Frozen gauges in FS2004 on new Windows 10 PC

gcarty

Last Wednesday my PC died on me (most likely a motherboard failure as when I turned it on I got no video signal nor any beep from the PC speaker) and needed to be replaced. I've now got most of my software installed on the new PC, but FS2004 still isn't working properly.

I installed FS2004 from my CDs, followed by the 9.1 update and the NO-CD crack (as is required on Windows 10 due to its lack of secdrv.sys support: the same was true on the now-dead PC).

While I can start up FS2004 and load a flight, the instrument panel is completely useless as the panel gauges and switches won't update (even on the default Cessna 172), except at the moment when FS2004 is switched between "Windowed" and "Full Screen" modes.

What could be the problem with my FS2004 installation?

Please help...

I'd immediately suspect an xml support issue … most gauges these days are xml based, but it could be screen resolution … try a basic screen resolution, 800x600 or similar. If that works move up from there.

I seem to remember there was an xml update that affected FS9, but I can't find reference to it at the moment :(

You write "load a flight" … might be a problem there … try "creating a flight" to a default airfield from the start screen and see if that works.

Edited by chris_eve

My standard first question with these types of (strange) problems just after (re-)installing FS9 is, did you do a default install instead of a so called "custom" one ?

A "default" install automatically installs into a controlled Widows area where completely normal FS9 functions are then regarded as being security attacks on your system, which consequently results in totally unexpected and unpredictable issues within you FS9.

A "custom" install then becomes necessary whereby it's most important to install into C.. "Program Files" or preferably into a non "C" partition and therefore outside of the Windows's security controlled area.

Regards

Hans

So.. Do not install to it's default C:\Program Files directory, but to C:\

Maybe try to right-click the FS9.exe, then Properties, then select Compatibility, choose XP mose, then tick Run as Administrator.

Maybe that will do it.

Have you seen my Sticky on the top of this forum with regard to installing into Windows 10.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I knew all about the issues with the default directory (it would be under C:\Program Files (x86) actually given I expect we mostly have 64-bit Windows these days) but that won't be the case for me.

I installed to D:\Flight\FS9 -- the Flight directory also includes directories for FSX and for my flight simulation related development tools and source codes.

Incidentally I had a problem in FSX with all-white aircraft (no textures) which I fixed yesterday by turning off the "Preview DirectX 10" option...

I'd immediately suspect an xml support issue … most gauges these days are xml based, but it could be screen resolution … try a basic screen resolution, 800x600 or similar. If that works move up from there.

I seem to remember there was an xml update that affected FS9, but I can't find reference to it at the moment :(

You write "load a flight" … might be a problem there … try "creating a flight" to a default airfield from the start screen and see if that works.

Actually I created a flight with the default Cessna 172, which I've confirmed uses the compiled Cessna.gau, not XML gauges.

Tried dropping the screen res to 800 x 600 and that didn't do anything...

Try checking/unchecking Render To Texture in Options/Settings/Display/Hardware?

Check that your Virtual Cockpit Gauge Quality is set to High in Options/Settings/Display/Aircraft?

Nope -- tried both of those too, and they didn't work...

Edited by gcarty

Hi.

It does sound to me like a driver problem but can I suggest you disable your fs9.cfg and let FS9 build a new one, just to be sure it's not some obscure configuration problem internal to FS9?

Also, I just did a 5 second search for DX10. Am I right in thinking that if it has the preview option, then it's an incomplete version? You could try a different version though I can't make a suggestion -- I'm at work and have no idea which one I have at home...

D

I know nothing about debugging software or processes and imagine anyway that you'd need a healthy setup for comparison. Fifteen or so years ago I used to make occasional use of Microsoft's sysinternals site:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-utilities

There may be something useful there but that low level stuff is beyond me now.

Out of interest, what OS have you installed? If you have Win 10, do a few FS window changes and then take a look for errors in Event Viewer.

Also, did you manually install any versions of .net?

D

Edited by defaid

Out of interest, what OS have you installed? If you have Win 10, do a few FS window changes and then take a look for errors in Event Viewer.
Tried running FS2004 with Event Viewer running but I didn't see anything untoward.

Two things I have noticed which could be significant:

1. My problem is specific to 2D panels: the Virtual Cockpit (on planes that have one) works normally, and

2. It isn't just switching between Windowed and Full Screen mode that redraws the gauges, resizing the panel window will also do it, as will closing then reopening it.

Also, did you manually install any versions of .net?
No I haven't: does FS2004 use .net for anything?

:confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: Has no-one had this problem before with their FS2004?

George

Tried running FS2004 with Event Viewer running but I didn't see anything untoward.

Two things I have noticed which could be significant:

1. My problem is specific to 2D panels: the Virtual Cockpit (on planes that have one) works normally, and

2. It isn't just switching between Windowed and Full Screen mode that redraws the gauges, resizing the panel window will also do it, as will closing then reopening it.

No I haven't: does FS2004 use .net for anything?

:confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: Has no-one had this problem before with their FS2004?

George

No. When I last used FS2004 the current OS was Win 98/7.

Didn't use .net or DX12...

does FS2004 use .net for anything?

It may depend on what else you have installed. Some more stuff to think about...

Is your new FS9 installation still vanilla (I guess yes because I think all stock planes have a VC)?

Have you installed any addon planes (I guess as above)?

All gauges?

All planes?

Does other stuff in 2d panels update correctly on the fly (thinking throttle, mixture, flaps, trim wheel & caps)?

Are you running FS9 in parallel with or linked to any other apps?

Do you still have Defender running?

What happens to gauges in popup panels when you're using the VC (might narrow down to gauge rather than panel rather than view)?

Is the GPS's moving map working correctly?

Have you rebuilt FS9.cfg?

Or is your current copy one that's ported from a backup of your old installation?

D

Edited by defaid

Is your new FS9 installation still vanilla (I guess yes because I think all stock planes have a VC)?

Plain vanilla install: want to rule out any general issues before adding any third-party planes!

All gauges and planes seem affected.

Does other stuff in 2d panels update correctly on the fly (thinking throttle, mixture, flaps, trim wheel & caps)?
No: nothing is updating

Are you running FS9 in parallel with or linked to any other apps?
No.

Do you still have Defender running?
I think my new PC has a trial version of some Norton antivirus software.

What happens to gauges in popup panels when you're using the VC (might narrow down to gauge rather than panel rather than view)?
Just checked: it seems like the gauges work correctly in popup panels when in VC mode.

Is the GPS's moving map working correctly?
No, it's frozen just like all the other gauges.

Have you rebuilt FS9.cfg?

Or is your current copy one that's ported from a backup of your old installation?

No, just using the FS9.cfg initially created when FS2004 was installed.

Hope this helps,

George

Just checked: it seems like the gauges work correctly in popup panels when in VC mode.

Assuming the popup panels that work in VC still fail to work in 2d, it must be a fault related to the view. Given that the gauges update whenever the view is refreshed, that does suggest the fault is something external to FS9. Perhaps something is only running on demand when it should be running constantly, though that doesn't explain why it only happens in the 2d view.

Can you pull up a second window inside the VC? It's the [ key or the ] key by default. Does the fault persist in the secondary window while VC & popups work ok?

It could be something simple like a .dll that needs an update but then it's a new installation of OS & sim so they should all be up to date.

"... running on demand when it should be running constantly" or only running when it's permitted? Without wanting to seem condescending, have you tried disabling your anti-virus?

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas but there must be someone here who has a grasp of graphics & display drivers.

D

Edited by defaid

Still no fix. :(

Tried running in Windows XP Service Pack 3 mode as administrator, but that didn't fix the problem either. Didn't try that initially because I never needed to do that on my last Windows 10 PC...

Does FS9 launch if you don't apply any compatibility modes and without run as admin or do one or both of these need to be checked?

Mark Daniels