Difference between initial climb and enroute climb?

captarnaud

While mallcott has the general idea right, more specific information is:

In light aircraft, the initial climb is the climb until you are out of the pattern, then (on a trip) in so many aircraft you ease the nose down to a higher airspeed climb, which reduces the rate of climb but provides for better engine cooling (not a big deal on a C-172), as well as better over-the-nose visibility. You would typically maintain this enroute climb until reaching cruising altitude, barring additional restrictions.

When on an IFR flight plan, there may be some differences at times, due to ATC instructions, but in general it's the same.

In typical bizjets and airliners, initial is as above, then it depends, but generally (in the U.S. -- other places may be different), there is an intermediate climb to get above 10,000 MSL, when they can go to a more normal enroute climb rate. Sometimes there are step climbs* and when those are above 10,000 MSL they are typically done as enroute, unless the pilot has a reason to do something different.

==============================================

* A step climb is when an aircraft is cleared to a certain altitude that is below his intended cruise altitude (usually done for traffic conflicts), then after some period of time is cleared for further climb, maybe to another intermediate altitude or maybe to cruise altitude, depending on the traffic conflicts that ATC sees.

The reason I specify 10,000 MSL in the U.S. is that there is a 250 knot speed limit below 10,000, and once they get above it they are free to use a higher climb airspeed, which often is advantageous in one or more ways, either cooling, travel time or other things.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

While mallcott has the general idea right, more specific information is:

In light aircraft, the initial climb is the climb until you are out of the pattern, then (on a trip) in so many aircraft you ease the nose down to a higher airspeed climb, which reduces the rate of climb but provides for better engine cooling (not a big deal on a C-172), as well as better over-the-nose visibility. You would typically maintain this enroute climb until reaching cruising altitude, barring additional restrictions.

When on an IFR flight plan, there may be some differences at times, due to ATC instructions, but in general it's the same.

In typical bizjets and airliners, initial is as above, then it depends, but generally (in the U.S. -- other places may be different), there is an intermediate climb to get above 10,000 MSL, when they can go to a more normal enroute climb rate. Sometimes there are step climbs* and when those are above 10,000 MSL they are typically done as enroute, unless the pilot has a reason to do something different.

==============================================

* A step climb is when an aircraft is cleared to a certain altitude that is below his intended cruise altitude (usually done for traffic conflicts), then after some period of time is cleared for further climb, maybe to another intermediate altitude or maybe to cruise altitude, depending on the traffic conflicts that ATC sees.

The reason I specify 10,000 MSL in the U.S. is that there is a 250 knot speed limit below 10,000, and once they get above it they are free to use a higher climb airspeed, which often is advantageous in one or more ways, either cooling, travel time or other things.

The complex answer is, technically, correct. But mine was definitely an answer to what was a basic question. If our OP needed more detail he only had to ask. But thanks for the complex reply.

If there are further questions, I leave it to you... I ignored the detail unless/until the OP expanded on his question by inlcuding greater detail on the type and nature of the aircraft. The `250 knot` limit may or may not be relevant.

Judging by your screen name captarnaud, I would venture a guess that this question pertains to flying a commercial jet as opposed to a GA aircraft. Like Larry, I like to elaborate on simple questions to give a little more info than was requested.

A typical commercial jet flight, for me, would be KSFO to KSAN (this was done in real life many times). Typical cruise altitude would be FLT380 for the near 500 mile flight. I always flew IFR and depended on ATC for turns and for altitude adjustments. I would set the A/P and and A/T just after takeoff and wheels up.

Flying a Southwest 737-800, climb rate of 1,800 FPM and speed set to 250KIAS until passing 10,000 feet.

After that, setting climb rate down to about 1500-1600FPM and adjust speed to 280KIAS. After reaching each altitude given by ATC, I would reduce slightly, the climb rate and would then switch to MACH instead of using KIAS eventually reaching the cruise altitude.

ATC is rather notorious for not giving you descent orders soon enough to prepare for your landing, so I would request my own descent about 150 miles from destination.

Good luck on your flights and happy landings! ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Judging by your screen name captarnaud, I would venture a guess that this question pertains to flying a commercial jet as opposed to a GA aircraft. Like Larry, I like to elaborate on simple questions to give a little more info than was requested.

A typical commercial jet flight, for me, would be KSFO to KSAN (this was done in real life many times). Typical cruise altitude would be FLT380 for the near 500 mile flight. I always flew IFR and depended on ATC for turns and for altitude adjustments. I would set the A/P and and A/T just after takeoff and wheels up.

Flying a Southwest 737-800, climb rate of 1,800 FPM and speed set to 250KIAS until passing 10,000 feet.

After that, setting climb rate down to about 1500-1600FPM and adjust speed to 280KIAS. After reaching each altitude given by ATC, I would reduce slightly, the climb rate and would then switch to MACH instead of using KIAS eventually reaching the cruise altitude.

ATC is rather notorious for not giving you descent orders soon enough to prepare for your landing, so I would request my own descent about 150 miles from destination.

Good luck on your flights and happy landings! ;)

I'd be inclined NOT to make such an assumption. But assuming a jet I'd need to add something about NOISE reduction after take off, as all airports share NOISE issues unless they're in the middle of nowhere.

The complex answer is, technically, correct. But mine was definitely an answer to what was a basic question. If our OP needed more detail he only had to ask. But thanks for the complex reply.

It was definitely a basic answer answer to a basic question, and I was going to not say more about your answer, but it was too basic and I felt it might mislead him a bit, since enroute covers a lot more than the time after reaching cruise altitude, including most of the time until reaching cruise altitude, whether you're a C-182 going from 500 MSL to a cruise altitude of 9500 or a jet climbing into the flight levels.

If there are further questions, I leave it to you... I ignored the detail unless/until the OP expanded on his question by inlcuding greater detail on the type and nature of the aircraft. The `250 knot` limit may or may not be relevant.

I felt that in this case the OP didn't know enough to know what to ask, as so many don't, but it felt as if he really wanted more.

So we obviously differ in our approaches to answering questions, which is fine with me, and so often I feel your responses are quite good, but this one seemed a bit sparse. Maybe it's just the CFI in me coming out, because this is the approach that was needed for real life students, and it became a habit. I certainly didn't expect to upset you though, so I'm sorry that I did.

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

IMO Inuss gave the most informed reply..... Stop fighting lol All these questions can be demonstrated on Youtube, your free flight school...... Youtube is very aviation friendly..... Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

All the answers given here were informative, but since my life has taken a turn in flying, now sim only, I fly "whatever toots my horn!" In a flight sim environment, the airplane may many times give you the feel of what makes it happy! Sounds bizarre from a RW pilot's point-of-view, but with aircraft there is no "one size fits all!"

Most definitely, YouTube is a very valuable source, not only for learning, but also from an entertainment platform. Also, this forum and many other site's forums are great sources of information! Unless, the OP is using this flight sim platform as a source for learning and wants to do things by the numbers, then, by all means, do what's best for you and enjoy it for what it is! If you want RW, find a good flight instructor and let him/her not only tell you, but also show you "the right way!"

I respect Larry's POV from an instructor's knowledge, Mr Z's & Malcott's POV from RW flying experiences, BUT, take them all in and see what works best for you! Your research isn't over here, there are a lot of RW pilots out there that do things differently, but, all have one goal in common and that is to return to earth Safe and Sound!:rolleyes:

Flight sim is no place for "splitting hairs" amongst each other!

JMHO

Rick :cool::cool:

I've found all information replies in this thread very informative. (Am only messing with the Cessna 172 for now, but desire is to graduate up to airliner stuff someday, so the complex replies including mrzippy's RW airline info is very handy). The key golden rule is 'LOW and SLOW is a killer', so only be in that zone on take-off and final approach for landing. Hence, initial climb goal is to get to a safe altitude as quickly as possible, e.g. circuit height (nominally 1000 ft above ground level, AGL) or above. Doesn't matter what aircraft type, GA or bigger. Planes don't perform well if used as a farmer's plough, they don't like burying themselves in dirt, and the only part to touch the ground should be the tyres. (Captarnaud's other post is related What-is-the-safe-altitude-to-make-a-turn-after-take-off.) Edited by MAD1

I've found all information replies in this thread very informative. (Am only messing with the Cessna 172 for now, but desire is to graduate up to airliner stuff someday, so the complex replies including mrzippy's RW airline info is very handy). The key golden rule is 'LOW and SLOW is a killer', so only be in that zone on take-off and final approach for landing. Hence, initial climb goal is to get to a safe altitude as quickly as possible, e.g. circuit height (nominally 1000 ft above ground level, AGL) or above. Doesn't matter what aircraft type, GA or bigger. Planes don't perform well if used as a farmer's plough, they don't like burying themselves in dirt, and the only part to touch the ground should be the tyres. (Captarnaud's other post is related What-is-the-safe-altitude-to-make-a-turn-after-take-off.)

Hi, as per my post immediately before yours, I think you will find initial climb is about best angle of climb, not best rate of climb - there is a difference. Cheers.

Frank, initial climb isn't JUST about best angle (Vx) -- it's ONE TYPE of initial climb -- when there are obstacles to be cleared that Vy might not clear by a reasonable margin.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

It was definitely a basic answer answer to a basic question, and I was going to not say more about your answer, but it was too basic and I felt it might mislead him a bit, since enroute covers a lot more than the time after reaching cruise altitude, including most of the time until reaching cruise altitude, whether you're a C-182 going from 500 MSL to a cruise altitude of 9500 or a jet climbing into the flight levels.

I felt that in this case the OP didn't know enough to know what to ask, as so many don't, but it felt as if he really wanted more.

So we obviously differ in our approaches to answering questions, which is fine with me, and so often I feel your responses are quite good, but this one seemed a bit sparse. Maybe it's just the CFI in me coming out, because this is the approach that was needed for real life students, and it became a habit. I certainly didn't expect to upset you though, so I'm sorry that I did.

I cannot disagree, but my CFI told me early on: `just answer the bloody question` and to not make assumptions abouit what the questions may, or may not, actually be.

My reply acknowledged only that we should not assume an over-complicated reply is the correct one. If one question gives rise to another, he can always come back and ask... KISS rules in this forum, as it's for Newcomers after all!