 90 degree left at about 1000' (say start at 900) so that you join the 'downwind leg' at the nominal 1000' circuit height.

That "left turn" is only good for airports/runways with a left hand pattern. Substitute "right turn" when there's a right hand pattern. I mention this because too many simmers might not be aware that there are right hand patterns required in some places, usually either because of terrain or noise abatement, but occasionally it might be conflicting traffic, as well, even though left pattern is "standard." Of course "gentle," that is shallow to medium bank, is safest, so long as it's not so shallow that the turn takes you an unreasonable distance from the runway on downwind.

And mallcott is absolutely right about steep turns and rules of thumb. The steep turns (down low anything much past 30º bank angle) can kill you if everything isn't just right, and while rules of thumb can often be useful, there can be times when they're just not appropriate, so you really need to understand when they are and are not appropriate.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• 1 month later...