Airplanes on TV

Just to let fellow sim pilots know. A new TV series on the air. Called RFDS or Royal Flying Doctor Service. Takes place in Australia, where in the rugged outback, the medical emergency people can fly to remote locations. You can decide whether you like the human drama in the shows but it features nice shots of Beech King Airs flying around and rugged Australian scenery.

I believe it is available on PBS. I see it with a subscription to PBS Masterpiece on Amazon Prime.

Hmm, yes, there used to be a TV show, half hour long, featuring rescues in New Zealand by these people:

https://rescuehelicopter.com.au/our-stories/

They often featured BK-117 being used for medical evacuations, but a few fixed wing turboprops made an appearance too.

Then there was Inside Combat Rescue, which featured a USAF Sikorsky HH-60 Pave Hawk crews with PJ's doing rescues in Afghanistan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Combat_Rescue

Watching someone try to put IV needles into someone, rig up the bags and tubes, with zero floorspace, in a very loud moving aircraft, while people struggle with their lives... unforgetable.

Being older than dirt I recall when Sky King was on radio, then later on TV with a Cessna Bobcat (T-50 Bamboo Bomber) before he switched to the Cessna 310. I also remember Whirlybirds (with the Bell 47) on TV, just a little later.

After writing the above I wondered if I recalled correctly on the Bobcat, so I looked at Wikipedia and confirmed it, as well as this statement, which I had not known:

The craft was a World War II surplus UC-78B, owned by legendary Hollywood pilot Paul Mantz[13] and flown by employees of his Paul Mantz Aerial Services for filming the flying sequences.

And it also said:

The best-known Songbird was a 1957[3] twin-engine Cessna 310B used in episodes 40 through 72. It was the second production 310B (tail number N5348A), provided by Cessna at no cost to the producers and piloted by Cessna's national sales manager for the 310, Bill Fergusson. Fergusson got the job after the motion picture pilot already selected was deemed unqualified to land the airplane at some of the off-airport sites required. Some months after a library of stock footage had been compiled, additional sequences were filmed using a different airplane.[15] Cockpit sequences were filmed using the static test fuselage, also provided by Cessna.[16] The original 310B was eventually destroyed in a crash at Delano, California, in 1962, which killed its owner-pilot.[17] A 1962 310D took its place.[3] A third 310, “Song Bird III,” was used for publicity photos. It is still flying today, making appearances at airshows in a modified Sky King livery.[3]

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I'd heard about Captain Midnight, but neither the radio nor the TV version made it to our small town in Texas -- didn't even get TV until 1953, and we got a set a year later -- and I notice that Wikipedia says they featured (as you picture) the Douglas D-558-2 Skyrocket, which of course was somewhat futuristic at the time.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Isn't this more an outer marker post?

Well it’s certainly not FS2020 :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I remember as a kid there used to be a flying doctor series on TV here in the UK, I can't remember what aircraft they used though, I wasn't that interested then.

Col.

This one, Colin??

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

@MrZippy

TY Charlie, yes that was the one, it came flooding back once it started and I remembered the blind man in it too. I still don't know what aircraft that is they were flying?

Col.

Easy-Peasy! It is a de Havilland Australia DHA-3 Drover.

download.jpeg

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️