UK planes took a long detour

If you fly military planes in Europe, adjust your flight plans:

From Yahoo\Business Insider:

UK planes took a long detour around Germany to deliver weapons to Ukraine in case Russia invades

British Royal Air Force planes [RAF C-17s] flew around German airspace when they delivered anti-tank weaponry to Ukraine on Monday, flight-tracking data from FlightRadar24 shows.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/uk-planes-took-long-detour-122049839.html

Edited by ftldave
add txt

• 4 months later...
A political precaution. I doubt it had anything to do with Russia directly, but rather the risks of Germany declaring a form of neutrality and preventing the flight from continuing, or possibly just to prevent any political embarrassment for the Germans.

A political precaution. I doubt it had anything to do with Russia directly, but rather the risks of Germany declaring a form of neutrality and preventing the flight from continuing, or possibly just to prevent any political embarrassment for the Germans.

Flying military aircraft in Germany must be a problem for the UK. Last time, we, er, didn't stop!

I doubt political machinations had anything to do with it, more likely avoiding landing fees or currency restrictions! UK pilots don't automatically carry Euros y'know...

At the time of my original post, it was certainly political. Germany was in deep for cheap Russian gas\oil, very dependent, and is going to be hard pressed to get away from it now. But that was in January. Things are changing since then.

We've seen the like before. I remember when US military planes skirted Euro airspace on the way to strike Libya, when Kaddafi was in power there.